Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

JYPAMH 88
Photo posted by Stuart Williams in the Man & Fauna gallery on 12/01/12 at 07:28 am EST
Registered on 12/07/07, 247 Posts, 4792 Comments

Wandering wildernesses is one of the reasons that we do this photography stuff - or at least it is for me. It is sometimes difficult to escape the "hand of man". People seem to have an irresistible urge to leave their mark wherever they go. In 1988, I assume, someone carved some letters - perhaps in declaration of adoration for someone else - on the trunk of this massive beech tree somewhere deep in the woodlands in the Lesser Caucasus of the Republic of Georgia (where I was in April/Map this year). However, the backlit spring leaves and atmosphere of the woodland made for some special light.

Thanks for looking; the L A R G E R version should be viewed for added detail!

Hasselblad 500C/M, 150mm lens, tripod, Ilford Delta 100 b&w film.

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

"one's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things" - henry miller

NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Stuart Williams Gallery of Stuart Williams
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Scott Fricke on 12/01/12 at 1:24 pm EST    
Registered on 01/19/07, 133 Posts, 1448 Comments

The larger version really does show off the great detail in the tree and forest. I agree Stuart, it is perplexing what goes on in some peoples minds that they would deface something for their own vanity. It's interesting though how that perception can shift over time. There is a National Monument in New Mexico called El Morro which has some Anasazi ruins dating back to around the 1200's but also features a large rock monolith with a spring-fed pool at its base that has petroglyphs and pictographs carved into the rock starting over a thousand years ago, then when the Spanish first explored the area in the 1500's they left their names and dates on the wall, followed by US Army explorers, and settlers after them. The same kind of graffiti etched into this tree is now considered a national landmark because of how it depicts the history of the various peoples that passed through the area.

That being said, in this day and age people should have more respect and not do this...

Scott Fricke
Denver, Colorado
www.frickephotography.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Scott Fricke Gallery of Scott Fricke

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Carl Battreall on 12/03/12 at 12:30 am EST    
Registered on 08/29/07, 24 Posts, 222 Comments

We recently had someone spray paint the OM symbol on trees through the woods, obviously they had know idea what the symbol means (Its a Hindu symbol). I don't understand people, though usually its youth and I must say did some stupid things when I was a teenager.

www.photographalaska.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Carl Battreall Gallery of Carl Battreall

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Adam Smith on 12/31/12 at 7:53 pm EST    
Registered on 11/21/12, 16 Posts, 107 Comments

I agree, but I do believe that the initials and such adds to the story of such an image. Why people do it is beyond me. I assume it has to do with they want to be remembered. But, this is a great image and does a great job of showing the details of the forest in which this was found.

Adam Smith
heartlandshots.com
"Like a dance, we lead with our eyes and capture with our heart, that is photography."

All Photos and Comments by Adam Smith

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership