Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Forget about the aurora!
Photo posted by Roel Wijtmans in the Landscape gallery on 03/13/16 at 1:11 pm EST
Registered on 09/30/12, 116 Posts, 2257 Comments

Earlier this day the skies were clear, which was quite the unique event during my seven weeks in Iceland, so I wanted to try to take some night shots, and I remembered this small and primitive campground next to this waterfall, which I thought might make a nice foreground. So I made my way to the campground and prepared everything for some night photography. But then again, this was Iceland, and as you can see from the photo, the skies were clear not for very long....
I made this pic the day after before hitting the road again in misty, drizzling, wet conditions. But I really like the two greens in this photo, and I have a weak spot for waterfalls (who doesn't?), so I am pretty happy with this "next best thing" shot.

19 mm, f/16, 2.5 sec, iso 100, polarizer

C&C welcome, large version is included!

Roel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Roel Wijtmans Gallery of Roel Wijtmans
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Basil Greber on 03/13/16 at 1:30 pm EST    
Registered on 11/08/05, 219 Posts, 1340 Comments

It's a really nice waterfall (and also featured in Icelandair's security video ;) ). I agree with this being a good choice for night photography - too bad it didn't work out. I like your choice of shutter speed and the pleasant rendering of the fall. I might consider cropping this a bit from the top (towards a panoramic format) to reduce the amount of negative space a bit. What time of the year were you traveling in Iceland? Very recently?

Basil Greber
Switzerland
         https://www.facebook.com/bgreberphotography/
http://500px.com/basilgreber
http://basilgreber.smugmug.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Basil Greber Gallery of Basil Greber

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Roel Wijtmans on 03/13/16 at 2:18 pm EST    
Registered on 09/30/12, 116 Posts, 2257 Comments

Yeah, I played with cropping, but I liked the towering walls, and in the end, mist is very Icelandic, so I thought it was kind of fitting to have it this prominent in the photo. I haven't seen the security video, but I'll go and check it out then!

I was in Iceland in Sep and Aug last year. Beautiful country, relentless weather! My trusty tent even got some damage because of the storms. But it's all worth it!

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Roel Wijtmans Gallery of Roel Wijtmans

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 03/13/16 at 3:29 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

Roel,
What a gorgeous waterfall. Color palette is beautiful under these soft lighting conditions - the blues and greens work wonderfully together. I had a similar reaction as Basil and if it were mine would probably play with some crops to reduce the gray sky and make it less dominant in the image.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 03/13/16 at 7:13 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Roel, Pretty darn nice for the "next best thing shot"..cool  I love the way the water looks and that turquoise color in the foreground is really nice. It also works great with all the greens in the rock walls. I can see your point about leaving all the gray sky in but I also like it by cropping some of it out. Either way a great looking image for me.

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Vance Gese on 03/13/16 at 11:30 pm EST    
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments

Really like your composition with the falls centered and the moss covered rock forms to either side.  The pronounced V of the canyon accentuates the geologic story of how this river has slowly carved its way through the rock.  Beautiful falls.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by David Schoen on 03/14/16 at 1:51 pm EST    
Registered on 11/06/06, 1213 Posts, 4587 Comments

The turquoise and the mossy green are very nice compliments to the waterfall. A little foggier would be more interesting however this is still a very well done shot of this waterfall.

David Schoen
Olympia, WA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by David Schoen Gallery of David Schoen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Zelinka on 03/14/16 at 2:37 pm EST    
Registered on 08/20/07, 206 Posts, 998 Comments

The waterfall is nicely complemented by the strangely shaped ravine walls.

Mark Zelinka

All Photos and Comments by Mark Zelinka

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 03/14/16 at 8:32 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Roel,

Beautiful waterfall and I too like the two greens - especially in the water.  The drizzly wet conditions make for a moody atmosphere.

This is one of those images where it means more to have been there to experience all those things you describe.  For me, the gray open space doesn't do much for me, although it clearly does contribute to telling the story of this image and place.  I agree with you though that I don't think it can be solved with a crop.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Marylynne Diggs on 03/14/16 at 8:44 pm EST    
Registered on 12/14/10, 122 Posts, 1034 Comments

Spectacular water color amd rocks, and you nailed the falls themselves.  I agree with others (and especially Lon) that the misty gray sky is more meaningful to you than to the average viewer. For me, it detracts greatly from the detail in the lower rocks and that beautifully aquamarine color of the pool at the base of the falls.

Of course, it depends on your goal.  Share a memory or stun the viewer ;-).
ML
ML

ML Diggs
Portland OR

Personal Website    Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Marylynne Diggs Gallery of Marylynne Diggs

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Albert Darmo on 03/15/16 at 10:11 pm EST    
Registered on 11/25/08, 1386 Posts, 11978 Comments

Hi  Roel crying      You have to take  what nature gives you,  and make the most of it...  As  you have  done here.   you have captured the mood,  colors,  and the falls  beautifully

Albert Darmo
Canada 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Albert Darmo Gallery of Albert Darmo

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 03/16/16 at 12:35 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

I think this would have made for an amazing night time shot, but when Plan A does not work you go to Plan B. I think you made the best of the circumstances you were presented to you, Roel. There is no way to crop this without losing that V notch which is an integral part of the scene for me. Love those greens BTW.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 03/18/16 at 3:43 pm EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

You're really making me want to go to Iceland!  Perfect shutter speed for the falls and I like the way the greens pop in the haze.

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership