Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Moulton Barn
Photo posted by Eva McDermott in the POP Photos gallery on 08/24/16 at 10:19 pm EST
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

Grand Teton National Park, Wyoming.  I guess everyone and their mother has taken a photo of this barn.  Here is my version.

Thanks for looking.  Many thanks for your comments and critiques.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Marylynne Diggs on 08/24/16 at 11:26 pm EST    
Registered on 12/14/10, 122 Posts, 1034 Comments

Great sky!  I'm undecided about the comp. I feel like the barn is facing out of the frame, but having never been there, perhaps there is a distraction on that side that needed to be cropped or framed out of the shot.  I can imagine a little more tonal separation between the grass amd fence/barn..more true darks in general perhaps?  Still this is a lovely scene.  Looking forward to hearing advice from others on it too.
ML

ML Diggs
Portland OR

Personal Website    Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Marylynne Diggs Gallery of Marylynne Diggs

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 08/25/16 at 07:26 am EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

I guess everyone and their mother has taken a photo of this barn.

True, Eva, so kudos to you for getting one of the best images I've seen from here! Love the conversion, dramatic sky, and graphic feel. Really stands out. I have no suggestions. Looks great to me as is.

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by SandyRichardsBrown on 08/25/16 at 10:21 am EST    
Registered on 11/24/03, 3937 Posts, 12909 Comments

Beautiful sky, and I like the B&W treatment.  Not so sure about the tight comp , and the barn  seems slightly off-level - perhaps only visually, since the fence lines are not parallel.
I think this perspective might work better if the barn was not tight in the frame. There is lots of room in this spot to  back off quite a bit.
Sandy

Sandy Richards-Brown, NPN #0367
Brookings, Oregon (summer/fall) and Sedona, Arizona (winter/spring)   
PNW and RMNP  Regional Member 
NATURE'S MAJESTY IMAGING
http://naturesmajestyimaging.zenfolio.com/

"All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
Each little flower that opens, Each little bird that sings, He made their glowing colors, He made their tiny wings."

- Ce­cil F. Al­ex­an­der, Hymns for Lit­tle Child­ren, 1848, Ireland

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by SandyRichardsBrown Gallery of SandyRichardsBrown

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Sandor on 08/25/16 at 11:17 am EST    
Registered on 01/12/14, 453 Posts, 1625 Comments

Eva: I guess that I'm the only one who has not shot this barn laugh. My only suggestion would be to increase the contrast a bit by setting a black point. Fine otherwise. Richard

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Richard Sandor Gallery of Richard Sandor

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 09/02/16 at 1:17 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

I like your composition, Eva. I think it balances nicely. You might experiment with increasing the mid-tones contrast and perhaps deepening the blacks just a bit. If possible, you might try bringing down the high values in the sky. The tones in shadowed face of the barn look quite nice.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Reno DiTullio on 09/16/16 at 10:58 pm EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 130 Posts, 1644 Comments

Eva, ditto on Preston's response, I'd like to see a little more contrast in the barn and a touch darker, well done.

Reno - Salinas, CA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Reno DiTullio Gallery of Reno DiTullio

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership