Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

spring melt
Photo posted by Stuart Williams in the Landscape gallery on 02/08/13 at 03:12 am EST
Registered on 12/07/07, 247 Posts, 4792 Comments

This image made very close to the Cross (or Jvari) Pass along the Georgian Military Highway in the Kazbergi section of the Greater Caucasus Range of northern Georgia. Made while on a plant-hunting trip in April/May 2012.

This is one of the images included in my selection of images from 2012: this can be downloaded by following this link

See also the L A R G E R version!

Thanks for looking; let me know what you think!!

Hasselblad 500c/m, 50mm lens, delta 100 b&w film

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

"one's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things" - henry miller

NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Stuart Williams Gallery of Stuart Williams
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Cothran on 02/08/13 at 09:48 am EST    
Registered on 12/05/12, 31 Posts, 730 Comments

The image takes on a very strong abstract look. As such, the overall composition is well balanced. There is some nice detail in the grasses & water (although again, it's not immediately apparent as to what they are, due to the abstraction), which appear to be mostly Zone V, averaged out.
Then, as to contrast the detailed ground area, is your snow area, which appears to be a good Zone VIII, with minimal detail. There is good harmony and balance between these two tonal areas, which seem to "bleed" into one another.
However... I'd like to see more detail in both, just to compare. I think some good contrast could be added to the grasses and rocks especially, and possibly to the foreground snow. Of course, this might instill a completely different mood to your image, so it really becomes a matter of personal taste. I would, at least, suggest trying it just to see the difference.
But as is, a great study in complimentary tonal zones.

Michael H. Cothran
Nashville, Tennessee

All Photos and Comments by Michael Cothran

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Hamed Musharbak on 02/08/13 at 11:01 am EST    
Registered on 06/01/09, 372 Posts, 2282 Comments

nice abstract, you have controlled the exposure in the white areas very well

good job

Hamed

Hamed Musharbak
United Arab Emirates
take a "U" turn & be different

Hamed Musharbak

All Photos and Comments by Hamed Musharbak

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Daniel Rappaport on 02/08/13 at 2:09 pm EST    
Registered on 09/09/09, 294 Posts, 2006 Comments

Nice composition. I don't know that it would work for the whole image, but the foreground might benefit from more full black.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Daniel Rappaport Gallery of Daniel Rappaport

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 02/08/13 at 6:56 pm EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

Love the diagonal lines Struart but I might be tempted to increase the contrast in the foreground especially the grasses on the right.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stuart Williams on 02/09/13 at 12:31 am EST    
Registered on 12/07/07, 247 Posts, 4792 Comments

thanks for all the thoughtful comments. some more playing with contrasts may be warranted ... thanks again.

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

"one's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things" - henry miller

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Stuart Williams Gallery of Stuart Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 02/09/13 at 11:23 am EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments

Stuart, I wish I could offer up ideas for improvement, but I've never worked with B&W. However, I can say I like the image and might work with some of the offered up suggestions of others to see how things look in general. Obviously the composition is there and that I can at least comment positively on as a very nice winter scene.

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Morris McClung on 02/10/13 at 12:52 pm EST    
Registered on 05/07/07, 670 Posts, 19650 Comments

Well, this has the usual SW mastery over B&W tonal development. I do prefer more contrast, but that's all that is, personal preference. So, when I see b&w's like this, is continues to educate me to the possiblities of subtlety. Something I have never been accused of. I also like the journey for my eye your comp gives. Very well done.

Morris McClung
Parker, Colorado

Website

"If it is more than 6 feet from the car, it is not photogenic." Edward Weston to Ansel Adams

“He who works with his hands is a laborer.
He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman.
He who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist.”

¯ St. Francis of Assisi

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Morris McClung Gallery of Morris McClung

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership