Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Run Away
Photo posted by Eva McDermott in the Avian gallery on 10/27/15 at 7:16 pm EST
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments
Post last edited by Eva McDermott on 10/27/15 at 9:12 pm EST

Shore birds on the beach near Bodega Bay, California.  A lot of fun watching these litte birds dodge the waves.  I rarely photograph birds and rarely take an image with out a tripod.  This may be my first avian image posted on NPN ever!  This was taken hand held at 1/2000 sec, f/8, ISO 400 with my Canon 5D Mark III and Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L at 200mm.  Interested in hearing your critiques and comment since this is something new for me.  Also, does anyone know the type of shorre bird?  Thanks for havng a look.

Correction - This was not Half Moon Bay, but Bodega Bay where Alfred Hitcock's classic "The Birds" was filmed in part.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Erhardt on 10/27/15 at 7:45 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 245 Posts, 2421 Comments

Eva, I liked this photo as soon as I saw it on your FB page. The repeating pattern of the water line encroaching from the right with the group of birds in the lowest portion of the frame sharp/in-focus, with the rest OOF, works really well. A really excellent photo IMO!

Jim Erhardt     |     NPN 1     |   Bedford, New Hampshire U.S.A.     |     editor@naturephotographers.net

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim Erhardt Gallery of Jim Erhardt

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Steve Thompson on 10/27/15 at 8:13 pm EST    
Registered on 08/07/14, 125 Posts, 2319 Comments

I agree with Jim, a really nice scene with crisp detail in that lower group. Wasn't sure about the squarish crop at first... but it works great for the composition. The birds may be Sanderlings, but I'm not a shorebird expert. Somebody will know. Great shot Eva!  devil

Steve Thompson
Andalusia, Illinois
"Quad Cities USA"

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Steve Thompson Gallery of Steve Thompson

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stephen Stanton on 10/27/15 at 9:51 pm EST    
Registered on 03/01/15, 54 Posts, 453 Comments

Eva, nice shot of Sanderlings, a winter over shore bird, playing "tag" with the waves never gets old. I would be tempted to crop showing only the in focus group .   

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Stephen Stanton Gallery of Stephen Stanton

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dennis Plank on 10/28/15 at 12:03 am EST    
Registered on 01/28/08, 1767 Posts, 23192 Comments

I like this, Eva.  Flock images are always difficult, but the incoming wave and variety of responses in the birds makes this work well.  I also like the landscape scale of the image, so for my taste, there's no reason to cop it.

devil

Dennis Plank
Littlerock, Washington

NPN 3675

http://www.cranesongscalling.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dennis Plank Gallery of Dennis Plank

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 10/28/15 at 10:47 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Eva, this is a great catch on shorebird action, with the foreground group nice and sharp with lots of action and the background birds giving context.  Your comp. works very well.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership