Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Hummingbird moth
Photo posted by Gary Yeoh in the Macro & Close-up gallery on 07/06/14 at 08:52 am EST
Registered on 09/01/09, 588 Posts, 8184 Comments

The hummingbird moth is a really impressive flyer and can stay in one spot even with a moderate breeze blowing (as shown by the swaying flowers).

D600 105mm F10 1/30 sec handheld.

Our exhibition is underway and although the subjects are mainly flora, we also have a few critters (dragonfly, lychee sting bug and a moth pupa) on display.

Gary Yeoh
Hong Kong

The Mystical Garden Project

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Gary Yeoh Gallery of Gary Yeoh
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 07/06/14 at 10:16 am EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

I like the sense of motion, Gary. Everything is sharp enough for the viewer to know what they are looking at, including the hummingbird moth, but nicely blurred to convey the motion.

Click on the "exhibition" link in Gary's post to view the web presentation of his exhibit. Jaw-dropping images.

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Philip Hodgkins on 07/06/14 at 4:22 pm EST    
Registered on 07/24/06, 2741 Posts, 12349 Comments

A good photograph of motion. The hummingbird moth is obvious. These are actually almost hummer size. The first time I saw a swarm of these on some ginger lilies, I thought we had cornered the market on hummingbirds!

Phil Hodgkins
Savannah, Georgia
NPN # 1998
Flora Gallery Co-moderator

“The task is...not so much to see what no one has yet seen; but to think what nobody has yet thought, about that which everybody sees.”
― Erwin Schrödinger

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Philip Hodgkins Gallery of Philip Hodgkins

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ramamohan Pai on 07/06/14 at 10:02 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 550 Posts, 9037 Comments

Gary - Excellent environmental shot with some education built into it. Pretty cool

Ram
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

All Photos and Comments by Ramamohan Pai

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Howard Cheek on 07/07/14 at 08:02 am EST    
Registered on 07/24/08, 1201 Posts, 10758 Comments

Shooting with a moderate breeze handheld @ 1/30th is something I never do..
Perhaps I should, I like the overall result Gary.
Unless intentional, the graininess is my only nit
PS - I viewed the slideshow for 'The Mystical Garden Project' cool..
I thought I was back in the 70's on an acid trip. Amazing work

Howard Cheek
Kempner, TX

"Look deep, deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better" ~ Albert Einstein

HowardCheekPhotography.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Howard Cheek Gallery of Howard Cheek

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership