Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Decomposition
Photo posted by Gary Yeoh in the Flora gallery on 07/06/14 at 08:31 am EST
Registered on 09/01/09, 588 Posts, 8184 Comments
Post last edited by Gary Yeoh on 07/06/14 at 08:34 am EST

Have been busy preparing for an exhibition . Now that the show is underway, I now have a little more time for posting again.

A clump of decomposing leaves in a water drainage channel with a thin film of oil on the surface. I am not sure where the oil comes from but it may have originated from the decaying leaves.

Most people are put off by death and decay but death is part of life. Is this revolting or is this beautiful?

Gary Yeoh
Hong Kong

The Mystical Garden Project

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Gary Yeoh Gallery of Gary Yeoh
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 07/06/14 at 10:07 am EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

Well seen and captured image of the decomposing leaves and resulting oil, Gary. I find it neither revolting or beautiful, but an interesting examination of the process, and artistic in form.

I encourage everyone to click on the "exhibition" link in Gary's post to view the web presentation of his exhibit. Jaw-dropping images.

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ian Wolfenden on 07/06/14 at 2:18 pm EST    
Registered on 05/18/07, 1108 Posts, 7647 Comments

A bit of ` art brut ' I would say, Gary. Not beautiful but not perhaps meant to be. Expressive, though, definitely. Powerful textures and a strong sense of decay make for a strong image.

Manchester, England

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ian Wolfenden Gallery of Ian Wolfenden

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Philip Hodgkins on 07/06/14 at 6:31 pm EST    
Registered on 07/24/06, 2741 Posts, 12349 Comments

A sound image, not pretty, but authentic. And death is a comma or the period at the end of life, depending on your faith and belief.

Phil Hodgkins
Savannah, Georgia
NPN # 1998
Flora Gallery Co-moderator

“The task is...not so much to see what no one has yet seen; but to think what nobody has yet thought, about that which everybody sees.”
― Erwin Schrödinger

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Philip Hodgkins Gallery of Philip Hodgkins

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ramamohan Pai on 07/06/14 at 9:03 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 550 Posts, 9037 Comments

Gary - Nicely seen and reminds me of Mike Moats' photos on identical theme. I agree with your interpretation. I like that oily blue sheen. There can be beauty in such photos if leaves with better shapes (like Oak, Maple etc) are selected.

Ram
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

All Photos and Comments by Ramamohan Pai

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Fach on 07/07/14 at 08:21 am EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 1805 Posts, 26981 Comments
Comment last edited by Gary Yeoh on 07/07/14 at 09:21 am EST

Gary: Like Ram I remember Mike Moats' images and that was my first impression with this. Good vision. On a technical note, I wonder what if any effect a polarizer might produce. >=))>

Bill: A CP was used in this shot {Gary}

Bill Fach
Soli Deo Gloria
www.sdgimages.com
Houston, Texas
Flora Gallery Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Fach Gallery of Bill Fach

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership