Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Sakura II + repost
Photo posted by Gary Yeoh in the Flora gallery on 04/16/13 at 10:45 am EST
Registered on 09/01/09, 588 Posts, 8184 Comments
Post last edited by Gary Yeoh on 04/19/13 at 11:50 am EST

I have been going to Japan for the past 3 years to enjoy the Sakura season. In the past, I tended to zoom in on the blossoms for close up and macro composition. This year, I wanted to do something different. For one thing, I did not want to carry around all my heavy gear and travelling with family I was given a time limit on how long I can spend taking photographs. So in the end I decided to only use my 50mmF1.4 lens as much as possible.

I have one particular image I want to make this season, that was an image as close to the classical ink on rice paper oriental painting look of an ancient cherry tree with twisted trunk and lovely blossoms. I spent many days looking at many trees and eventually found this one outside the main entrance to the Imperial East Garden in Tokyo. I knew that this branch was what I was looking for but the problem was there was a lot of distracting elements around as this was next to a 6 lane highway and the high rises of Marouichi Building and other buildings around Tokyo station. For this shot, I had to lie down on the walkway behind crowds waiting patiently at the lights to cross the road. Sure had a few frowns from the crowd. I also had to break out the 105mm lens to frame this shot against the sky.

I also wanted the faint shadow of the trunk with the black ink bleeding at the edge when applied to rice paper. So it is down to post processing. I layered the same image on itself, copied the dark trunk and shifted it slightly. Finished off with TK luminosity mask and glow.

Interested in your comment on this image.

D600 105mm F8 1/800sec.

Gary Yeoh
Hong Kong

The Mystical Garden Project

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Gary Yeoh Gallery of Gary Yeoh
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by SandyRichardsBrown on 04/16/13 at 11:53 am EST    
Registered on 11/24/03, 3937 Posts, 12909 Comments

Hmmmmm... not so sure about this one. The dark tree trunk dominates this, when I find the lacey, dainty leaves of much more interest. I'm afraid I'm not a fan of the shadows, either.
I'd like to see a frame with just the left half of this image - mostly leaves and a bit of trunk, lightened up if possible.
Sandy

Sandy Richards-Brown, NPN #0367
Brookings, Oregon (summer/fall) and Sedona, Arizona (winter/spring)   
PNW and RMNP  Regional Member 
NATURE'S MAJESTY IMAGING
http://naturesmajestyimaging.zenfolio.com/

"All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
Each little flower that opens, Each little bird that sings, He made their glowing colors, He made their tiny wings."

- Ce­cil F. Al­ex­an­der, Hymns for Lit­tle Child­ren, 1848, Ireland

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by SandyRichardsBrown Gallery of SandyRichardsBrown

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Clulow on 04/16/13 at 6:57 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/12, 155 Posts, 1079 Comments

I like this image which is why I decided to take a closer look from the thumbnail. While I have read and appreciate your narrative, I would tend to agree with Sandy Richards' comments. Maybe for a purist with your knowledge of classical ink on paper Japanese images this really rocks. But the rest of us are seeing it from other templates. I think the addition of the "ink bleed" as you describe it, in PS kind of adds insult to injury. Someone who is knowledgeable might "get it", but I don't.

But the image does have something that caught my eye, and probably Sandy Richards' eye, although I certainly cannot speak for anyone else. And so I did try a horizontal flip in photoshop. I then asked my wife to take a look at it. She has done raku and a lot of Japanese style stuff quite successfully for many years, including ikebana vessels etc.

She likes your image, however she much prefers it flipped horizontally, and she, like me, doesn't particulary appreciate the "shadow" you've added to it.

I also thought about a full silhouette, and she says, and I agree, that would be wrong and make it a totally different image.

So that's my 4 cents worth.

I only went out for a walk, and finally decided to stay out till sundown; Going out, I found, was really going in. - John Muir

All Photos and Comments by John Clulow

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Gary Yeoh on 04/16/13 at 7:48 pm EST    

Sandy & John

I really appreciate both of you for taking the time to comment on this image and for your honest assessment. I know I do get carried away with an idea and overlook some obvious 'flaws' and that is why feedback on this site is so valuable. In fact a 'negative' feedback is more valuable than a flattering 'this is a beautiful ' comment.

I kind of expected that this image will not resonate with many but there is something here that appeal to me (but I can't quite put my finger on it at the moment but there is something here that made me take this picture lying on the footpath!) so it is not the end of the road yet. It's back to the drawing board for another iteration. I will need to experiment with the bleeding process with blending (just bought the ebook on 'Hidden treasures of blending' yesterday).

Gary Yeoh
Hong Kong

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Gary Yeoh Gallery of Gary Yeoh

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Philip Hodgkins on 04/16/13 at 7:56 pm EST    
Registered on 07/24/06, 2741 Posts, 12349 Comments

I agree with Sandy's and John's comments, and I am glad you intend to pursue this on to another iteration. I will be most interested to see what you come up with.

Phil Hodgkins
Savannah, Georgia
NPN # 1998
Flora Gallery Co-moderator

“The task is...not so much to see what no one has yet seen; but to think what nobody has yet thought, about that which everybody sees.”
― Erwin Schrödinger

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Philip Hodgkins Gallery of Philip Hodgkins

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 04/16/13 at 9:46 pm EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

The image itself is well seen and composed, Gary, and I can see the classic Japanese artistry you were after in the underlying image. Like the previous comments, I am unsure about the shadow. I'd play with the processing some more, Gary, as there is plenty of potential here for an artistic fine print.

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ian Wolfenden on 04/17/13 at 5:05 pm EST    
Registered on 05/18/07, 1108 Posts, 7647 Comments

I like this enormously, Gary. Personally I have no problem with the bleeding effect - it somehow adds to the mood, which to me is, dare I say, slightly sinister ( another thing I love about this - so unusual for a Spring cherry ! ). There is a dark beauty here in the compelling graphic quality of the image.

Manchester, England

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ian Wolfenden Gallery of Ian Wolfenden

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eirini Pajak on 04/17/13 at 5:21 pm EST    
Registered on 12/13/11, 216 Posts, 1671 Comments

I am also not a fan of the shadow & I feel the main trunk is just too dominant. I really like the smaller branch & feel that one had a lot more to offer on it's own.

Eirini Pajak
Florence, AZ
http://eirinipajak.com

All Photos and Comments by Eirini Pajak

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dennis Plank on 04/17/13 at 8:03 pm EST    
Registered on 01/28/08, 1767 Posts, 23192 Comments

Beautiful composition, Gary. I'm not that familiar with classical Japanese art, but wouldn't the ink bleed in all directions?

Dennis Plank
Littlerock, Washington

NPN 3675

http://www.cranesongscalling.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dennis Plank Gallery of Dennis Plank

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Albert Darmo on 04/18/13 at 10:28 am EST    
Registered on 11/25/08, 1386 Posts, 11978 Comments

Hi Gary A terrific composition the graphic qualities are stunning. a very fine work of art except for the shadows..... if i'm odd man out , so be it ! wish more members would try something daring like this
Albert Darmo

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Albert Darmo Gallery of Albert Darmo

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Catherine Reilly on 04/18/13 at 5:04 pm EST    
Registered on 08/16/06, 603 Posts, 9192 Comments
Comment last edited by Catherine Reilly on 04/18/13 at 5:07 pm EST

I'll say at the outset that I am ignorant of the ink-on-rice paper look. But this sure does have a classic asian style about it. I love, love, love the concept, Gary. I think I like the boldness of the trunk juxtaposed with the delicacy of the blossoms and like how the branches are arranged. I think I'd be happier if I could see a few more details in the trunk, even just slightly. The "bleed" is not attractive to me as it looks here. I'll be so interested to see your continuing work on this project. I'm curious about how it might look if the branches on the right dangled in front of the tree trunk... and/or if the trunk exited the frame more to the left instead of right at the corner... Or maybe it should just remain almost as is with all the tension in it. A very thought-provokig image!

Catherine Reilly
Seattle, WA
Ad lucem quam inhabitas--
To the light wherein Thou doest dwell

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Catherine Reilly Gallery of Catherine Reilly

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Gary Yeoh on 04/19/13 at 11:47 am EST    
Comment last edited by Gary Yeoh on 04/19/13 at 11:48 am EST

This is the 2nd iteration of this image and still very much work in progress. It is getting closer to what I am looking for but I am not through with the processing yet. What attracted me to this composition is the minimal zen like look. The image is pretty much B&W and in fact the B&W does not look too different from this version. The trunk is very much integral to the composition and I think I over did the black and saturation in the original. I have dial back the black and brightened up the trunk and reduced the overall saturation.

Thanks for all the comments so far and I look forward to further suggestions.

Gary Yeoh
Hong Kong

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Gary Yeoh Gallery of Gary Yeoh

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 04/20/13 at 6:00 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Gary, I spent some time looking at both of these images and writing a comment and it not here! No way to tell if that's operator error (me) or a weird web problem. Anyway, the original post definitely has much of the feeling of the art that you're talking about and I think the "blur" adds to that artistic vision. For me, the large dark trunk is too massive for the branch and blooms. I was wondering what dodging the trunk would do, when I noticed the repost. I think that helps noticeably, especially on that interesting twisted branch. Not so much with the main trunk. May a bit more dodging on the main branch would provide better balance between the light airy flowers and their supports. I also think that the three small branches with only fresh leaves coming in near the urc pull attention from the very interesting twists of the small branch and the lovely flowers. I definitely applaud your experiment!

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership