Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Frozen puzzle
Photo posted by Roel Wijtmans in the Landscape gallery on 01/09/16 at 12:19 pm EST
Registered on 09/30/12, 116 Posts, 2257 Comments

A nice ice pattern I found a couple of weeks ago.

100 mm, ISO 100, f/22, 1s.

C&C welcome, large version included.

Roel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Roel Wijtmans Gallery of Roel Wijtmans
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by David Schoen on 01/09/16 at 2:23 pm EST    
Registered on 11/06/06, 1213 Posts, 4587 Comments

Very nice mosaic abstract pattern with brownish tones.  Would also work as BW.

David Schoen
Olympia, WA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by David Schoen Gallery of David Schoen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 01/09/16 at 2:44 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Cool patterns! I would not mind more contrast in the image. And I also think it would work well in B&W.

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 01/09/16 at 2:45 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

Roel,
Awesome ice abstract. The patterns and textures in the larger version are excellent. If it were mine I would probably experiment with increasing the contrast and moving the temp to cooler. Would also make a great B&W image.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 01/09/16 at 4:46 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

Well shoot, I reckon I'd vote for b/w too.  Super abstract, Roel,I had a hard time getting my head around this one, which is a very good thing.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Alberto Patiño on 01/10/16 at 12:18 am EST    
Registered on 12/02/14, 278 Posts, 1736 Comments

Love the patterns and the lack of scale - have you seen pictures of some of the regions of Europa's surface? (Jupiter's moon). Not sure about B&W, it probably would work too, but I also like it this way. I also think that the portrait format was a good call. 

Alberto Patiño Douce
Athens, GA, USA

Four Billion Years Website

Four Billion Years Blog

We have faith that future generations will know that here, in the middle of the twentieth century, there came a time when men of good will found a way to unite and fight to destroy the forces of ignorance and intolerance.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt, February 12, 1943 

Sic transit gloria mundi

All Photos and Comments by Alberto Patiño

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dennis Plank on 01/10/16 at 09:37 am EST    
Registered on 01/28/08, 1767 Posts, 23192 Comments

This is really nice, Roel.  The color balance creates a very cold feel and all the ice fragments make for great patterns.  You could do a lot of closer shots of this formation as well to bring out finer textures in the ice.

devil

Dennis Plank
Littlerock, Washington

NPN 3675

http://www.cranesongscalling.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dennis Plank Gallery of Dennis Plank

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 01/10/16 at 09:49 am EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

This is a sweet mosaic abstract, Roel. The large version is a must to really savor the shapes and textures of the ice. Beautifully done.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 01/10/16 at 11:48 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

I'd sure hate to be trying to put this puzzle together, Roel.  You've got a fine pattern and your comp. is well balanced.  I also like the warmth that the brown tones add.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 01/10/16 at 2:24 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Roel,

Fabulous patterns and detail.  At first glance I thought maybe this could be granite. I've seen patterns like this on the granite slabs on Sonora Pass.  Anyway, this works beautifully.

Very minor suggestion, but I could see cropping up from the bottom to remove the two larger pieces in the LLC.  But they're not really an issue per se, just a thought.

Well done.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Albert Darmo on 01/10/16 at 4:26 pm EST    
Registered on 11/25/08, 1386 Posts, 11978 Comments

Hi  Roel crying  There  is marvelous  symmetry in these ice patterns    so pleasing to the eye,  looks  like they  were  especially  placed  here for this  delightful abstract.  the warm  tones and fine detail put this over the top[..

Albert Darmo
Canada

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Albert Darmo Gallery of Albert Darmo

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 01/10/16 at 7:29 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

While I do think this would make an interesting B&W, I am really liking this color version. I also think a slight boost in contrast would look nice, too. It's a fine ice abstract., and I agree with Lon that this does look like feldspar crystals in granite. Very cool.

--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ryan Shain on 01/12/16 at 10:36 pm EST    
Registered on 02/20/07, 226 Posts, 4571 Comments

Hi Roel,

I am really digging this abstract as it reminds me of something very familiar, hmmm, maybe it will come to me. The way you have seen this image and processed it is very appealing for  myself. I find myself getting lost in the structure of the patterns, and this is a good thing.

beautiful vision and work

Ryan Shain
Joliet, IL

The universal Mind contains all knowledge. It is the ultimate potential of all things. To it, all things are possible.

Ernest Holmes

All Photos and Comments by Ryan Shain

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Vance Gese on 01/13/16 at 2:24 pm EST    
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments

Love the pattern, Roel, and really enjoy the ambiguity of scale.  This could be an aerial view of ice pans in a river or bay as easily as a closeup of ice patterns on a pond.  Nicely done.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership