Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Just before the snow II
Photo posted by Roel Wijtmans in the Landscape gallery on 04/25/15 at 12:25 pm EST
Registered on 09/30/12, 116 Posts, 2257 Comments

This is taken right after a post I made a while back (http://www.naturephotographers.net/imagecritique/ic.cgi?a=vp&pr=225532&CGISESSID=a695103500809ed49d8f23226125451c&u=17980). Several people expressed wanting to see a bit more of the sky, and today I found out that I took a vertical version as well, which I had forgotten about. Since this one has a lot more sky in it, I'm curious for your thoughts.

f/16, ISO 100, 30 s, 6 stop ND, 2 stop grad ND.

C&C welcome! Large version is included.

Roel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Roel Wijtmans Gallery of Roel Wijtmans
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Alberto Patiño on 04/25/15 at 5:14 pm EST    
Registered on 12/02/14, 278 Posts, 1736 Comments

Tough call, Roel - I like both. The beautiful sky does show off better in this one, but I feel that the rocks and trees have more interest in the original one. All in all I think that I prefer the horizontal shot.

Alberto Patiño Douce
Athens, GA, USA

Four Billion Years Website

Four Billion Years Blog

We have faith that future generations will know that here, in the middle of the twentieth century, there came a time when men of good will found a way to unite and fight to destroy the forces of ignorance and intolerance.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt, February 12, 1943 

Sic transit gloria mundi

All Photos and Comments by Alberto Patiño

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jean C Cajolet on 04/25/15 at 5:29 pm EST    
Registered on 04/28/14, 53 Posts, 532 Comments

That's a beautiful shot but between this one and the first one, I prefer the first one for the overall balance and the colors of the landscape. Both are excellent and I think it's just a question of taste. 

Jean-Claude Cajolet
Qc, Canada
www.cajophoto.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jean C Cajolet Gallery of Jean C Cajolet

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 04/25/15 at 6:50 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

I've gone back and forth several times and I'm pretty sure I like the horizontal the best.  Not sure why, but I think it's because the expanded tree line adds an additional element and the expanded foreground tends to sweep the eye through the frame like the streaking clouds above.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 04/26/15 at 08:31 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

I like both and both work very well, but I like the first one better. The broader foreground of rocks and trees works better for my eye.

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 04/26/15 at 09:01 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Roel, after spending some time comparing the two, I think I'll vote for the first view, because I'm especially attracted to all the details in the rocks.  The sky and hits of color in the clouds add nicely to the story, but they don't grab my interest like the rocks.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 04/26/15 at 10:39 am EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Roel, Both of these are very nice images and I can enjoy them both. For my taste I prefer the first one with less sky for the same reasons as Mark. Wonderful scene!

Nick Bristol

Lone Rock, WI 

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Monica Orchard on 04/26/15 at 6:58 pm EST    
Registered on 03/04/15, 11 Posts, 73 Comments

In both images the ice capped rocks are the main subject. I like the first image because it shows more of the rocks, but the second image shows them closer and in more detail. My vote might be for a horizontal shot, but cropped a bit closer.

Monica Orchard
Ottawa, Canada
Just living is not enough, said the butterfly. [i]One must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower.[/i] -- Hans Christian Anderson

All Photos and Comments by Monica Orchard

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ryan Shain on 04/27/15 at 10:23 pm EST    
Registered on 02/20/07, 226 Posts, 4571 Comments

hI Roel,

I like both of your image, but I am going to have to go with the horizontal presentation. I like it for the larger area of view of the rocks. I guess the rocks rock in the first image. devil

Beautiful work on both of these image again.

Ryan Shain
Joliet, IL

The universal Mind contains all knowledge. It is the ultimate potential of all things. To it, all things are possible.

Ernest Holmes

All Photos and Comments by Ryan Shain

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Carey Closs on 04/29/15 at 03:29 am EST    
Registered on 04/15/12, 107 Posts, 326 Comments

Ok, I'll be the lone voter for this one. The foreground seems more intimate,  like I am right in the scene.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Carey  Closs Gallery of Carey  Closs

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership