Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Autumn reflections
Photo posted by Albert Darmo in the Landscape gallery on 12/17/15 at 5:36 pm EST
Registered on 11/25/08, 1386 Posts, 11978 Comments

I  like  how the  colors of the  maple tree  reflected  in the water  along with the fallen maple  leaves  .. comments appreciated..

D300...  17-55     F /2.8.  @ 55mm      f/20...  1/30 sec..     iso  200.  tripod.   cable release...

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Albert Darmo Gallery of Albert Darmo
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by David Schoen on 12/17/15 at 7:02 pm EST    
Registered on 11/06/06, 1213 Posts, 4587 Comments

This is nice Albert.  I like the way the leaves with definite shape give way to the reflections of the trees with irregular shape.  The color also cascades from deep orange to yellow from BG to foreground.  Nice comp.

David Schoen
Olympia, WA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by David Schoen Gallery of David Schoen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Wayne Jones on 12/17/15 at 10:02 pm EST    
Registered on 04/18/07, 953 Posts, 6435 Comments

Nice scene, Albert.  I think the reflected orange leaves make a great backgound for the lighter floating leaves, but I don't think the the sky and bare treetops at the bottom of the frame work as well.  I like the more uniform look of the top 3/4 of the picture better.  For my taste, a sqare, or a horizontal 4x5 comp of the top of this looks "cleaner."  Cover up the bottom, and see what you think.

Wayne Jones
Upstate New York

The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the composer; but when the last individual of a race of living beings breathes no more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be again. William Beebe, 1906

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Wayne Jones Gallery of Wayne Jones

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Hansen on 12/17/15 at 11:21 pm EST    
Registered on 05/05/11, 161 Posts, 908 Comments

Love this Albert!  Nice how the leaves make a trail, front to back, through the water.  Very nice.

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim Hansen Gallery of Jim Hansen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Greenwood on 12/18/15 at 12:59 am EST    
Registered on 11/09/03, 229 Posts, 1523 Comments
Comment last edited by Jim Greenwood on 12/18/15 at 01:33 am EST

Hmmm ... I have to respectfully differ with Wayne's comments and crop suggestion.  In my opinion the more intricate reflections at the bottom add significant interest to the image.  I like the composition as presented.  But, as an alternative, I'd actually suggest pretty much the opposite of what Wayne suggested, to crop this to a square format by cropping from the top to eliminate the less distinctly separated leaves in the upper part of the image as well as the area in the upper right corner where there are only a few leaves.  I think this would result in a nicely balanced square composition.

Jim Greenwood

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim Greenwood Gallery of Jim Greenwood

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 12/18/15 at 10:47 am EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Albert,

What a wonderful comgination of the floating leaves and bg, abstract reflections.

I would add to the cropping discussion here.  In fact, this came to my mind when i first viewed this before any comments were posted.  Actually what made me think crops was simply because I'm forced to do vertical scrolling in the extra large view on my measly 23" monitor.  Good news is that  you have good detail top to bottom which gives you flexibility here.  

I see 3 independent options.  This is a wonderful autumn scene as presented.  Only suggestion is maybe a slight boost in saturation -  personal taste of course.  But I also see a horizontal crop of the top, AND of the bottom.  This creates 2 unique images with their own very nice qualities.  The upper crop actually improves what detail we can see, including the reflection details.  The bottom crop would have a much more abstract look to it with the distorted branch reflections.

These are great choices to have Albert!

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 12/18/15 at 11:02 am EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

...to crop this to a square format by cropping from the top to eliminate the less distinctly separated leaves in the upper part of the image as well as the area in the upper right corner where there are only a few leaves.  I think this would result in a nicely balanced square composition.

This was my thought, exactly. The reflected branches and leaves at the bottom of the image are what really grab me. I also agree with Lon's suggestion to increase the yellow saturation just a bit. If you decied on the quare crop, you migh also look at darkening the greys and blacks there just a bit.

As Lon said, it's nice to have choices.

--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 12/18/15 at 1:19 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

I lov this one Albert.  When I first viewed it I thought a crop from the bottom would suit this, but the more I enjoyed it, the more I like it just the way it is.  Really nice.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Patrick O'Healy on 12/18/15 at 3:40 pm EST    
Registered on 03/13/11, 326 Posts, 1679 Comments

Very nice shot Albert.  I really like the way the leaves lead my eye through the shot.  A very nice rendition of a shot I might not ever take because I would not understand its potential. 

Patrick O'Healy
Newport Beach, CA
Patrickohealy.smugmug.com

A camera lens opens up a new dimension of life that transcends light and color.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Patrick O'Healy Gallery of Patrick O'Healy

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Daniel Rappaport on 12/18/15 at 8:36 pm EST    
Registered on 09/09/09, 294 Posts, 2006 Comments

Have to say I like this as is. The flow of the leaves from foreground to background really works for me and pulls me into the reflections.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Daniel Rappaport Gallery of Daniel Rappaport

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 12/18/15 at 10:16 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

I like this as is, but I could see the crop suggestions working also, Albert. I think those abstract reflections bring so much more to this scene. Great eye to spot this.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership