Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

The perfect morning
Photo posted by Roel Wijtmans in the Man & Nature gallery on 01/09/16 at 12:24 pm EST
Registered on 09/30/12, 116 Posts, 2257 Comments

This is the same spot as were I took the "Aurora Cloudealis" photo, and after opening my tent I was very happy to finally having a nice sunrise after many, many grey mornings/days/evenings. What can you do, it's Iceland after all!

ISO 100, f/16, 1.6 s, 17 mm.

C&C welcome! Large version is included.

Roel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Roel Wijtmans Gallery of Roel Wijtmans
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Philip Hodgkins on 01/09/16 at 2:12 pm EST    
Registered on 07/24/06, 2741 Posts, 12349 Comments

Roel, this is classic landscape photography, austerely beautiful—except for the tent. Personally, I would move it or clone it out. It doesn't add anything to the gorgeous scenery.cool

Phil Hodgkins
Savannah, Georgia
NPN # 1998
Flora Gallery Co-moderator

“The task is...not so much to see what no one has yet seen; but to think what nobody has yet thought, about that which everybody sees.”
― Erwin Schrödinger

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Philip Hodgkins Gallery of Philip Hodgkins

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Pete Bengeyfield on 01/09/16 at 4:31 pm EST    
Registered on 12/02/03, 1247 Posts, 3439 Comments

Very nice.  Good camera placement.

Pete Bengeyfield
apbengey@gmail.com
http://bengeyphotos.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Pete Bengeyfield Gallery of Pete Bengeyfield

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Wong on 01/09/16 at 9:02 pm EST    
Registered on 02/02/06, 79 Posts, 2629 Comments

Great comp and light. I might try to tame that bright area right above the mountain but great otherwise.

Richard Wong
SF Bay Area, California

www.rwongphoto.com

All Photos and Comments by Richard Wong

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Leggett on 01/09/16 at 11:14 pm EST    
Registered on 07/21/04, 706 Posts, 3233 Comments

Wonderful comp, Roel, and an enviable spot for a campsite - what a wonderful place to take in all the sights and sounds.  I really like the large FG rocks and your choice if shutter speed.

Bill
Mississippi Gulf Coast
"They do not sweat and whine about their condition,
They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins..."
Walt Whitman

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Leggett Gallery of Bill Leggett

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Alberto Patiño on 01/10/16 at 12:16 am EST    
Registered on 12/02/14, 278 Posts, 1736 Comments

Absolutely gorgeous, in terms of composition, light and detail. It all works very well for me. I'm on the fence about the tent. On the one hand I see how the image would be "wilder" without it, but on the other hand I also like the "dissonance" (for lack of a better word) created by the tent. I think it works both ways, it just transmits different messages. The sky is a real treat! I had similar experiences in Iceland, and seeing that sky after several grey days was always something special.

Alberto Patiño Douce
Athens, GA, USA

Four Billion Years Website

Four Billion Years Blog

We have faith that future generations will know that here, in the middle of the twentieth century, there came a time when men of good will found a way to unite and fight to destroy the forces of ignorance and intolerance.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt, February 12, 1943 

Sic transit gloria mundi

All Photos and Comments by Alberto Patiño

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Teller on 01/10/16 at 08:06 am EST    
Registered on 08/23/10, 1162 Posts, 6692 Comments

When I first opened this I thought, "I wish I was there camping what beautiful place." For me that what really makes this work. It draws me emotionally right into the scene. Technically there are a lot of things that make this image work. Great leading line to draw you in, good depth, sweet light, good foreground, middle ground and background and fine composition. Great image. 

Richard Teller
Scottsbluff, NE
teller-nature-photography.redframe.com

The mountains and the seashore scream at you, but the prairie whispers and you have to stop and listen.
Don't shoot what it looks like, shoot what it feels like. David Alan Harvey

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Richard Teller Gallery of Richard Teller

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dennis Plank on 01/10/16 at 09:31 am EST    
Registered on 01/28/08, 1767 Posts, 23192 Comments

Great angle, Roel.  You picked a couple of nice foreground rocks and the stream provides great leading lines.

devil

Dennis Plank
Littlerock, Washington

NPN 3675

http://www.cranesongscalling.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dennis Plank Gallery of Dennis Plank

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 01/10/16 at 2:50 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

I love the river and the fine sky. I think the tent works in order to give a sense of the vastness, and the loneliness of a wilderness. The processing looks perfect. Nicely done!

--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by David Schoen on 01/11/16 at 5:07 pm EST    
Registered on 11/06/06, 1213 Posts, 4587 Comments

Great view up the valley with subliminal light.  I like the exposure on the water.

David Schoen
Olympia, WA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by David Schoen Gallery of David Schoen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 01/11/16 at 8:17 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Roel,

Fabulous perspective and point of view - it feels like the river is coming right at you!  You've got a wonderful and complimentary sky. I might try and drop the midtones in the sky a 1/2 stop or so, just taming it a little bit.  Very minor.

As far as the tent goes, it helps tell a story and provide a sense of space as Preston eludes. Of course having the tent kinda kicks it out of fine art category... but then you did place it appropriately in M&N. enlightened  No matter either way, it's a fine image to take away from Iceland.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by D.A. Edwards on 01/15/16 at 2:42 pm EST    
Registered on 10/08/14, 226 Posts, 1187 Comments

I knew this was yours immediately, Roel. I can relate to your weather issues in Iceland as I had a similar experience in the Lofotens. The tent is a critical component of any great tentscape and you've got a classic here. Great spot to sleep although it looks pretty damp and chilly!

I might try burning the tent just a bit so it's closer in value to the brighter water. It's amazing how the color of a tent impacts the tentscape. Mine is green now and disappears in some settings. My yellow one is more sculptural. I've also had/have a cyan tent, an orange one, and a brown A-frame back in the day. They all look completely different without the fly which is a typical night here in CA.

D.A. (Dave) Edwards
Sacramento, The Golden State, USA

All Photos and Comments by D.A. Edwards

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Patrick O'Healy on 01/17/16 at 3:55 pm EST    
Registered on 03/13/11, 326 Posts, 1679 Comments

Roel,
I think it is wonderful how various images evoke differing reactions from those who post.  The divergent posts help my thought process and expand how I look at images.  I guess if we were to look at this image with intent, no pun intended, if artistic presentation is your sole objective, the tent should go.  If you wish to tell a story and draw the viewer into your experience, the tent stays.  I agree with a previous post about darkening the tent a bit.  This shot has an additional optical effect for me.  While the water is flowing toward the viewer, the line of the river draws me upstream and around the bend. 

Patrick O'Healy
Newport Beach, CA
Patrickohealy.smugmug.com

A camera lens opens up a new dimension of life that transcends light and color.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Patrick O'Healy Gallery of Patrick O'Healy

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership