Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Red Rock Canyon NV
Photo posted by Eva McDermott in the Landscape gallery on 03/16/16 at 12:31 am EST
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

Just after sunrise in Red Rock Canyon NV.  I know, not a seascape.  Just happen to be in Las Vegas for an electronics conference and brought my cameras just in case......

Thanks for looking and for any input.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stephen Stanton on 03/16/16 at 12:45 am EST    
Registered on 03/01/15, 54 Posts, 453 Comments

Nice image, Eva, I like balance throughout, and a cooperative sky, the foreground is well presented. Might suggest a bit more vibrance or clarity in the mid tones of the rock formations.  Nice capture of the Red Rock, LV area. 

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Stephen Stanton Gallery of Stephen Stanton

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Elizabeth Holbrook on 03/16/16 at 10:02 am EST    
Registered on 05/06/15, 43 Posts, 221 Comments

I like the overall tones.  The canyons are so beautiful and full of color.  It is difficult to express the true beauty in photography, but you did it!

Elizabeth Holbrook
Douglasville,GA
Every day is a new adventure.
I am delighted to participate!

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Elizabeth Holbrook Gallery of Elizabeth Holbrook

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Roel Wijtmans on 03/16/16 at 11:50 am EST    
Registered on 09/30/12, 116 Posts, 2257 Comments

Yeah, I always must have some sort of camera with, even if it is my compact camera. Without a camera I feel naked, haha. Probably lots of similar minded nuts out here on this site.

The light is sweet, and I really find this an inviting portrait of this landscape, despite it not being a very hospitable place. Love that small extra detail of those nicely colored layers in the rocks.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Roel Wijtmans Gallery of Roel Wijtmans

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 03/16/16 at 12:15 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

It does seem strange not seeing a seascape from you, but this will do nicely, Eva. The soft light is wonderful and I like the way you filled the frame with the FG vegetation. My only suggestion would be a bit more saturation for the scene. Nicely done.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 03/16/16 at 12:48 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

Very nice image. Near/far comp. works well anchored with the foreground yuccas. Sky saturation looks fine to me but agree with Ed that you might play with upping the saturation a bit on the land.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Teller on 03/16/16 at 2:25 pm EST    
Registered on 08/23/10, 1162 Posts, 6692 Comments

Nice light, very nice composition. A very nice feel to the image. If I had any nit at all it would be the partial plant in the llc. 

Richard Teller
Scottsbluff, NE
teller-nature-photography.redframe.com

The mountains and the seashore scream at you, but the prairie whispers and you have to stop and listen.
Don't shoot what it looks like, shoot what it feels like. David Alan Harvey

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Richard Teller Gallery of Richard Teller

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 03/16/16 at 8:06 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Hi Eva, I think this looks really nice. It has such a wonderfully natural feel that makes me feel like I'm standing right there enjoying this scene with you. Even nicer in the larger version.

Nick Bristol
lone Rock, WI

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Pete Bengeyfield on 03/17/16 at 12:06 pm EST    
Registered on 12/02/03, 1247 Posts, 3439 Comments

Nice use of the yucca in the FG.

Pete Bengeyfield
apbengey@gmail.com
http://bengeyphotos.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Pete Bengeyfield Gallery of Pete Bengeyfield

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Albert Darmo on 03/17/16 at 12:14 pm EST    
Registered on 11/25/08, 1386 Posts, 11978 Comments

Hi  Eva crying The large version  is  a  must  see to appreciate   the natural  and  realistic  qualities  of  this image.   seems  like i'm  standing there.  the  FG vegetation  gives us  a wonderful sense of scale

Albert Darmo
Canada

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Albert Darmo Gallery of Albert Darmo

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 03/17/16 at 2:42 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

You had some really nice light for this image. It has an early morning in the desert feel to it. The large version is must because of the details in those mountains that add so much to this image. And even in those blades from the yuccas. Nice image. It has a deceptively simple look to it but is really quite beautiful. The yucca peaking from llc doesn't bother me, in fact the image would be more static if that was open dirt to match the other corner. I'm a real fan of these yuccas because they're real attention getters. They're like green explosions.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 03/17/16 at 3:44 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

Very nice, Eva. This is a fine desert image. I do agree with boosting the saturation/vibrance of the of the rock and the foreground, but only just a little. The sky looks just right. Well done!

--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Zablotny on 03/18/16 at 07:48 am EST    
Registered on 01/17/04, 705 Posts, 3594 Comments

Hi Eva,

Well done.  I have no nits--comp and colors are spot on.  Partial plant in lh corner is not a big issue and contributes to the diagonal of green with the other yuccas............................Jim

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim Zablotny Gallery of Jim Zablotny

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 03/18/16 at 10:48 am EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

I'm really enjoying this Eva.  Love the detail in the FG; reminds me of Paul Breitkreuz's work in that I can walk around and explore the area in front of the camera (I love that about Paul's work).  The large version is a genuine pleasure to view.

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 03/18/16 at 12:11 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Eva,

This is quite lovely - well, let's say you've crafted a beautiful, lovely image, of a harsh environment; even making it look inviting.  The light here is lovely too; a bit diffused and so not overly bright or harsh.

Nothing to be critical of here, but a couple of minor suggestions.  I think a mild s-curve curves layer would work nicely with this one. Also, very minor, but I could see burning down the LR area a little bit.  Otherwise, this is very well done.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 03/18/16 at 8:06 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Impressive rock formations.  Considering the time of day and the long shadows, I think the suggestions that have been made would help out the image and bring a bit more of that wow just after sunrise lighting can bring.  The FG seems to be sliding downhill to the left, so I might try a slight rotation to see how it feel to you.  While the land may have this pitch, it makes me feel a little less balanced as the viewer, if that makes any sense.  I think the tones and shadows might lend itself to a nice BW conversion as well.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership