Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Turkmen Badlands + repost!
Photo posted by Stuart Williams in the Landscape gallery on 06/02/14 at 02:42 am EST
Registered on 12/07/07, 247 Posts, 4792 Comments
Post last edited by Stuart Williams on 06/04/14 at 12:38 am EST

One of the simple reasons that I am posting this is because it is a place that I was privileged to visit last month (May 2014) and it is a place to which very, very few people will ever get.

It is within the proposed Sumbar National Park in Turkmenistan close to the Turkmen-Iranian border. These are the strange foothills of the Kopetdag Mountains before they disappear in the Karakum Desert.

Please have a look at the L A R G E R version! See also R E - P O S T with bigger contrast below ...

Thanks
Stuart

Hasselblad 500c/m, 150mm lens, Ilford Delta 100 b&w film, tripod.

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

"one's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things" - henry miller

NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Stuart Williams Gallery of Stuart Williams
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John&Patty Benway on 06/02/14 at 08:57 am EST    
Registered on 05/12/06, 626 Posts, 8700 Comments

Very nice Stuart, I like this very much, really holds my attention, so much to see and explore. Beautifully seen and presented.
John

John & Patty Benway
Northeast Streams & Forest

Portraits Of Nature
Intimate part of a whole seldom ever seen for itself, only a part of a whole, sometimes, most times chaotic, but still the foundation of its larger part, and for its beauty and purpose should be seen and not overlooked.
J Benway

All Photos and Comments by John&Patty Benway

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 06/02/14 at 09:12 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

I like this a lot, Stuart. Nice lines, sense of texture in the hills and fascinating shapes.

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 06/02/14 at 09:30 am EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments

Excellent depth to this one, Stuart. The perspective and your well placed composition makes this one work very well.

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 06/02/14 at 10:33 am EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

Wow, Stuart, this looks like a fascinating place to explore. I like the perspective from this high point . The details are wonderful and makes me want to explore this area further. Hopefully some more intimate comps coming. I really appreciate your insightful comments on my images and your gallery is a real treasure.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Navin Sarma on 06/02/14 at 10:42 am EST    
Registered on 07/17/11, 233 Posts, 1373 Comments

sweet! an amazing view, no nits from me.

Navin Sarma
Washington, D.C.

website

All Photos and Comments by Navin Sarma

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Rick Turner on 06/02/14 at 11:09 am EST    
Registered on 02/18/12, 534 Posts, 2755 Comments

Very well done. The larger version is sweet and the story helpful.. Thanks

Rick Turner
Dallas

"Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships"..
Ansel Adams

Keep on Shooting!
God Bless Texas!!!!!!

Personal Website    Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Rick Turner Gallery of Rick Turner

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 06/02/14 at 11:51 am EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Stuart, This is very impressive to look at and I'm glad you posted it for us to see.

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 06/02/14 at 12:10 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Beautiful rendition of this topography. The lack of scale adds to the abstract quality for me. Seems a relatively high key image in terms of processing. I'm wondering if you tried pulling the blacks and brights in on the histogram to add contrast? Might create additional punch to the folds. Does remind me of places in the American southwest. A visual maze, in a good way

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stuart Williams on 06/02/14 at 12:35 pm EST    

thanks all.

@ harry - I am still experimenting with the tones in this and having fiddled around with another exposure (made a few minutes earlier than this one), i am not particularly happy with this. it is relatively true to the scene ... if i come up with something i am happy with, i shall post it!

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

"one's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things" - henry miller

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Stuart Williams Gallery of Stuart Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 06/02/14 at 12:47 pm EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

This is so intriguing Stuart. So much for the ye to explore and yet, it's not too busy at all. Well done!

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Youssef Ismail on 06/02/14 at 3:41 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 474 Posts, 5555 Comments

Fascinating features. B&W was a great choice.

Sincerely,
Youssef Ismail - Los Gatos, CA
Organic Light Photography
Organic Light Pan - Web Journal
NPN 1234

See the world in a new light ...
...Organic Light!

------
   Follow Me on Twitter
Become a Fan on Facebook
If you contemplate the sublimity of The Sublime then all suspicion will sublimate into certainty about what you are seeing and what you saw and what you will see. The fog of illusion will then vanish and only Reality will remain without any doubt or suspicion.

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Youssef Ismail Gallery of Youssef Ismail

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 06/02/14 at 4:30 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

Stuart,

I like the high-key tonal scale. Yeah, you could increase the contrast, but I wonder if the sense of light would be lost?

I'd be interested in seeing a repost with slightly more contrast, just to compare.

Sure looks like lonesome country!

--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 06/02/14 at 7:05 pm EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

Amazing landscape Stuart. Love the detail in the larger view. I wonder if a little adjustment to the blacks (via exposure, film development, or PS) would accentuate the lines etched in the landscape making it even more abstract. Still enjoy the view as is since it is so different. Was travel safe there?

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Vance Gese on 06/03/14 at 01:09 am EST    
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments

This is gorgeous, Stuart. While I could see playing with the contrast / dark regions and lines as a few have suggested, I really like the luminous quality that this image imbues; almost a glow that envelopes the entire image. Exquisite art in my opinion.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kah Kit Yoong on 06/03/14 at 03:56 am EST    
Registered on 09/27/06, 636 Posts, 10682 Comments

Loving the labyrinthine patterns and textures here. I wouldn't have though a high key treatment be the first interpretation I would have tried but it works well and probably makes it stand out from what everyone else is doing these days.

Landscape and M&N Gallery Moderator
Melbourne, Australia
Blog : [url]http://www.magichourunplugged.com/[/url]

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kah Kit Yoong Gallery of Kah Kit Yoong

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 06/03/14 at 12:17 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

The shapes and textures are awesome. Great job of emphasizing them in your b/w treatment.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Andrew Waddington on 06/03/14 at 12:19 pm EST    
Registered on 02/11/14, 44 Posts, 183 Comments

Great image, not often we see something from Turkmenistan. I wonder if you managed to get a long enough visit, I remember when I tried to access Turkmenistan I could only get about a 5 day visa.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Andrew Waddington Gallery of Andrew Waddington

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Joseph Campisi on 06/03/14 at 3:05 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/08, 304 Posts, 3211 Comments

Love the high key treatment Stuart, and those furrows and patterns really catch my eye! I could even see a crop of just the bottom 2/3rds for a great abstract. Nice work!

Joe Campisi
Federal Way, WA

"It's not what we make, it's what we make possible!"

All Photos and Comments by Joseph Campisi

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stuart Williams on 06/04/14 at 12:33 am EST    

thanks, folks. here's the re-post, more deeply etched, darks darker ...!! thoughts?

@ preston - lonely? not a soul in sight - just wolf tracks and a few partridges.

@ eva - safe? couldn't be safer. i was there for 'work' - assessing the protected area that they were trying to establish - and was in the hands of good and competent people.

@ joseph - I have a couple of other exposure that emphasise some of the more abstract qualities of the landscape as well.

thanks again to all.

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Stuart Williams Gallery of Stuart Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Pat Sampson on 06/04/14 at 08:34 am EST    
Registered on 05/19/07, 953 Posts, 15989 Comments

Stuart,

I like both images very much but prefer the first. The second seems more conventional and realistic to me while the first has an abstract quality I prefer. I also think Preston is right and that the first better better depicts the light.

pat

Patrick Sampson

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Pat Sampson Gallery of Pat Sampson

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stuart Williams on 06/04/14 at 10:34 am EST    

Thanks pat - yep, i tend to agree with you!

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by R.Bill Moser on 06/04/14 at 4:18 pm EST    
Registered on 01/29/10, 285 Posts, 4281 Comments

This is a wonderful black and white image. Excellent work Great lines and textures...and an amazing view.

Roland "Bill" Moser
Switzerland
Facebook
[url=https://plus.google.com/u/0/115460639661169838534/posts][b]google+[/b][/url]
[url=https://500px.com/nature-moments][b]500px[/b][/url]

All Photos and Comments by R.Bill Moser

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kane Engelbert on 06/04/14 at 7:35 pm EST    
Registered on 06/14/09, 63 Posts, 291 Comments

That repost is stunning!

Kane Engelbert
KAE PHOTOGRAPHY.COM
Highlands Ranch Colorado

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kane Engelbert Gallery of Kane Engelbert

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dietrich Gloger on 06/06/14 at 11:28 am EST    
Registered on 01/26/07, 360 Posts, 9876 Comments

The depth conveyed here is absolutely amazing. The composition flows so well from near to far. I like the original, lighter presentation. The sense of distance comes across better, I think.

Dietrich ("Didl") Gloger, Linz-Vienna, Austria.
Wista DX, 4x5", Provia and Velvia.
Canon EOS 5D,
EF 24-105mm; EF 70-200mm IS; TS-E 45mm;
www.dietrichgloger.at

All Photos and Comments by Dietrich Gloger

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Williams on 06/07/14 at 01:27 am EST    
Registered on 09/06/07, 221 Posts, 5985 Comments

Finally! I've been looking forward to your next post! This satisfies nicely. That's a special photo, of what sounds like a special place. What a web of lines you captured. My preference is for the original; it has a delicateness that the repost doesn't.

John Williams
www.tranquilviews.com
Battle Ground, WA
I often have wandered in deep contemplation, It seems that the mind runs wild when you're all alone. -John Denver

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Williams Gallery of John Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership