Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Home sweet home
Photo posted by Roel Wijtmans in the Landscape gallery on 11/28/15 at 04:20 am EST
Registered on 09/30/12, 116 Posts, 2257 Comments

If I have learned one thing during my seven weeks in Iceland, it must be that the woods really are my home. As much as I appreciated the barren Icelandic landscapes, I realy, really missed walking around in the woods. So now that I am back home in Sweden, it feels good to absorb the special atmosphere of forests again. This was a misty sunrise two weeks ago in one of my favorite places, Vällingsjö old-growth forest.

A combination of two exposures: f/16, 1/25 + 1/10 s, ISO 100, 19 mm.

C&C as always welcome, large version included.

Roel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Roel Wijtmans Gallery of Roel Wijtmans
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Roel Wijtmans on 11/28/15 at 04:23 am EST    

Oh, forgot to mention, there seems to be quite some distortion, but the two dead trees to the left and right who are mostly responsible for that are actually bended inwards, creating the illusion of this photo having more distortion than it really does.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Roel Wijtmans Gallery of Roel Wijtmans

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 11/28/15 at 09:12 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

I like the high-key presentation and the nice framing of the dead trees.  The image works well. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 11/28/15 at 09:51 am EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Roel, I too would really miss the woods of home area after being gone for awhile so can appreciate your feelings. I like this image very much and especially enjoy the quiet peaceful mood it has. There is a softness to this that just feels good!

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Chris Chamberlain on 11/28/15 at 12:09 pm EST    
Registered on 03/13/07, 500 Posts, 8365 Comments

I like the quiet lonesome feel this has, to me at least. The exposure is very nice. I can imagine myself there and welcoming the emergence of the sun providing warmth on my face!

Chris Chamberlain
Vacaville, CA. 95688

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Chris Chamberlain Gallery of Chris Chamberlain

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 11/28/15 at 1:42 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Roel,

You did a great job capturing the mood and atmosphere; the sun pushing through the mist creates a wonderful light throughout.  I'm almost wishing there was more foreground to be illuminated (or wondering if you have others that do.)  The bend of the trees don't bother me at all, almost expected, natural or not.

Is it just me, or is it the mist, but the foreground seems a little soft to me?  Not an issue really, given the misty atmosphere - it actually may work to  your advantage in this one.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dietrich Gloger on 11/28/15 at 3:06 pm EST    
Registered on 01/26/07, 360 Posts, 9876 Comments

I can relate to your love for forest. And scandinavia has among the most beautiful forests of Europe. This is quite an interesting take on the subject - showing the trees merely as a backdrop for this beautifully moody scene.

Dietrich ("Didl") Gloger, Linz-Vienna, Austria.
Wista DX, 4x5", Provia and Velvia.
Canon EOS 5D,
EF 24-105mm; EF 70-200mm IS; TS-E 45mm;
www.dietrichgloger.at

All Photos and Comments by Dietrich Gloger

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Alberto Patiño on 11/28/15 at 6:05 pm EST    
Registered on 12/02/14, 278 Posts, 1736 Comments

A beautiful scene, the low light/fog in the forest is just fantastic! I have a hard time convincing myself that this is two combined exposures - that is good! enlightened 
I can understand what you say about the woods, and I do like them. However, living in the SE US, with dense oak/pine forest all around, I can't wait to get out to the deserts of the SW as often as I can.......laugh

Alberto Patiño Douce
Athens, GA, USA

Four Billion Years Website

Four Billion Years Blog

We have faith that future generations will know that here, in the middle of the twentieth century, there came a time when men of good will found a way to unite and fight to destroy the forces of ignorance and intolerance.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt, February 12, 1943 

Sic transit gloria mundi

All Photos and Comments by Alberto Patiño

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Vance Gese on 11/29/15 at 01:23 am EST    
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments

The backlighting of the conifers and bushes really makes your image glow, and the framing of the two old trees with sun centered really works well.  Love that touch of mist.  Your appreciation of this forest is very evident.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Roel Wijtmans on 11/29/15 at 01:36 am EST    

Thanks for the comments everyone, much appreciated!

Lon - the foreground looks like that because the temperature was a couple of degrees below zero, and the vegetation was covered with a thin layer of frost. I liked the effect it created and decided to keep it like that.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Jirka on 11/29/15 at 12:20 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 254 Posts, 1620 Comments

I like how the detail was held in the FG with the backlighting. Wonderful quiet mood.
Jim

Jim Jirka
Auburn, Washington
NPN 1052 

All Photos and Comments by Jim Jirka

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 11/30/15 at 12:56 am EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

It's always good to be home, Roel.  Doesn't seem to matter if it's the desert or the forest, as long as it's home, that's what makes the difference.  I can always tell when someone has an affinity for the environs he shoots. It certainly shows here.  Love the bending inward trees framing this and you probably couln't have found a more difficult dynamic range to play in.  Nice job handiling it and nice image.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 12/01/15 at 10:55 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Nice image. Shooting directly into the sun isn't easy but you did capture some unique lighting. I can see why you like this land.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kah Kit Yoong on 12/04/15 at 03:45 am EST    
Registered on 09/27/06, 636 Posts, 10682 Comments

What beautiful light! Love your presentation of this forest.

Landscape and M&N Gallery Moderator
Melbourne, Australia
Blog : [url]http://www.magichourunplugged.com/[/url]

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kah Kit Yoong Gallery of Kah Kit Yoong

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership