Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Desert Space Port
Photo posted by gary phillips in the Landscape gallery on 09/27/16 at 11:39 pm EST
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

I spent a stormy night in the Southern Nevada desert last week.  I got there a little late for the evening shoot, but had a nice morning.  I liked the surreal feel of this particular area and love the crazy features that are spread around this isolated desert.

iso100, 17-40mm @ 17mm, f/11, 1/125s

I appreciate your comments and critiques.

Better large.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 09/28/16 at 09:07 am EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

Outstanding image, Gary. Fascinating desert landscape; well composed; terrific sky; excellent BW processing. devil

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 09/28/16 at 09:14 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Excellent. Great sky and fascinating formations, along with a fine mix of light. You do have luck with the skies!

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 09/28/16 at 11:34 am EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

Wow, very intriguing formations - quite an alien landscape. And some terrific clouds as well. You have some real nice leading lines and the overall comp. works well. Processing looks good. Only thought is to burn down the fore/mid ground a bit. It seems a tad bright on my monitor.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 09/29/16 at 08:26 am EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments
Comment last edited by Igor Doncov on 09/29/16 at 08:31 am EST

The leading in the lower section and the clouds give this image a clockwise whirlpool feel to it. There's a great sense of energy with all those curved lines leading into those rocks. And that's where you eyes come to rest. This really needs to be seen in the LARGE version to fully appreciate the center of focus. For me that area reminds me with cliff dwellings. The entire structure suggests a thriving community that has vanished. There's a ghostly sense about it. The postprocessing, as always, is impeccable. The sky suggests that this scene may have been quite colorful. I wonder if a color image would have worked as well. Don't have much to offer as suggestions, which are minor. Would dodging the dark rock at the very top to add texture improve or worsen things? Would having the rocks on the left not extend to the frame help things?

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark James Ford on 09/29/16 at 2:02 pm EST    
Registered on 01/16/15, 60 Posts, 430 Comments

Hi Gary - really like this BW version - The composition is great with the flowing and converging lines and the atmosphere wonderful.  Can't offer any suggestions enlightened ... 

Mark James Ford    
Wiesbaden, Germany
www.markjamesford.photography

All Photos and Comments by Mark James Ford

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 09/29/16 at 5:15 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Gary, What an impressive location and you captured it wonderfully with this image. I like this composition very much and as always your processing looks great. Love those clouds too! Very,very interesting seeing this. I agree with Igor that it certainly does make one think of cliff dwellings.

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 09/29/16 at 9:01 pm EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

Stunning image Gary. Love it!

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 09/30/16 at 12:54 am EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

Oh wow Gary!  This is a stunning B&W.  Love the lines and the flow.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 10/01/16 at 12:15 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Gary, this is great, with the strong sense of flow both in the foreground rocks and the clouds leading to that amazing honeycomb rock formation.  The larger view puts me RIGHT THERE!  There a notably different color cast to the 720 vs 1600 px versions with the larger version being warmer and more inviting.  Love displaying it large and getting my nose closer and closer...

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Marylynne Diggs on 10/01/16 at 9:56 pm EST    
Registered on 12/14/10, 122 Posts, 1034 Comments

Nature's condo in a storm, for sure.  I really like this, the composition, the processing, the alternating darks and lights on the right side.  No nits from me.
ML

ML Diggs
Portland OR

Personal Website    Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Marylynne Diggs Gallery of Marylynne Diggs

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership