Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Bean Hollow Abstract
Photo posted by Eva McDermott in the Landscape gallery on 10/27/15 at 9:00 pm EST
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

Bean Hollow Beach Abstract.  California coast near San Fransico.  We stopped here on our way back to SFO airport after a wonderful weekend at my nephew's wedding celebrations.  Wish I had more time to spend here since there were so many interesting rock structures.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 10/27/15 at 10:27 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Great patterns and colors!!! I think I like this better flipped 180 degrees. I prefer the visual flow. But very cool image!!! Great find. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Wayne Jones on 10/27/15 at 11:16 pm EST    
Registered on 04/18/07, 953 Posts, 6435 Comments

Amazing find, Eva!  I have never seen anything like this.  The pebbles in the holes look like jewelry.  The light is delightfully confusing, making this a wonderful abstract to explore.

Wayne Jones
Upstate New York

The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the composer; but when the last individual of a race of living beings breathes no more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be again. William Beebe, 1906

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Wayne Jones Gallery of Wayne Jones

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 10/28/15 at 01:03 am EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

What an unusual find. It's mesmerizing when you look long enough. It does look like jewelry from afar, or a google earth view from up high. I've been down there many times and never seen these holes filled with anything. I find this hard to critique intelligently. The only obvious thing is that the lower right hand corner is out of focus and doesn't have the preciseness that the rest has. Cool abstract. It's an intellectual image.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 10/28/15 at 10:22 am EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

What a beautiful and unique find, Eva.  It took me a while to figure out what the heck I was looking at.  Very cool abstract image.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 10/28/15 at 10:38 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Wow, Eva, those clusters of polished pebbles are wonderful!  I especially like how they're isolated against the sand colored background.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Roel Wijtmans on 10/28/15 at 12:56 pm EST    
Registered on 09/30/12, 116 Posts, 2257 Comments

That is really cool, structures like these are definitely on my bucket list. The colourful pebbles in those cavities are just to good to be true!

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Roel Wijtmans Gallery of Roel Wijtmans

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 10/28/15 at 3:56 pm EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments
Comment last edited by Paul Breitkreuz on 10/28/15 at 3:57 pm EST

OMG......it's a jelly bean factory........I love this one, Eva. Can you see this one made up as a puzzle?.....what a super find...devil

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 10/28/15 at 7:09 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Eva, This is so cool looking and I'm just totally enjoying it. 

Nick Bristol   Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 10/29/15 at 7:31 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

I would've gone crazy seeing this! I love spots like this. I like the color of the rock and all the little stones. It looks to me like the lower right corner is soft, though, which leads to my suggestion...
...Crop from the bottom and the left side to eliminate the soft area and the dark area on the lower left corner. Next, burn the upper left corner just a bit. My thinking here is to home in on the nice light and potholes.

--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Albert Darmo on 10/29/15 at 10:45 pm EST    
Registered on 11/25/08, 1386 Posts, 11978 Comments
Comment last edited by Albert Darmo on 10/29/15 at 10:45 pm EST

Hi  Eva  crying     A  delightful  find.    these polished pebbles in the sand  make a  fascinating abstract.  love the colors  and the patterns.

Albert Darmo
Canada

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Albert Darmo Gallery of Albert Darmo

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by D.A. Edwards on 10/29/15 at 11:32 pm EST    
Registered on 10/08/14, 226 Posts, 1187 Comments

Fun, colorful abstraction, Eva. I've been to that beach many, many times over the years... I always take visitors there when I am down that way to see the real Pebble Beach.

Roel is probably right though about it being too good to be true as I suspect that those pebbles were placed in those holes by creative beachcombers or photogs. Nevertheless, still a cool image.

D.A. (Dave) Edwards
Sacramento, The Golden State, USA

All Photos and Comments by D.A. Edwards

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 10/30/15 at 04:00 am EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments
Comment last edited by Anil Rao on 10/30/15 at 04:01 am EST

This is a beautiful image, Eva. Love the juxtaposition of the large tafoni holes and the tiny pebbles that have filled them. 

As you know, I do a lot of Tafoni photography and all of that is done near that area (actually in the next beach from Bean Hollow). I am very glad to hear that you were able to visit this location.  BTW, this is not such an uncommon sight at all. The tiny pebbles get washed onto the tafoni rocks by the tide, just as they get washed off of the rocks by the tide. One of natures small wonders.

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ian Cameron on 10/30/15 at 9:54 pm EST    
Registered on 08/06/04, 1125 Posts, 3318 Comments

That's a great find Eva.  Looks a bit like the honeycomb cliffs of Elgol I was inspired in almost the same way and called mine Jellybeans and Honeycomb.  I had to put my jelly beans in the holes, still it was April 01 on that particular day.

Ian Cameron
Transient Light

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ian Cameron Gallery of Ian Cameron

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kah Kit Yoong on 10/31/15 at 02:22 am EST    
Registered on 09/27/06, 636 Posts, 10682 Comments

These patterns look amazing. What a great find.

Landscape and M&N Gallery Moderator
Melbourne, Australia
Blog : [url]http://www.magichourunplugged.com/[/url]

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kah Kit Yoong Gallery of Kah Kit Yoong

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 11/09/15 at 9:44 pm EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

Very neat Eva!  Excellent capture.

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership