Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Aurora Cloudealis
Photo posted by Roel Wijtmans in the Landscape gallery on 12/27/15 at 02:19 am EST
Registered on 09/30/12, 116 Posts, 2257 Comments

I found this amazing campsite somewhere in a canyon in Iceland, and when I woke up in the middle of the night and looked outside, things looked like this. Some really strong aurora shining through the clouds! Even though it was partially blocked by the clouds, I could still walk around without a lamp since the whole landscape was greenish. I can only imagine what it must have looked like without the clouds....

C&C welcome, large version included!

ISO 3200, f/3.2, 30 s, 14 mm.

Roel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Roel Wijtmans Gallery of Roel Wijtmans
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Alberto Patiño on 12/27/15 at 12:01 pm EST    
Registered on 12/02/14, 278 Posts, 1736 Comments

This is really beautiful, Roel. The clouds act as a diffuser filter and give both softness and some texture to the sky, that is different from a standard aurora image. The wide angle really works very well. There is a bit of noise, especially on the water, but the clouds and the ghoulish greenish glow really steal the show!

Alberto Patiño Douce
Athens, GA, USA

Four Billion Years Website

Four Billion Years Blog

We have faith that future generations will know that here, in the middle of the twentieth century, there came a time when men of good will found a way to unite and fight to destroy the forces of ignorance and intolerance.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt, February 12, 1943 

Sic transit gloria mundi

All Photos and Comments by Alberto Patiño

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark James Ford on 12/27/15 at 12:03 pm EST    
Registered on 01/16/15, 60 Posts, 430 Comments

Hi Roal, I am sure it was very impressive to experience! I guess you were at the limits of the lens and camera and have had to push the image a bit which shows in the noise in the water. I would try and bring that under control.  The downsized imaged has a strong sharpening halo which is more under control but still quite visible in the larger image.  Where I am really not sure is the rock mass on the right - for me it is too close to the edge of the frame and I would be tempted to crop.  
Cheers, Mark

Mark James Ford    
Wiesbaden, Germany
www.markjamesford.photography

All Photos and Comments by Mark James Ford

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 12/27/15 at 3:20 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Roel,

Wow, that is some fascinating light!  Would have been hard to figure not knowing the  Aurora was the source of light here - but it all makes sense.  I really like that you've also been able to retain detail in the darkness.  I also think the flow of the river all the way around the bottom works beautifully.

I can see Mark's point about the rock on the right; it's like I want either more of it, or none.  But then again, what may trump that is the flow of the river... I'd hate to cut that out.

Regardless, a unique and mysterious scene.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 12/27/15 at 6:15 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

That is a very cool cloud scape and a place to camp.No snow and aurora - sweet.  While the light is terrific, I'm not sure the comp. is doing it for me.  The rock wall on the left seems to intrude rather than add. to the overall image.  I do like the water flow and reflection.  What time of year was this?  I need to return when less snow to deal with!

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 12/27/15 at 9:32 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

I love the mood here; this is very other worldly, Roel. Photographing an aurora is on my bucket list. The scene is very natural and believable looking with a bit of detail in the darkness. My only suggestion would be to crop that rock on the right side as it disrupts this beautiful scene a little for me. Just a suggestion of course.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Roel Wijtmans on 12/28/15 at 10:09 am EST    
Registered on 09/30/12, 116 Posts, 2257 Comments
Comment last edited by Roel Wijtmans on 12/28/15 at 10:10 am EST

Thanks for the comments all! I left the rock on the right side in because I didn't want to lose part of the flow of the river ánd lose some of the clouds to the right that I feel balance the most apparent clouds to the left. And I actually like it as a partial framing, haha, but I seem to be the only one!

Lon, yes, it was quite a challenge understanding what was going on for my sleepy brain. I knew there was no moon and no light polution, so I didn't realize what was going on until I took the first photo and all looked green on my LCD. I've learned that if you can't see the stars, than you can't see the Aurora either, but this was the proverbial exception.

Harry, this was taken in the beginning of September. September is the best month of the year, and the northern light is one of the reasons for that. It may not be the darkest period yet, but for reasons that are not entirely understood, the aurora is more active during the two quinoxes (September and March), so if you're around the arctic circle around those periods you have a really good chance of seeing them. They suspect it has to do with the magnetic field of the earth being aligned with the sun, but it's not really understood why.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Roel Wijtmans Gallery of Roel Wijtmans

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Marylynne Diggs on 12/28/15 at 12:10 pm EST    
Registered on 12/14/10, 122 Posts, 1034 Comments

Wonderfully unique take on the aurora.  I love the cloud softened curves.  Like others, I prefer it without that rock on the right.  If you are not opposed to it, perhaps you could clone some river activity into the left foreground?  

ML Diggs
Portland OR

Personal Website    Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Marylynne Diggs Gallery of Marylynne Diggs

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 12/28/15 at 6:37 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Roel,

This is such a cool looking image. That light really is quite amazing and I love the mood it gives to this scene. I also enjoy that you were able to keep some details in the shadows. The water flowing across the bottom works great but I do think I might like it with the rock on the right edge cropped out. I would hate to lose much of that water so just enough to do the job.
Nice work Roel.

Nick bristol
Lone Rock, WI

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 12/28/15 at 8:53 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

Roel,
Cool image. Very unique lighting conditions. I might be tempted to try a crop with the rock face on the right size of the image removed. I'm unsure if it is substantional enough to hold interest.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Albert Darmo on 01/05/16 at 11:48 am EST    
Registered on 11/25/08, 1386 Posts, 11978 Comments

Hi  Roel     I can  imagine  the thrill  you had, waking  up at  night, and seeing  this wonderful light.  A  stunning  capture of the  Aurora.

Albert Darmo
Canada

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Albert Darmo Gallery of Albert Darmo

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership