Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Lumos 3 Rannoch
Photo posted by Ian Cameron in the Landscape gallery on 12/21/15 at 09:51 am EST
Registered on 08/06/04, 1125 Posts, 3318 Comments
Post last edited by Jim Erhardt on 01/09/16 at 6:04 pm EST

Rannoch Moor, Glencoe, Scotland

A winter morning which was mostly clouded over at Rannoch moor actually turned out rather better than expected.  A very large and angry black cloud behind the snow capped peaks was brewing as the sun struggled through to make a brief appearance and throw a shaft of light on the wintery slopes.  The light was bi-coloured, tawny to the left of the frame with  deep blue which reflected on the hills to the right.  I manouvered my position to the very edge of the loch and managed to capture the reflected golden light in a slushy pool.

Please view LARGE,,,

Fuji XT-1, 18-55 zoom, 0.3ND Hard Grad, f/13 at 1/4 Second, ISO 200

Ian Cameron
Transient Light

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Ian Cameron Gallery of Ian Cameron
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by David Schoen on 12/21/15 at 1:33 pm EST    
Registered on 11/06/06, 1213 Posts, 4587 Comments

This is really amazing light especially on the lake in the foreground and the mountain flank in the BG.  Very nice curves and comp.  But you might wish to clone out what looks like a road barrier on the left side about 1/4 the way down from the top ( and perhaps the top center).   A very nice image though.

David Schoen
Olympia, WA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by David Schoen Gallery of David Schoen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Zelinka on 12/21/15 at 2:40 pm EST    
Registered on 08/20/07, 206 Posts, 998 Comments

Ian, I like the drama here, but there isn't enough to hold interest for me. It also appears soft.

Mark Zelinka

All Photos and Comments by Mark Zelinka

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 12/21/15 at 4:40 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Ian,

I love the sweeping curve of the snow meeting the frozen, almost slushy-looking water.  And the light filling the mini-bay is wonderful.  You don't have the distinct blues and certain frigid feeling as you did with the last image, but this works beautifully for me. again, the comp works beautifully for me with the curves.

I'm not really seeing the softness.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 12/21/15 at 5:16 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

This is wonderfully subtle and inviting in a chilly way, Ian.  Looks like a great place to go exploring.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 12/21/15 at 5:31 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

Ian,
This is a strong, moody image. I like the dark presentation and you have managed the dynamic range well. I might try to open up the shadows slightly in the vegitation on the right side.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ian Cameron on 12/21/15 at 6:14 pm EST    
Registered on 08/06/04, 1125 Posts, 3318 Comments

I can't argue with anyone that doesn't find the image engaging, I disagree, but that is surely all down to personal taste and mine is obviously different.  I was enchanted by the quality of the light and that alone was enough for me to hang about and photograph it in sub zero temperatures.  For the life of me though I don't think the image strikes me as being soft, or at least no softer than anything else I've posted.  I waited a while to see what others think, maybe I need a new pair of glasses from Santa. 

Ian Cameron
Transient Light

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ian Cameron Gallery of Ian Cameron

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 12/21/15 at 6:56 pm EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

Terriifc light, Ian. Tricky exposure but it looks spot on. I also don't see anything soft; on the contrary, the detail (for example, in the trees and bushes) is quite good. Very nice. 

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by D.A. Edwards on 12/21/15 at 8:04 pm EST    
Registered on 10/08/14, 226 Posts, 1187 Comments

I was surprised about the softness comment also... not seeing it. I do agree about cloning away the road guardrail. You've handled the light in the sky perfectly. I like the slush/ice and light there, too.

Perhaps compositionally I can understand Mark's comment but only because there may be too much here to hold my interest. As you pointed out, the right half of the image is very different from the left. I could see two nice vertical comps from your single image. Perhaps in trying to include the entire curve of the little pool, neither side got its due. Just a thought...

D.A. (Dave) Edwards
Sacramento, The Golden State, USA

All Photos and Comments by D.A. Edwards

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stephen Stanton on 12/22/15 at 12:38 am EST    
Registered on 03/01/15, 54 Posts, 453 Comments

Another fine image, Ian. The light is special (as it is in most of your work) in this early winter's sky, well worth the stop. Perhaps the nice curving slushy waterline and the pond, not quite frozen, lend an approriate softness to the image. Nothing wrong with that.  

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Stephen Stanton Gallery of Stephen Stanton

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 12/22/15 at 3:58 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Ian, This is a wonderful winter scene for me. I enjoy the quiet mood very much and the light is something special. The type of light that I only see in winter and always enjoy seeing. For me the image is certainly sharp and detailed so I don't see the softness. I agree with Stephen that maybe the softness of the slushy ice and snow edge is what gave it a softer feeling. It works wonderfully for me.

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Sandro Bisotti on 12/22/15 at 4:12 pm EST    
Registered on 02/08/15, 30 Posts, 265 Comments

calm, soft and natural tones and colours, without dominant nuances in the snow.
Very good detail quality serving a sure composition. I force myself to find an aspect that subtract 0,001%: that fence on the right.
all the best,
sandro

All Photos and Comments by Sandro Bisotti

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership