Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Smokey + Repost
Photo posted by Eva McDermott in the Weekly Challenge gallery on 01/19/16 at 6:50 pm EST
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments
Post last edited by Eva McDermott on 01/20/16 at 6:13 pm EST

After we lost Blue this summer to cancer we decided to get another pup.  This is our rescue pup Smokey, a Labrador mix who acts like a terrier but certainly has the food obsession of a Lab.  He won't retrieve but loves playing tug-of-war with his best buddy Nitro (a black Lab pup about the same age in our town house complex). Smokey came up from Alabama to Mary's Dogs Adoption and rescue in NH with two of his brothers, John and Paul (Smokey's rescue name was George..... and yes there is a forth dog Ringo, who stayed behind in AL with the woman who found them).   Fantastic dog.  We renamed him Smokey because of his yellow eyes and general coloring.  Our son was also working on a fuels crew in Idaho this past fire season so it just fit the moment.  I can't help wondering what's the story behind the Beatle dogs abandonment, adventures in the wilds of Alabama, and subsequent rescue. He definitely had some training since he was 100% house broken from day one when we adopted him (six months old). 

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Erhardt on 01/19/16 at 7:42 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 245 Posts, 2421 Comments

Smokey is one handsome dude and it's great he ended up in such a loving home!

Jim Erhardt     |     NPN 1     |   Bedford, New Hampshire U.S.A.     |     editor@naturephotographers.net

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim Erhardt Gallery of Jim Erhardt

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Zablotny on 01/19/16 at 7:58 pm EST    
Registered on 01/17/04, 705 Posts, 3594 Comments

Looks like Smokey found a nice home. Lots of terrier for sure and tug of war is pure jousting fun for any terrier.  I like the lighting which produced some wonderful shadows on the face.  Well done...........................Jim

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim Zablotny Gallery of Jim Zablotny

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Launstein on 01/19/16 at 11:57 pm EST    
Registered on 04/05/11, 223 Posts, 1193 Comments

Hi Eva! I looked at this thumbnail and immediately thought, cute--but what breed am I looking at? enlightened What a cool mix! It's great to hear you were able to give Smokey a good home after a less-than-ideal start for him.

I really like his expression and the wonderful look in his eyes, especially his right (our left) with the beautiful tones receiving a little more light. I was going to suggest the image seems a bit dark to me, then read your comment re his colouring being smokey vs white, then reconsidered...but ended up still thinking this could handle a boost in brightness, whether through exposure, curves or even a white point (levels) adjustment. You know Smokey and I don't, so you'll know if I'm right or not! ;)

BTW I really like the three main colours in this and brown always looks great in relief from a green background, but I'm a sucker for B&W canine images and must say this is a strong contender to make a great B&W if you like such things! 

John Launstein
SW Alberta, Canada
www.launsteinimagery.com

Proud father of Nature's Best 2013 Youth Photographer of the Year, Jenaya Launstein, and 2014 Young Outdoor Photographer of the Year, Josiah Launstein :)

Follow John, Jenaya & Josiah's photography adventures on Twitter: @LaunsteinFamily
Visit our Facebook page: Launstein Imagery

All Photos and Comments by John Launstein

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Gary Minish on 01/20/16 at 02:03 am EST    
Registered on 02/04/06, 625 Posts, 3583 Comments

A very uniquely colored dog with equally interesting eyes, Eva!  It looks like he got his head a little too close to the forest fire!  Terrier and Lab is an interestingmix and he looks like a very nice dog.  As far as the photo goes, I have to agree with John that a little overall brightness would really make Smokey stand out. 

Gary Minish
Valdez, Alaska, USA

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Gary Minish Gallery of Gary Minish

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 01/20/16 at 10:10 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

This is a lovely portrait, Eva.  Smokey looks so quietly alert here.  I like how you've placed the front leg along the frame.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 01/20/16 at 6:12 pm EST    

Thanks everyone for your feedback and comments.  Here is a brighter version (I actually uploaded the wrong file).

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Erhardt on 01/20/16 at 6:26 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 245 Posts, 2421 Comments

Eva, repost looks better!

We'll need to get Smokey, Gracie and Maddie together this spring - I'm sure they'd have a ball!

Jim Erhardt     |     NPN 1     |   Bedford, New Hampshire U.S.A.     |     editor@naturephotographers.net

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim Erhardt Gallery of Jim Erhardt

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 01/20/16 at 10:31 pm EST    

Smokey loves playing with other dogs.  His best friend is Nitro, a year old black lab up the street from us.  Tug-o-war and body slams in mid air are par for the course.  Older dogs don't appreciate his enthusiasm for fun and play.  Yes, I would love for Smokes to meet Maddie and Gracie.  Hopefully they love dog play too.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Launstein on 01/21/16 at 01:30 am EST    
Registered on 04/05/11, 223 Posts, 1193 Comments

Boo-yah...that's the ticket (repost)! :)

John Launstein
SW Alberta, Canada
www.launsteinimagery.com

Proud father of Nature's Best 2013 Youth Photographer of the Year, Jenaya Launstein, and 2014 Young Outdoor Photographer of the Year, Josiah Launstein :)

Follow John, Jenaya & Josiah's photography adventures on Twitter: @LaunsteinFamily
Visit our Facebook page: Launstein Imagery

All Photos and Comments by John Launstein

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Albert Darmo on 01/21/16 at 3:37 pm EST    
Registered on 11/25/08, 1386 Posts, 11978 Comments

Hi  Evacrying   . To  me,  both versions have their  merits...   you captured  his expression  and colors perfectly ...  i'm  so happy  he found a  loving  homecool

Albert Darmo
Canada.

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Albert Darmo Gallery of Albert Darmo

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership