Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Sun dogs
Photo posted by Roel Wijtmans in the Landscape gallery on 01/17/16 at 10:21 am EST
Registered on 09/30/12, 116 Posts, 2257 Comments

Last week I was out and noticed some nice stuff going on in the sky. Two bright and colorful sun dogs to the left and right of the sun, as well as a sun pillar above the sun.

f/16, 1/125 s, ISO 100, 25 mm.

C&C welcome, large version is included!

Roel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Roel Wijtmans Gallery of Roel Wijtmans
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Alberto Patiño on 01/17/16 at 3:27 pm EST    
Registered on 12/02/14, 278 Posts, 1736 Comments

large version an absolute must, especially to appreciate the detail on the sundogs. If you are tempted to crop sky from the top - DON'T!! That large sky is a key element of this image - beautiful!

Alberto Patiño Douce
Athens, GA, USA

Four Billion Years Website

Four Billion Years Blog

We have faith that future generations will know that here, in the middle of the twentieth century, there came a time when men of good will found a way to unite and fight to destroy the forces of ignorance and intolerance.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt, February 12, 1943 

Sic transit gloria mundi

All Photos and Comments by Alberto Patiño

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Patrick O'Healy on 01/17/16 at 4:05 pm EST    
Registered on 03/13/11, 326 Posts, 1679 Comments

Stunning image.  Thanks for the education.  I don't recall ever seeing a sun dog before.  This is truly unique. 

Patrick O'Healy
Newport Beach, CA
Patrickohealy.smugmug.com

A camera lens opens up a new dimension of life that transcends light and color.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Patrick O'Healy Gallery of Patrick O'Healy

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 01/17/16 at 4:06 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

Looks like light missiles being launched from behind the clouds.  The large view is a must see.  Nice.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 01/17/16 at 8:18 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Roel,

Wow, what a fabulous opportunity to witness such an event.  Wonderful phenomena, beautifully captured.

I wouldn't suggest a crop either.  Another fine detail here that I enjoyed while discovering the other elements in the frame, is the line of mist rising off the water along the left horizon.  The foreground snow/ice is a great anchor too.

No nits or suggestions.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 01/17/16 at 8:34 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

Roel,
Very cool image. I don't know if I ever saw this light phenomena. Processing looks very natural. Not much to suggest but you could experiment with raising the shadows slightly.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 01/18/16 at 10:23 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Those are spectacular sun dogs and sun pillar, Roel, plus you've got a fine scene to show them off with.  I agree with Alberto that keeping all of the sky adds a lot to this image.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Chris Chamberlain on 01/18/16 at 5:42 pm EST    
Registered on 03/13/07, 500 Posts, 8365 Comments

Awesome! Never have seen that before.

Chris Chamberlain
Vacaville, CA. 95688

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Chris Chamberlain Gallery of Chris Chamberlain

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership