Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Rocks with hats
Photo posted by Roel Wijtmans in the Landscape gallery on 02/06/16 at 1:42 pm EST
Registered on 09/30/12, 116 Posts, 2257 Comments
Post last edited by Roel Wijtmans on 02/06/16 at 1:42 pm EST

A cold morning wandering around in a new nature reserve near my place.

f/16, ISO 100, 1.3 s, 16 mm.

C&C welcome as usual, large version is included!

Roel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Roel Wijtmans Gallery of Roel Wijtmans
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stephen Stanton on 02/06/16 at 3:46 pm EST    
Registered on 03/01/15, 54 Posts, 453 Comments

Roel, an interesting shot...not sure that nice winter sky adds to the focus and impact of the image, he ice stones. I like it better when I crop the large version at the top and just look at the ice and stones as they appear to be rafted up on the snow pods. A bit of a distraction for me that a couple of the foreground stones are cut off a bit. There are lots of interesting forms and shapes to work here, and if there are opportunities for different angles of view there is a great potential for a very unique winter look.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Stephen Stanton Gallery of Stephen Stanton

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 02/06/16 at 5:10 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

I love the rocks with their 'hat's of ice and the lines of the them converging toward the horizon. I also see a possible crop from the top down to the upper edge of the dark cloud on the right  The distant shorelines give this a nice sense of space. The processing looks very nice.

--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 02/06/16 at 5:38 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

This looks great. I like the comp as it is myself, but also see the crop Preston mentioned down to the darker cloud working. The combination of snow, ice and the rocks just looks so nice and I like how they lead you back into the scene. I think your processing on this is perfect for my taste! Excellent work Roel.

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 02/06/16 at 7:38 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

Roel,
Very nice image of some interesting ice formations. Personally, I prefer the comp. as presented and would not crop. The foreground is excellent but the sky is less interesting as rendered. If it were mine I would try accentuate the mix of warm and cool tones in the image. You've got a hint of nice color in the sky which I would try nudging up the vibrance a bit. I would also raise the contrast to pull up more detail in the clouds.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 02/06/16 at 8:06 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

This is really nice Roel. For me the middle ground is the most compelling part of the image. The individual icy rocks surrounded by water. I don't have any problem with the sky. I feel that the margins between the ice and water are an important part of this image and they should be really sharp. The slow shutter speed has made them less so and therefore I would suggest shooting this at a faster speed. Some of submerged ice rocks look particularly foggy. Perhaps that was the intention.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 02/07/16 at 08:32 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Cool formations!  I think any of the crop suggestions would work nicely, but I think I prefer it as presented. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 02/07/16 at 11:22 am EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments

Roel, you've done a super job with composition IMO. I really like how the rocks seem to be defying a stepping stone approach out to possibly better viewing. Obviously that idea would be a destiny to disaster in freezing waters.  I'm really liking the whites of the snow on the rocks as well as those textures overall. laugh

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Roel Wijtmans on 02/07/16 at 11:53 am EST    
Registered on 09/30/12, 116 Posts, 2257 Comments

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Paul, I tried that. I ended upp with wet feet and pants, which subsequently froze.... Lovely!

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Roel Wijtmans Gallery of Roel Wijtmans

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 02/07/16 at 1:03 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Looks very cold, Roel.  The icy hats stepping into the distance are great.  There's a fine spaciousness as presented, but I can also see cropping some of the sky to emphasize the foreground.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ryan Shain on 02/07/16 at 1:13 pm EST    
Registered on 02/20/07, 226 Posts, 4571 Comments

Hi Roel,

I can really feel the cold in this capture. I enjoy the ever so interesting snow/ice covered rock formations. The sno/ice gives them this eye catching quality, and they are beautifully arranged in this image.  The clouds are all good with my tastes, but cropping a tad does make the foreground more prominent.

Really beautiful work

Ryan Shain
Joliet, IL

The universal Mind contains all knowledge. It is the ultimate potential of all things. To it, all things are possible.

Ernest Holmes

All Photos and Comments by Ryan Shain

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 02/07/16 at 3:12 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Roel,

Fascinating formations and an excellent job portraying them with this composition.  I like the emphasis on the "near" and IMHO, I don't think this needs to be cropped.  I especially like the hint of color in the UL.  Uniquely beautiful nature.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 02/09/16 at 9:56 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

The details and textures in the FG ice capped rocks really shine in the large version, Roel. I like this as presented, but I would be curious to see what this looked like with a bit more saturation in the sky to bring out those warm tones a little more. Just a thought.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Albert Darmo on 02/10/16 at 4:00 pm EST    
Registered on 11/25/08, 1386 Posts, 11978 Comments

Hi  Roel  crying    You captured  these  delightful  snow  covered rock  formations perfectly.  the colors and middle  sky  are  magical

Albert Darmo
Canada

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Albert Darmo Gallery of Albert Darmo

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kah Kit Yoong on 02/11/16 at 10:29 am EST    
Registered on 09/27/06, 636 Posts, 10682 Comments

Very interesting foreground. I like that the mist in the distance gives separation with the sky.

Landscape and M&N Gallery Moderator
Melbourne, Australia
Blog : [url]http://www.magichourunplugged.com/[/url]

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kah Kit Yoong Gallery of Kah Kit Yoong

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership