Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

M/CU - 1st Place
Photo posted by Gary Yeoh in the EPA 2015 gallery on 06/15/15 at 9:57 pm EST
Registered on 09/01/09, 588 Posts, 8184 Comments
Post last edited by Jim Erhardt on 01/10/16 at 12:28 pm EST

Jumping Spider

A friend gave me a very old >30 years 50mm manual lens with some stains at the edge of the glass.  I took it to my local Nikon service center for cleaning and they declined to do the work as they do not have the parts for it. Since I have a reverse mount with a 52mm ring in my cupboard, I decided to reversely mount this lens with a 68mm Kenko extension tube and use this for macro work.  The set up gives me about a 2x magnification which is just perfect for this small jumping spider (Carrhotus viduus).

D610 reverse mount 50mm+62mm extension, around F11, fill flash, hand held, manual focus (moving camera back and forth)

Gary Yeoh
Hong Kong

The Mystical Garden Project

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Gary Yeoh Gallery of Gary Yeoh
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mike Ramy on 06/15/15 at 10:43 pm EST    
Registered on 06/16/12, 567 Posts, 2809 Comments

Gary,
Amazing technique for amazing results !
The thumbnail jumps out at you and the large version backs it up.
Well done . . .  devil

Mike Ramy
Douglasville, Georgia
'Have boat will Travel'

About Me
Photo Touring by Boat and Guide Services information HERE
Florida Spring Break Tour 2018 information HERE

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mike Ramy Gallery of Mike Ramy

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 06/16/15 at 12:11 am EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments

Gary.....a big applause....devil ...for your dedication to working up the gear to perform the experiment with here. The results prove it was worth the effort. I recall over 20 years ago a local camera shop salesman showing me the reverse 50mm trick too. Seems like a life time ago now, but obviously still a good usage for the process overall.

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 06/16/15 at 08:36 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Gary, the colors and sharpness are outstanding. Those eyes really pop.  Getting 2X magnification on a living critter is quite a feat.  This also gets my stacking instinct humming as I think it would be neat to have all of the front two legs sharp if you could get the subject to hold still and you had a way to quickly move the camera or adjust the focus....

I'm still trying to figure out your rig...was the reversed 50 on a regular lens and that lens on the extension tube.  I well remember the "reversing" idea for high quality macro.  I never tried it, but I did own a "short mount" macro lens...that required at least 20mm of extension tube in order to be mounted on the camera.  How nice to have modern macro lenses that go to 1:1 although my short mount lens was optically optimized to go to 2:1.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Roel Wijtmans on 06/16/15 at 10:36 am EST    
Registered on 09/30/12, 116 Posts, 2257 Comments

Perhaps my favorite animal! I so like these jumping spiders, they are magnificent. This is a very nice capture of one of those beauties, no nits for me! I too have started to experiment with a reversed 50 mm and a very old pentax bellow that I altered to make it fit on my Nikon stuff. A very nice way of experimenting for sure.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Roel Wijtmans Gallery of Roel Wijtmans

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Zablotny on 06/16/15 at 11:06 am EST    
Registered on 01/17/04, 705 Posts, 3594 Comments

Hi Gary,

Those old, legacy lenses are wonderful.I like the shallow DOF and details in the in focus areas. I wish there was enough DOF to get the prey in the chelicera in focus too.  Eyes and fuzzy palps are very nice devil...........................Jim

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim Zablotny Gallery of Jim Zablotny

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Tobias on 06/16/15 at 4:52 pm EST    
Registered on 09/12/09, 2120 Posts, 6455 Comments

Unique and impressive!  Thanks for sharing.

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Tobias Gallery of John Tobias

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Howard Cheek on 06/16/15 at 9:53 pm EST    
Registered on 07/24/08, 1201 Posts, 10758 Comments

Interesting set-up Gary, works very well for very tiny subjects like this one.. Excellent results.

Couple of questions. Was this indoors? What is the substrate here? Lastly, what's the conical shaped fluid? at the fangs there.. Is it prey? Just curious.

Well done!devil

Howard Cheek
Kempner, TX

"Look deep, deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better" ~ Albert Einstein

HowardCheekPhotography.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Howard Cheek Gallery of Howard Cheek

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Gary Yeoh on 06/17/15 at 06:25 am EST    
Registered on 09/01/09, 588 Posts, 8184 Comments
Comment last edited by Gary Yeoh on 06/30/15 at 08:51 am EST

To answer Mark's question, I have included an image of the rig.  I use the on-camera flash for fill which is convenient, light without adding extra gear (BTW you can see the diffuser reflected in its eyes).  Using a 35mm lens with this set up gives a magnification of around 3x, so the shorter lens gives higher mag.  I have also tried this with a old 80-200 zoom with a pump action zoom mechanism and this goes up to 0.5x mag without the extension ring;  The focussing can be done by moving the telescopic zoom mechanism back and forth.  However, at 0.5x, a macro lens can do the job much more neatly and efficiently. Getting a stack with this set up would not be possible as one has to handhold this rig for the focusing.  One could use a macro-rail but the subject is not likely stay still or stick around for very long.  I have seen stack pictures posted on the internet and my guess is they use a macro lens with automatic focus rather the rig used here.

Jumping spiders may look cute with their big eyes and antics but they are really deft assasins and cannibals.  I saw this guy jumped another small spider and promptly decapitate it with its fangs. The conical shape thing that Howard mentioned is left over gelatinous parts of the decapitated prey - I think they suck the fluid out of the prey rather than devour their prey??

Gary Yeoh
Hong Kong

The Mystical Garden Project

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Gary Yeoh Gallery of Gary Yeoh

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 06/17/15 at 9:44 pm EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

Terrific head on macro image, Gary. The detail is superb (especially for hh), and I like the orange and black colors on the high-key bg. Great result with the veteran equipment.

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Swathiraj G on 06/26/15 at 01:50 am EST    
Registered on 04/26/14, 71 Posts, 153 Comments

Wow, Outstanding image of a spider. Good learning from you Gary.

Thanking You,

Swathiraj Gopinathan

All Photos and Comments by Swathiraj G

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Patricia Brundage on 06/26/15 at 07:32 am EST    
Registered on 03/23/06, 1111 Posts, 6531 Comments

You've captured the ultimate macro shot!!!  The detail is amazing.  Hate spiders and if I get bitten I'm dead, but in this photo his looks are fascinating.  Good to be able to see a close up instead of seeing him in person.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Patricia Brundage Gallery of Patricia Brundage

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Balan Vinod on 06/26/15 at 08:01 am EST    
Registered on 03/20/06, 889 Posts, 2312 Comments

Gary ...must be the fourth time im visiting the image..A fine image with a lot of detail. The lens reversal does produce some extraordinary image. In this particular case,, its your skill of getting a freeze frame. well done

Balan Vinod

Balan Vinod
http://balanvinod.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Balan Vinod Gallery of Balan Vinod

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Fach on 01/10/16 at 3:56 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 1805 Posts, 26981 Comments

Gary: Where is the CT image of this guyenlightenedsad! Congrats on a spectacular EPA. >=))>

Bill Fach
Soli Deo Gloria
www.sdgimages.com
Houston, Texas
Flora Gallery Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Fach Gallery of Bill Fach

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ramamohan Pai on 01/10/16 at 6:23 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 550 Posts, 9037 Comments

Gary, Congrats on being the 1st place winner in Macro !!. Well done. 

Ram
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

All Photos and Comments by Ramamohan Pai

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Larry Lynch on 04/29/16 at 9:07 pm EST    
Registered on 09/16/06, 773 Posts, 9940 Comments

Congrats on your worrk.  Beautiful capture.

Seek the Light
Jesus is Lord

http://llynchphotography.com/

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Larry Lynch Gallery of Larry Lynch

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Larry Lynch on 04/29/16 at 9:07 pm EST    
Registered on 09/16/06, 773 Posts, 9940 Comments

Congrats on your worrk.  Beautiful capture.

Seek the Light
Jesus is Lord

http://llynchphotography.com/

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Larry Lynch Gallery of Larry Lynch

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership