Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Seedhead
Photo posted by Gary Yeoh in the Flora gallery on 02/12/13 at 09:43 am EST
Registered on 09/01/09, 588 Posts, 8184 Comments
Post last edited by Gary Yeoh on 04/15/13 at 05:40 am EST

This seedhead is one of the materials used in a Christmas arrangement at Ikebana class. I don't even know its name and would appreciate it if some one knows what this is called. It started of as a closed almost like a bud but over the 3 weeks this seedhead undergoes an amazing transformation opening up and exposing the seeds. This is the image taken just today, almost 6 weeks since this was used and in the mean time I have also done a CT scan which really blows me away.

D90 105mm F8 1/30 stack of 7 images, backlit with light box. Please see larger version for details.

The seeds are real fun to photograph as well and I have posted one image in Macro.

The Chinese name from this plant is 銀果木百合 and is probably a Leucadendron argenteum seedhead

Gary Yeoh
Hong Kong

The Mystical Garden Project

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Gary Yeoh Gallery of Gary Yeoh
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Gary Yeoh on 02/12/13 at 09:46 am EST    

Shard!
CT scan, side view

Gary Yeoh
Hong Kong

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Gary Yeoh Gallery of Gary Yeoh

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Gary Yeoh on 02/12/13 at 09:52 am EST    

This is an endoscopic view looking up from within the stem to the top of the seed head. This POV can only be done with 3D reconstruction and attest to the versatility of the CT scan. How cool is this?

Gary Yeoh
Hong Kong

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Gary Yeoh Gallery of Gary Yeoh

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lucy VanSwearingen on 02/12/13 at 10:37 am EST    
Registered on 05/23/09, 800 Posts, 2042 Comments

Wow These scans really do blow me away. I like the yellow one best, but the third one looks almost 3D. What an incredible level of detail you've captured. Way cool

Lucy VanSwearingen
Richmond, TX

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. ~ Sir Winston Churchill

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lucy VanSwearingen Gallery of Lucy VanSwearingen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Steve Kennedy on 02/12/13 at 10:44 am EST    
Registered on 03/09/09, 79 Posts, 676 Comments

Another WOW! You get to play with the coolest tools!

All 3 of these images are excellent.

Steve Kennedy
Maple Valley, WA
PNWNP Moderator

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Steve Kennedy Gallery of Steve Kennedy

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Fach on 02/12/13 at 11:36 am EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 1805 Posts, 26981 Comments

Gary: Will be sending you a bill for a completely fried -meter. It barely survived the straight image but when I viewed the scans it just blew up. Striking results all three although I do like the original best. Superior work. >=))>

Bill Fach
Soli Deo Gloria
www.sdgimages.com
Houston, Texas
Flora Gallery Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Fach Gallery of Bill Fach

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Barb Pflaum on 02/12/13 at 1:49 pm EST    
Registered on 01/14/09, 316 Posts, 2724 Comments

Wonderful detail in the first image, especially in the larger version! The second image is very cool. The third image is an amazing view that I had never imagined being able to see.

Barb Pflaum
Northern Illinois

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Barb Pflaum Gallery of Barb Pflaum

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Albert Darmo on 02/12/13 at 2:51 pm EST    
Registered on 11/25/08, 1386 Posts, 11978 Comments
Comment last edited by Albert Darmo on 02/12/13 at 2:53 pm EST

Hi Gary HELP!!!!! Your killing me with these images and scans All three are masterworks
Albert Darmo

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Albert Darmo Gallery of Albert Darmo

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Patricia Brundage on 02/12/13 at 3:09 pm EST    
Registered on 03/23/06, 1111 Posts, 6531 Comments

Awsome images Gary!!!! Love the first the best. The two CT Scans are amazing as well.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Patricia Brundage Gallery of Patricia Brundage

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Daniel & Loana on 02/12/13 at 5:37 pm EST    
Registered on 10/07/08, 166 Posts, 3044 Comments

The scans are really wonderful, Gary.
Congrats
D&L

Daniele Vigo & Loana Musso
Genova - Sanremo
Italy
www.passaggiditempo.altervista.org

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Daniel & Loana Gallery of Daniel & Loana

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 02/12/13 at 8:45 pm EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

These are all superb, Gary. I like the three different looks but the digital image is particularly nice.

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Rebmann on 02/12/13 at 9:52 pm EST    
Registered on 07/17/12, 31 Posts, 122 Comments

Wonderful photo, and the scans are interesting also!

Paul

Paul Rebmann
Ormond Beach, FL
Wild Florida Photo

All Photos and Comments by Paul Rebmann

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eirini Pajak on 02/13/13 at 06:53 am EST    
Registered on 12/13/11, 216 Posts, 1671 Comments

Nice! Although I think I like the first the best...the second scan comes pretty close! I love how it brings attention to the incredible structure of this plant!

Eirini Pajak
Florence, AZ
http://eirinipajak.com

All Photos and Comments by Eirini Pajak

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Wayne Jones on 02/13/13 at 11:56 am EST    
Registered on 04/18/07, 953 Posts, 6435 Comments

I do know what this is called -- it has two names: Brilliant; and Beautiful.

I like the "conventional" image because of exquisite detail and and the position of the seeds, which reveals even more of how the flower/fruit works. I reminds me of those gorgeous paintings in botany and natural history books that people end up framing a century later.

Then there are those "beyond visible light" scans! Both your innovation in using this imaging for art, and your artistic interpretation in manipulating the scans are truly remarkable. Like the master painters who illustrated those books of the past two centuries, your work transcends illustration; it is a wonderful combination of art and science.

Wayne Jones
Upstate New York

The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the composer; but when the last individual of a race of living beings breathes no more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be again. William Beebe, 1906

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Wayne Jones Gallery of Wayne Jones

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ramamohan Pai on 02/13/13 at 7:02 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 550 Posts, 9037 Comments

Gary - Only you can outdo yourself. So please feel free while giving us the viewing pleasure. Absolutely outstanding !!

Ram
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

All Photos and Comments by Ramamohan Pai

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ian Wolfenden on 02/15/13 at 12:46 pm EST    
Registered on 05/18/07, 1108 Posts, 7647 Comments

Must admit the original wins hands down for me, Gary; I just love all the subtle colours and the full feel of the seedhead, replete with life. The scans. of course, are spectacular, but I can enjoy the detailed forms of the flower more in the original image

Manchester, England

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ian Wolfenden Gallery of Ian Wolfenden

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Giuseppe Guadagno on 02/17/13 at 1:56 pm EST    
Registered on 02/03/07, 827 Posts, 5052 Comments

Gary, this is a beautiful photo of a splendid model. I have never seen it, naturally. Thanks for sharing.

Gigi

I never stop going out in search of the beautiful picture that - for my great luck - I will never take.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Giuseppe Guadagno Gallery of Giuseppe Guadagno

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Rob Graham on 02/17/13 at 4:30 pm EST    
Registered on 08/22/06, 842 Posts, 2824 Comments

the original post, with all the detail and soft colors brought out by the hi-key background is stunning. The first CT scan is neat, but the 2nd has its own beauty, due to the symmetry.

Rob Graham
Kansas, USA
Facebook
Website

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Rob Graham Gallery of Rob Graham

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Larry Lynch on 02/18/13 at 1:09 pm EST    
Registered on 09/16/06, 773 Posts, 9940 Comments

Beautiful choice of bg... A terrific image.

Seek the Light
Jesus is Lord

http://llynchphotography.com/

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Larry Lynch Gallery of Larry Lynch

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Carolyn Derstine on 02/18/13 at 1:14 pm EST    
Registered on 02/16/11, 610 Posts, 3684 Comments

Absolutely love your original image, Gary! The other treatments are also quite intriquing. . .they reveal lots of "hidden" beauty and are very eye-catching! Re the first image, I love so much about this!. . . great comp, subject, details, colors, textures, processing treatment. Just stunning!

Carolyn Derstine
Bucks County, PA
Weekly Challenge Moderator
   Allow yourself to be fascinated by the beauty in ordinary things,
so all things will prove to be extraordinary.

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Carolyn Derstine Gallery of Carolyn Derstine

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Morris McClung on 02/21/13 at 11:55 am EST    
Registered on 05/07/07, 670 Posts, 19650 Comments
Comment last edited by Morris McClung on 02/21/13 at 11:56 am EST

Exotic and wonderful! Great lighting and color. The CT is electrifying! As well as the endoscopic.

Morris McClung
Parker, Colorado

Website

"If it is more than 6 feet from the car, it is not photogenic." Edward Weston to Ansel Adams

“He who works with his hands is a laborer.
He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman.
He who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist.”

¯ St. Francis of Assisi

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Morris McClung Gallery of Morris McClung

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership