Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

The first light
Photo posted by Roel Wijtmans in the Landscape gallery on 03/31/15 at 11:36 am EST
Registered on 09/30/12, 116 Posts, 2257 Comments

I am curious for your thoughts about this one. I have my thoughts of course, but I want to know what others think. One early morning at another great campsite at the sea!

35 mm, f/18, ISO 200, 5 sec, ND6.

C&C welcome, large version is included!

Roel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Roel Wijtmans Gallery of Roel Wijtmans
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ronald Murphy on 03/31/15 at 1:18 pm EST    
Registered on 03/13/12, 279 Posts, 975 Comments

The sky, of course, could be a bit more fun, but the calm sea and warm morning light work nicely for me. There is great texture in the rocks too.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ronald Murphy Gallery of Ronald Murphy

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Philip Hodgkins on 03/31/15 at 4:14 pm EST    
Registered on 07/24/06, 2741 Posts, 12349 Comments

I believe if you cropped about 25% from the top and applied a digital ND grad of a further -1.5 to the remainder of the sky, you might further remove some of the bland from this otherwise fine morning shot.

Phil Hodgkins
Savannah, Georgia
NPN # 1998
Flora Gallery Co-moderator

“The task is...not so much to see what no one has yet seen; but to think what nobody has yet thought, about that which everybody sees.”
― Erwin Schrödinger

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Philip Hodgkins Gallery of Philip Hodgkins

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kah Kit Yoong on 03/31/15 at 9:43 pm EST    
Registered on 09/27/06, 636 Posts, 10682 Comments

I agree that the brightness of the sky makes it somewhat bland. The warm light on the foreground is really nice.

Landscape and M&N Gallery Moderator
Melbourne, Australia
Blog : [url]http://www.magichourunplugged.com/[/url]

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kah Kit Yoong Gallery of Kah Kit Yoong

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Alberto Patiño on 03/31/15 at 10:57 pm EST    
Registered on 12/02/14, 278 Posts, 1736 Comments
Comment last edited by Alberto Patiño on 04/01/15 at 09:05 am EST

Roel,

I don't object to the sky tones, as I believe that they fit the mood very well - more contrast would ruin the peaceful feeling, I think. I do have two "nits": the sea looks a bit too bright, and the dark line on the horizon look unnatural (but I'm not sure what you can do about this). I'd love to have been camping there, though!

Alberto Patiño Douce
Athens, GA, USA

Four Billion Years Website

Four Billion Years Blog

We have faith that future generations will know that here, in the middle of the twentieth century, there came a time when men of good will found a way to unite and fight to destroy the forces of ignorance and intolerance.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt, February 12, 1943 

Sic transit gloria mundi

All Photos and Comments by Alberto Patiño

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 04/01/15 at 01:36 am EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

An interesting and stark image. I guess we all view these types of photographs differently, which is a very good thing. This is one of those, "if this were mine", sort of exercises. If this were mine, I would try to draw just a little more attention to the sky and to the cloud in particular. As is, for me, at this point in time, I think the foreground is overwhelming the rest of the image. I do like the subtle colors and the overall mood. It has an appeal that is hard to put my finger on.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Hansen on 04/01/15 at 3:37 pm EST    
Registered on 05/05/11, 161 Posts, 908 Comments

Love the foreground rocks Roel. I also like the texture created in the sea by the long shutter speed. The sky is a bit too empty for me, though it does have some nice color. I wonder if it would help if that cloud was a little bolder. On the other hand, the more I look at it the more I appreciate the subtlety and simplicity of this image.

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim Hansen Gallery of Jim Hansen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dietrich Gloger on 04/02/15 at 01:53 am EST    
Registered on 01/26/07, 360 Posts, 9876 Comments

Works for me! "Stark" as Gary commented fits well as description. I like it and I think you did well using very basic ingredients to make an image that conveys "something".

Dietrich ("Didl") Gloger, Linz-Vienna, Austria.
Wista DX, 4x5", Provia and Velvia.
Canon EOS 5D,
EF 24-105mm; EF 70-200mm IS; TS-E 45mm;
www.dietrichgloger.at

All Photos and Comments by Dietrich Gloger

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 04/02/15 at 2:20 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

I usually avoid vertical images where the horizon bisects it in half. It's a problem with horizontal images but more so with vertical. With this image I would make a commitment either to the sky and make it about the sky or about the rocks and crop much of the sky out. For my taste I would crop from bottom creating a three layer image - rock, sea, and sky with the sky dominating as the largest layer but the rocks providing a strong counterpoint because of their richer tones and texture.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Tony Kuyper on 04/02/15 at 10:43 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 364 Posts, 22328 Comments

I like the comp with the focal points of the pool and the cloud. The dark line on the horizon seems a bit strong.

Tony Kuyper
Luminosity Masks and other tutorials

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Tony Kuyper Gallery of Tony Kuyper

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ken Henke on 04/10/15 at 7:12 pm EST    
Registered on 02/20/12, 117 Posts, 285 Comments

The foreground is just great with nice light and texture. But for me, the sky and water as just a bit flat. Maybe some significant levels/curves work just on the sky and water to bring out some richness? Cropping out some sky could also benefit this image and put the focus on the gorgeous foreground. 

Ken Henke
Wellington, CO
http://www.henkeimagery.com

All Photos and Comments by Ken Henke

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership