Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Secret Rendezvous
Photo posted by Ian Cameron in the Man & Nature gallery on 03/29/16 at 07:10 am EST
Registered on 08/06/04, 1125 Posts, 3318 Comments
Post last edited by Jim Erhardt on 04/08/16 at 4:25 pm EST

Alpbach, Austria, Europe

I was standing gazing out of the window of my hotel room in Alpbach watching a beautiful slow motion fall of heavy snow in totally windless conditions a few minutes after sunset. A small timber hut nearly half a mile away nestled into an as yet green field and a lone figure had wandered out and knocked and entered the building. About 15 minutes later he re-emerged and darkness had fallen still further lending a sinister slant to the scene which I hope I have captured here. In order to freeze the snowflakes and obtain a reasonable depth of field to keep their shape in the foreground I had to use an extensive depth of field and a high ISO 3200. I think it works well.

Please view LARGE...

NEW!! Photographic workshops and masterclasses and fine art cards are now available at TRANSIENT LIGHT

FujiFilm X-T1 ,Fujinon XF55-200mmF3.5-4.8 R LM OIS ,ISO 3200
f/13 at 1/80 Second, ISO 3200

Ian Cameron
Transient Light

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Ian Cameron Gallery of Ian Cameron
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ian Cameron on 03/29/16 at 07:13 am EST    
Registered on 08/06/04, 1125 Posts, 3318 Comments
Comment last edited by Ian Cameron on 03/29/16 at 07:14 am EST

I wanted you to have a look at the mono version too which also resonates with me.  Interested to know whether you prefer the black and white or the colour version of the shot.  Still not sure myself.

Press picture to see it large...

Ian Cameron
Transient Light

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ian Cameron Gallery of Ian Cameron

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Williams on 03/29/16 at 11:29 pm EST    
Registered on 12/28/10, 636 Posts, 3499 Comments

I think I prefer the colorized version Ian. This is a really dramatic scene. Love the dimensions of the towering mountain and trees against the small hut and the even smaller (insignificant?) person. Nice story, worth well more than a thousand words.

Ed Williams
www.chasindaylight.com
La Habra, CA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Williams Gallery of Ed Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 04/03/16 at 4:20 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Ian, Yes,it works very well and I really like what you captured here. I prefer the color version as well. I think you really captured the mood you felt.

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 04/05/16 at 12:20 pm EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

Wonderfully moody scene Ian.  I like the color version better but the B&W also has a lot of character and looks like an old photograph.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership