Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Velvet Green
Photo posted by Eva McDermott in the Landscape gallery on 08/23/15 at 4:40 pm EST
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

This is an older image that I decided to reprocess in LR CC 2015. 

It was taken with a Canon 20D with a Canon 10 -22mm lens.at 10mm

ISO200 f/15 10 secs

Thanks for having a look and for critiques and comments.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stephen Stanton on 08/23/15 at 6:32 pm EST    
Registered on 03/01/15, 54 Posts, 453 Comments

The background trunks appear to be bearing witness to the life cycle. I like your image, Eva, nicely seen and crisply captured, good light on the forest floor and stump.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Stephen Stanton Gallery of Stephen Stanton

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 08/23/15 at 6:41 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Eva, there's an amazing difference in sharpness and contrast between this version and the larger version, with the larger version being much much improved.  Love the greens in the stump and it's roots, plus how the roots act as leading lines.  The "background" forest does a fine job of putting the stump into context.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 08/24/15 at 10:45 am EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

A nice image of the rebirth of a forest. The shapes and lines are excellent. It could be just me, but the reds and greens look a litlle over-saturated. I agree with Mark on the difference in apparent sharpness between the image here, and the large version. The composition is well thought out.

--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 08/24/15 at 2:12 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

This is very representative of the redwood stumps in the area where I lived. I particularly like the moss outline at the top of the stump. The greens may be a bit oversaturated but the magenta is spot on from what I remember. Another option would have been to center the stump in the frame by cropping a bit from the right.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by David Schoen on 08/24/15 at 8:40 pm EST    
Registered on 11/06/06, 1213 Posts, 4587 Comments

The mossy greens in the foreground are a good contrast to the browns of the decaying trees and the darker greens of the trees in the background.

David Schoen
Olympia, WA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by David Schoen Gallery of David Schoen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 08/24/15 at 11:58 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

This is very cool, Eva.  Love the sense of time and the witnesses to it's passing.  I might crop a tad off the top to just below the bright spots top left.  Beautiful image.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 08/26/15 at 4:55 pm EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments
Comment last edited by Paul Breitkreuz on 08/26/15 at 4:56 pm EST

Eva, very nice to see your recent post.

I left a comment here yesterday, but now realize I'd tried through my iPhone after seeing this on line earlier. Now on another review of it I see it did not complete for some reason.

Anyway, the composition works very well for me along with the great contrasting colors too......a really solid scene.....the name fits so well too......laugh

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 08/27/15 at 5:55 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Very nice forest scene. I like Gary's crop suggestion and the greens and maybe the reds look a bit saturated to my eye.  Real nice image.

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kathy Barnhart on 08/29/15 at 12:15 am EST    
Registered on 11/11/11, 404 Posts, 1639 Comments

Lovely old mossy stump. I can almost smell the moisture and fog in the air. Nicely seen and processed, the colors go beautifully together and seem realistic to my eyes. The lighter green on the upper right tree trunk competes for my attention a little...maybe it could be toned down a bit? Regardless, it's a wonderful image.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kathy Barnhart Gallery of Kathy Barnhart

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Youssef Ismail on 08/31/15 at 09:52 am EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 474 Posts, 5555 Comments

Looks like my backyard.  Literally.  We are in the process of buying our first house in the Santa Cruz Mountains.  Within a month, God willing, I'll be surrounded by big giants just like these.

Eva, I think you composed this very well.  I like the placement of the dead trunk in the gap between the trees in the background. I don't mind the bright spots top left.  I think it lends to the atmosphere of the region, foggy.

Sincerely,
Youssef Ismail - Los Gatos, CA
Organic Light Photography
Organic Light Pan - Web Journal
NPN 1234

See the world in a new light ...
...Organic Light!

------
   Follow Me on Twitter
Become a Fan on Facebook
If you contemplate the sublimity of The Sublime then all suspicion will sublimate into certainty about what you are seeing and what you saw and what you will see. The fog of illusion will then vanish and only Reality will remain without any doubt or suspicion.

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Youssef Ismail Gallery of Youssef Ismail

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nancy de Flon on 09/01/15 at 7:18 pm EST    
Registered on 06/28/10, 61 Posts, 284 Comments

Eva, this is "my" kind of subject (hey, we're both from the Northeast cool ) so I love this image; it speaks to me. The green velvet trees are the main subject, they're slightly off-center, and in color and texture they contrast with the trees behind them. Also, the stuff on the ground is neutral-colored, which helps highlight the trees more; if it had been foliage season and the ground had been filled with lots of different colored leaves, it would have been a totally different image and that would have detracted from these strong, mighty and once-mighty trees.

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nancy de Flon Gallery of Nancy de Flon

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 09/07/15 at 2:43 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Eva, This is really nice! It has a look and feel that I enjoy very much. The larger version looks great and really puts one right there.

Nick Bristol

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership