Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Nature's jiggsaw - II
Photo posted by Roel Wijtmans in the Landscape gallery on 05/05/16 at 03:26 am EST
Registered on 09/30/12, 116 Posts, 2257 Comments

Taken very close to the other "nature's jiggsaw" post from some time back. A nice rock formation in Iceland.

f/16, ISO 100, 1.3 s, 35 mm.

C&C welcome, large version is included.

Roel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Roel Wijtmans Gallery of Roel Wijtmans
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 05/05/16 at 6:42 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

I like the concept, here, Roel, but I think it looks a little flat--it could use a bump in contrast and perhaps some tweaking of saturation to pop the color a bit. I like the textures and the detail.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 05/05/16 at 6:58 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

I like Preston's suggestions and would be curious to see it bumped.  

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 05/05/16 at 10:04 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

I like this. Has a pleasing monochromatic, graphic look. I agree with the suggestions to play around with increasing the mid-tone contrast and bumping up the saturation. I would also play with the temp to see what a cooler rendering would look like.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 05/06/16 at 12:34 am EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

That's an interesting wall, Roel.  I really like the smaller round stones tucked in among the ledges and holes.  I like the suggestions to play with mids and maybe pop it a bit. Well seen.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 05/08/16 at 1:53 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Yes, indeed, this is a great collection of shapes and textures, Roel.  There's a fine balance with the transitions from lots of small cracks and layers in the upper left to the larger, smoother textures in the lower right.  The textures and subtle colors look great.  Just for fun, I wonder how this would look if you really pushed the contrast hard to make it much more abstract.  I'm not sure that would be better, just different.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ryan Shain on 05/10/16 at 11:02 pm EST    
Registered on 02/20/07, 226 Posts, 4571 Comments

Hi Roel,

I am digging the the shapes, lines and textures in this fine image. The study of rock shape and form is top notch in this capture.

I had a thought for you. Have you tried to really push contrast, clarity or structure, whites, black, and anything else you can think pof to see what you come up with? Heck  maybe even a black and white conversion could be cool.

Ryan Shain
Joliet, IL

The universal Mind contains all knowledge. It is the ultimate potential of all things. To it, all things are possible.

Ernest Holmes

All Photos and Comments by Ryan Shain

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Peter Richter on 05/14/16 at 01:42 am EST    
Registered on 11/10/10, 218 Posts, 2723 Comments

Roel, your framing of this abstract intimate scene is spot on to my eye. I especially enjoy the three dimensional feel to it. The image was obviously taken under diffused lighting conditions, and the subtlety in your presentation fits in well in my opinion. You convey your personal experience of this moment in a convincing way to me.

Peter

Peter Richter
Vienna, Austria

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Peter Richter Gallery of Peter Richter

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ian Wolfenden on 05/26/16 at 2:25 pm EST    
Registered on 05/18/07, 1108 Posts, 7647 Comments

While it would certainly be interesting to see how greater contrast worked ( and you may already have rejected that idea ) this works for me as is.  A perfectly seen abstraction from this rock formation - the rocks seeming to move like waves over the depths.

Manchester, England

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ian Wolfenden Gallery of Ian Wolfenden

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership