Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Metallic sand
Photo posted by Roel Wijtmans in the Landscape gallery on 10/19/15 at 11:04 am EST
Registered on 09/30/12, 116 Posts, 2257 Comments
Post last edited by Roel Wijtmans on 10/19/15 at 11:05 am EST

20 years ago I decided I wanted to visit Iceland, and this autumn it finally happened. Awesome country of course, but way too much selfie obsessed mass tourism unfortunately, which was a very sad thing to see. I cycled for 3 weeks and drove/hiked for 4 weeks, and needless to say, I am drowning in photo work right now.

This is a sand pattern at the end of a glacier. It was made of very fine sand, which explains why these patterns stuck so nicely. I used a polarizer to get rid of the reflections, and I really liked the metallic look it gave.

100 mm, f/18, 1/6, ISO 100, pol.

C&C welcome, large version is included!

Roel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Roel Wijtmans Gallery of Roel Wijtmans
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 10/19/15 at 11:08 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Very cool pattern and look to the image. I like it! I think you could get away with popping the contrast on it, maybe bring in the black point a bit?

Sounds like a phenomenal trip!!! Great start of the photography and I am looking forward to seeing more.

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 10/19/15 at 1:43 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

Crazy abstract, Roel.  Hard to get any scale, which is a good thing.  I'm looking forward to seeing your images from quite an extended trip. Cheers.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Teller on 10/20/15 at 10:03 am EST    
Registered on 08/23/10, 1162 Posts, 6692 Comments

Very nice abstract image. It is well seen and photographed. It almost looks like and airel shot of some mountains. I am jellous, one of the places on my bucket list to visit is Iceland. Just don't know it it will ever happen.

Richard Teller
Scottsbluff, NE
teller-nature-photography.redframe.com

The mountains and the seashore scream at you, but the prairie whispers and you have to stop and listen.
Don't shoot what it looks like, shoot what it feels like. David Alan Harvey

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Richard Teller Gallery of Richard Teller

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 10/20/15 at 7:29 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Roel, this is an image that gets better and better as you look at larger and larger versions.  The details and subtle patterns are great.  There's a fine sense of an aerial view of a highly eroded landscape that sure has me imagining going for a hike of exploration.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 10/20/15 at 10:08 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Reminds me of some aerial shots I took in Iceland this summer.  Great patterns and organized very nicely.  I might try increasing the contrast and see where it takes you.  I took some similar shots near the foot of the glacier in Vatnajokul National Park.  Could we have been near the same mud puddles?sad 

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by D.A. Edwards on 10/21/15 at 01:27 am EST    
Registered on 10/08/14, 226 Posts, 1187 Comments

I can see this being 1 meter across or a 100 km across, that's how scaleless it is. I would also see what a bit more contrast does for it as it feels a little flat. Nonetheless a wonderful start to your photographic journey.

D.A. (Dave) Edwards
Sacramento, The Golden State, USA

All Photos and Comments by D.A. Edwards

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Roel Wijtmans on 10/21/15 at 12:39 pm EST    
Registered on 09/30/12, 116 Posts, 2257 Comments

Thanks for the comments and suggestions all! I'll try some tweaking with the contrast.

Harry, we might indeed have stared at the same stuff! This was at the foot of the Fláajökull glacier.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Roel Wijtmans Gallery of Roel Wijtmans

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Albert Darmo on 10/23/15 at 11:43 am EST    
Registered on 11/25/08, 1386 Posts, 11978 Comments

Hi  Roelcrying   Mark's  comment  echoed  my thoughts perfectly.     very  fine work.devil  anxious  to see  some  futur  posts of  Iceland..

Albert Darmo
Canada

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Albert Darmo Gallery of Albert Darmo

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership