Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

The haunting
Photo posted by Roel Wijtmans in the Landscape gallery on 04/18/15 at 12:49 pm EST
Registered on 09/30/12, 116 Posts, 2257 Comments

This is taken one hour or so after my photo "phoenix rising". At this point the intensity had become much less, but also the appearance had changed a lot. Parts of the sky would just turn on and off like a disco. To me, this photo has the appearance of a ghost haunting me, but that might be just my imagination, haha.

As a side note, at the time when I took "phoenix rising", I actually managed to overexpose an aurora shot, it was that intense! I never expected to overexpose an aurora shot I must say....

14 mm, ISO 3200, 5 s, f/3.5. Rago national park, Norway.

C&C welcome, large version is included!

Roel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Roel Wijtmans Gallery of Roel Wijtmans
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jean C Cajolet on 04/18/15 at 1:09 pm EST    
Registered on 04/28/14, 53 Posts, 532 Comments
Comment last edited by Jean C Cajolet on 04/18/15 at 1:09 pm EST

I like this picture a lot. Stars in the aurora, colors and the composition it's like the aurora is starting between the two hills. Bravo!

-jc

Jean-Claude Cajolet
Qc, Canada
www.cajophoto.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jean C Cajolet Gallery of Jean C Cajolet

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Gary Reed on 04/18/15 at 1:37 pm EST    
Registered on 09/19/09, 198 Posts, 1074 Comments

I like the position of the colours in the sky. Nice balance and clear stars!

All Photos and Comments by Gary Reed

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 04/18/15 at 7:03 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Roel, this has a fine, quiet elegance, with the aurora appearing like clouds.  The stars showing is a great addition.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 04/18/15 at 8:25 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Roel,

I know you've shot this subject numerous times, as have others, but I really think it's your best. This is partly due to a more unsual structure that these lights had on the this night but much of it has to do with the shade of green that you chose to impart to these lights. These rich greens work beautifully with the dark blue/ black sky. It's really almost light an abstract. A splash of paint. I think you're on to something here and can probably continue with this new interpretation. Great job.

BTW, the first time I saw this and read the title I thought of your countryman's painting "The Scream".

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Carey Closs on 04/18/15 at 11:26 pm EST    
Registered on 04/15/12, 107 Posts, 326 Comments

Beautiful color and patterns in the aurora.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Carey  Closs Gallery of Carey  Closs

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Roel Wijtmans on 04/19/15 at 03:27 am EST    
Registered on 09/30/12, 116 Posts, 2257 Comments

Thanks for the comments all!

Igor, that's an interesting comparison, I had not thought of that. But I see what you mean! Oh, and I am not Norwegian, I'm actually a Dutch guy living in Sweden, occasionally making trips in Norway cool.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Roel Wijtmans Gallery of Roel Wijtmans

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ryan Shain on 04/19/15 at 10:26 pm EST    
Registered on 02/20/07, 226 Posts, 4571 Comments
Comment last edited by Ryan Shain on 04/19/15 at 10:26 pm EST

WOW Roel,

This image is so very unique in every way. The splash of the green light is enchanting, yet haunting all at the same time. The framing is very nice with the forest anchoring the bottom, and the contrasts are just right.

Excellent work!!!! devil

Ryan Shain
Joliet, IL

The universal Mind contains all knowledge. It is the ultimate potential of all things. To it, all things are possible.

Ernest Holmes

All Photos and Comments by Ryan Shain

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kah Kit Yoong on 04/20/15 at 09:21 am EST    
Registered on 09/27/06, 636 Posts, 10682 Comments

Extremely cool.

Landscape and M&N Gallery Moderator
Melbourne, Australia
Blog : [url]http://www.magichourunplugged.com/[/url]

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kah Kit Yoong Gallery of Kah Kit Yoong

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by D.A. Edwards on 04/20/15 at 12:08 pm EST    
Registered on 10/08/14, 226 Posts, 1187 Comments
Comment last edited by D.A. Edwards on 04/20/15 at 12:09 pm EST

Very effective aurora with stars rendition, I like the purple accents. Not sure about the single large green spot within the trees... if it were mine I'd probably clone that away. Great image!

D.A. (Dave) Edwards
Sacramento, The Golden State, USA

All Photos and Comments by D.A. Edwards

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Alberto Patiño on 04/20/15 at 3:05 pm EST    
Registered on 12/02/14, 278 Posts, 1736 Comments

I can see the ghost, but to me the most beautiful aspect of this image is the strong sense of the lights spreading out from a well-defined radiant. I remember seeing some spectacular auroras with just this "radiant" pattern just outside Tromsø many years ago, before digital, so my slides were completely useless.... your aurora pictures have more or less made up my mind of heading up there next winter (last time somebody else paid for it, as I was working up there, this time it will be on me...). Thanks for sharing!

Alberto Patiño Douce
Athens, GA, USA

Four Billion Years Website

Four Billion Years Blog

We have faith that future generations will know that here, in the middle of the twentieth century, there came a time when men of good will found a way to unite and fight to destroy the forces of ignorance and intolerance.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt, February 12, 1943 

Sic transit gloria mundi

All Photos and Comments by Alberto Patiño

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership