Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Stormbow
Photo posted by Roel Wijtmans in the Landscape gallery on 11/16/15 at 12:48 pm EST
Registered on 09/30/12, 116 Posts, 2257 Comments

Not the most spectacular photo, but I really liked how the rainbow was a lot more complete than what you usually see from a vantage point on land. A stormy morning at Selfoss, Iceland, with the wind being so strong that it blew the mist from the waterfalls horizontally, resulting in this rainbow. Both me and my camera got soaked, but that's a small price to pay.

16 mm, f/16, 1/25 s, ISO 100.

C&C welcome, larger version is included.

Roel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Roel Wijtmans Gallery of Roel Wijtmans
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 11/16/15 at 2:53 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

The power of the water here is just stunning. The rainbow looks great. I wonder if you bring up the lights in the waterfall just a bit, and try to pull some detail in the dark area on the right. Iceland looks like a fabulous place!

--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 11/16/15 at 4:27 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Cool rainbow! 

Is anyone not going to Iceland? Beside me. sad

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Albert Darmo on 11/16/15 at 9:19 pm EST    
Registered on 11/25/08, 1386 Posts, 11978 Comments
Comment last edited by Albert Darmo on 11/16/15 at 9:21 pm EST

Hi  Roel   crying I  think  preston said it  perfectly  " The  power of the water here is just stunning"  i too agree  with  bringing  more light and  detail  into the  waterfalls.    they are spectacular. devil  to me.... the rainbow  is icing on the cake.

Albert Darmo
Canada

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Albert Darmo Gallery of Albert Darmo

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ryan Shain on 11/16/15 at 10:32 pm EST    
Registered on 02/20/07, 226 Posts, 4571 Comments

Hi Roel,

How long does that waterfall extend for? You captured a sweet rainbow, with a beautiful line of water behind it. Some sweet elements in this scene. Are you going back to this scene a bit later to try to capture that line of water, maybe with some blur to it?

Ryan Shain
Joliet, IL

The universal Mind contains all knowledge. It is the ultimate potential of all things. To it, all things are possible.

Ernest Holmes

All Photos and Comments by Ryan Shain

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Alberto Patiño on 11/16/15 at 11:41 pm EST    
Registered on 12/02/14, 278 Posts, 1736 Comments

This is a spectacular place, and very difficult to capture, because of the sheer size. Godd job, under less than ideal conditions. The almost complete rainbow is quite unique !!

Alberto Patiño Douce
Athens, GA, USA

Four Billion Years Website

Four Billion Years Blog

We have faith that future generations will know that here, in the middle of the twentieth century, there came a time when men of good will found a way to unite and fight to destroy the forces of ignorance and intolerance.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt, February 12, 1943 

Sic transit gloria mundi

All Photos and Comments by Alberto Patiño

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Louis Pattis on 11/17/15 at 08:45 am EST    
Registered on 03/30/12, 0 Posts, 164 Comments

What a beautiful rainbow the star of the image, a ND filter comes to mind to pop the bow and make the rest dreamlike.

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Louis Pattis Gallery of Louis Pattis

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 11/17/15 at 1:27 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Roel,

Sometimes (most times actually,)  nature just astounds and abounds.  What a sight!  I suppose you could tweak this to make the raindbow pop - possibly turning down the exposure a 1/2 stop or so.  Also, a very minor suggestion, but you might consider cloning out that knob of light on the right edge.  No biggie, but my eye is drawn there.

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by David Schoen on 11/17/15 at 6:50 pm EST    
Registered on 11/06/06, 1213 Posts, 4587 Comments

An almost clear sky in Iceland but wind to blow both you, the water, and the clouds.  Two out of three isn't bad.  This is a nice image  that gives good perspective of how large this waterfall spreads out.  Getting good shots of the Iceland waterfalls is a challenge because of the wind and spray.  I didn't make it to Selfoss, but other waterfalls were equally difficult on the camera gear.

David Schoen
Olympia, WA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by David Schoen Gallery of David Schoen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Roel Wijtmans on 11/18/15 at 3:01 pm EST    
Registered on 09/30/12, 116 Posts, 2257 Comments

Thanks for the comments everyone, always nice to get suggestions to play around with.

Ryan, I think it's about 100 meters long, so it's looong! And I guess by blur you mean using an ND filter? That would be impossible due to the strong winds, not even my trusty tripod could prevent the camera geting shaken. I had to take several shots of which many were blurry.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Roel Wijtmans Gallery of Roel Wijtmans

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership