Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Back from the dead
Photo posted by Roel Wijtmans in the Landscape gallery on 12/23/15 at 12:30 pm EST
Registered on 09/30/12, 116 Posts, 2257 Comments

After ignoring my IR camera for a while, I have decided to get it back from the dead and once again give it a spot in my camera bag since it is such fun to experiment with it. You never know what you're gonna get!
Taken from a favorite spot of mine, a small "peninsula" with enough room for my tent, while the rest of the land around this lake is more or less impossible for putting up a tent. Either to crowded with trees, too wet, or too steep.

f/8, 1/50, ISO 400, 18 mm

C&C welcome as usual, large version is included!

Roel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Roel Wijtmans Gallery of Roel Wijtmans
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dietrich Gloger on 12/23/15 at 2:13 pm EST    
Registered on 01/26/07, 360 Posts, 9876 Comments

Excellent composition!  Whether this is from IR, or your processing, but the look of this image is very fascinating. It has a painterly feel, which is also enhanced by the composition style.

Dietrich ("Didl") Gloger, Linz-Vienna, Austria.
Wista DX, 4x5", Provia and Velvia.
Canon EOS 5D,
EF 24-105mm; EF 70-200mm IS; TS-E 45mm;
www.dietrichgloger.at

All Photos and Comments by Dietrich Gloger

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 12/23/15 at 2:39 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Roel,

Honestly, IR didn't immediately come to mind - although now I see it with the white-ish vegetation which should be green of course.

Normally, a large tree like this might be considered an obstruction, but here you've crafted the composition so that it not only works to frame the scene, but it's obviously a major part of it.  Great job pulling this comp together.  there is also a sense of cold with the lake looking like it's partially frozen.

If this were a straight color image I might comment about contrast, but given the IR, you get a pass enlightened since I don't know how IR's are supposed to look anyway.  Plus, like you said, "you never know what you're going to get."  But what you did get here works beautifully.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 12/23/15 at 5:46 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Roel, This is very cool looking and I'm quite enjoying it. I like how the IR treated this scene and the mood / feel it gave to it. I agree with Lon that a comp like this with that tree doesn't always work but you put this one together perfectly and it works great.
Very nice work!

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 12/23/15 at 6:25 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

I never would have guessed this was IR, Roel. My initial thought was some toning. This looks like a great view as you wake from the tent in the morning. Nicely done.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 12/23/15 at 10:08 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

Roel,
Very pleasing composition. I really like the placement of the tree within the frame. The tonality, which I presume is the result of IR, is very unique. 

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 12/24/15 at 01:29 am EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

I love how the branches fan out beautifully across all that negative space. For me they are the best part of this image.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Hoveijn on 12/24/15 at 11:46 am EST    
Registered on 11/02/15, 18 Posts, 192 Comments

Some experimenting usually pays off, like here. Nice view over the lake which would have been a bit empty without the big protective tree. I Like the two stones in the fg. Just wondering what a conversion to B+W would produce. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Hoveijn Gallery of Igor Hoveijn

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Sandro Bisotti on 12/24/15 at 6:54 pm EST    
Registered on 02/08/15, 30 Posts, 265 Comments

effective and convincing this kind of wanted blurred (but if we see with attention we find a lot of detail)  weak saturation
and weak general contrast. Dreamy effect, but without losing the special appeal of a photo.
All the best,
sandro

All Photos and Comments by Sandro Bisotti

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 12/25/15 at 01:48 am EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

Nice choice of the IR camera, Roel.  I really like the effect.  Looks like a lovely campsite and what IR does to the bark of the foreground tree.  Merry Christmas🎁

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Albert Darmo on 12/27/15 at 1:08 pm EST    
Registered on 11/25/08, 1386 Posts, 11978 Comments
Comment last edited by Albert Darmo on 12/27/15 at 1:09 pm EST

Hi Roelcrying    The mood  evoked  by  The  IR effect  is subtle  but very beautiful.  this  mood  works perfectly in the  delightful scene
Merry  christmasdevil
Albert Darmo
Canada

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Albert Darmo Gallery of Albert Darmo

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership