Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Denali
Photo posted by Vance Gese in the Landscape gallery on 01/06/16 at 11:14 pm EST
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments

A fairly straight forward image of Denali Mountain from a hill on the north end of Wonder Lake, made a few years ago one autumn evening at Denali NP.  In all the years I lived in Alaska, I never got tired of taking pictures of this magnificent mountain.  When conditions are right and 'the mountain is out', it commands attention and it always got mine.

4x5, 360mm, Velvia, warm polarizer.

Large size image attached.

Thanks in advance for your comments, suggestions, and critiques.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ian Cameron on 01/07/16 at 04:53 am EST    
Registered on 08/06/04, 1125 Posts, 3318 Comments

Gorgeous Alpen glow Vance love the reflection in the water and the scale emphahsised by the wee silhouetted trees at the edge of the lake.

Ian Cameron
Transient Light

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ian Cameron Gallery of Ian Cameron

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stuart Williams on 01/07/16 at 06:25 am EST    
Registered on 12/07/07, 247 Posts, 4792 Comments

simple but sweet. that'd have my attention as well!

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

"one's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things" - henry miller

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Stuart Williams Gallery of Stuart Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Roel Wijtmans on 01/07/16 at 10:59 am EST    
Registered on 09/30/12, 116 Posts, 2257 Comments

Now that is light with big "L"! Absolutely superb, however straight forward it may be. A small detail that I really like are those tiny spots of reflected light in the otherwise dark water.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Roel Wijtmans Gallery of Roel Wijtmans

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 01/07/16 at 2:09 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

Vance,
This is spectacular. Sublime light and beautiful, simple composition. Superb as rendered but wondering how it would look with the shadows lifted slightly to reveal more detail in the foreground.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dietrich Gloger on 01/07/16 at 2:20 pm EST    
Registered on 01/26/07, 360 Posts, 9876 Comments

Excellent Vance! "Commands attention" sums it up. This mountain, or how you rendered it, has dominance and powder. The shadows work so well here.

Dietrich ("Didl") Gloger, Linz-Vienna, Austria.
Wista DX, 4x5", Provia and Velvia.
Canon EOS 5D,
EF 24-105mm; EF 70-200mm IS; TS-E 45mm;
www.dietrichgloger.at

All Photos and Comments by Dietrich Gloger

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by David Schoen on 01/07/16 at 2:24 pm EST    
Registered on 11/06/06, 1213 Posts, 4587 Comments

The detail view just pops in the retina screen of my iPad Air 2.  Very nice.

David Schoen
Olympia, WA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by David Schoen Gallery of David Schoen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 01/07/16 at 2:42 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Vance, This sure would get my attention too, and I'm sure it would never get old to me. Beautiful, beautiful sunset. devil

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Wong on 01/07/16 at 3:36 pm EST    
Registered on 02/02/06, 79 Posts, 2629 Comments

I really like this Vance as the silhouetted trees in the foreground give Denali a real sense of scale.

Richard Wong
SF Bay Area, California

www.rwongphoto.com

All Photos and Comments by Richard Wong

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 01/07/16 at 3:58 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

That's an awesome glow on Denali, Vance, set off beautifully by the magenta sky and the shadowy foreground.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Albert Darmo on 01/07/16 at 9:29 pm EST    
Registered on 11/25/08, 1386 Posts, 11978 Comments

Hi Vancecrying  The different layers of  light  and color are amazing and   mesmerizing....    . the different reflections on the dark  water  put this over the topdevil

Albert Darmo
Canada

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Albert Darmo Gallery of Albert Darmo

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Genny K. on 01/07/16 at 9:38 pm EST    
Registered on 06/05/06, 132 Posts, 2001 Comments

Sweet, Vance.
The detail in the mountain is fantastic.  Lotsa good feelings in this:  Warm, sweet light.  Fantastic spot. Gorgeous view.  A great image.
Very nicely done.devil

Genny K.
Alaska, USA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Genny K. Gallery of Genny K.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 01/07/16 at 10:26 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

It is a wonderful thing to live in such a beautiful place.  No wonder you never got tired of this.  Really sweet, Vance.  I love the layers of dark, beautiful color, dark, and the main attraction.  The velvia is singing a lovely tune.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 01/07/16 at 11:28 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Vance,

Simply stunning.  You are so right about when "the mountain is out...."  My one and only visit, over a 4 day period we saw the mountain for about 4 hours; another 22 hours in the tent with constant rain.  The only time the mountain was fully visible was during the bus trip near Eilsen visitor's center.  Back at Wonder Lake, only some short, partial glimpses. ;-(

This was the dream image for the trip to Denali.  Of course the only thing missing in your image is the grazing bull moose... enlightened

Don't even want to consider any suggestions.  A gorgeous image from one of those magical places.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 01/08/16 at 04:59 am EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

I've been a big fan of your Alaska images for years and this is the reason why. 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 01/08/16 at 10:22 am EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Wow, stunning light got captured.  Any chance of opening up the shadows a little?  Might be difficult with the Velvia.  WOrks well with the silhouette though.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Vance Gese on 01/08/16 at 9:42 pm EST    
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments

Thanks to everyone for all the great comments on this image.  Really appreciate everyone taking the time to comment.

There was some details in the foreground and hills across the lake on the 4x5, but trying to bring this out with the scan I had made did not work very well, so I decided to just let those areas remains quite dark.  I imagine that a drum scan would allow me to improve on this, but drum scans are quite expensive.

Thanks again everyone.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 01/08/16 at 10:17 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

Stunning light and comp, Vance. I can see why you would not tire of photographing Denali. I love the way you layered this with alternating bands of dark and light. This is magical.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 01/09/16 at 6:03 pm EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

Stunning light Vance.  I also love the layers of sky, mountain, land, and reflection.  Wonderful work.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ryan Shain on 01/12/16 at 10:16 pm EST    
Registered on 02/20/07, 226 Posts, 4571 Comments

This is simply a stunning capture of Denali, and it very much commands one attention. The layers of dak and light are perfectly captured, and this image is rocking good Vance!

Ryan Shain
Joliet, IL

The universal Mind contains all knowledge. It is the ultimate potential of all things. To it, all things are possible.

Ernest Holmes

All Photos and Comments by Ryan Shain

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership