Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

December 2012 GOTM
Photo posted by Stuart Williams in the Gallery of the Month gallery on 11/20/12 at 09:41 am EST
Registered on 12/07/07, 247 Posts, 4792 Comments
Post last edited by Jim Erhardt on 12/02/12 at 09:47 am EST

snail on leaf

original title, i'd reckon. check out the L A R G E R version for details.

i've commented occasionally and have loved much of what i've seen but my lack of photographic productivity has dissuaded me from posting anything for a while ... busy times here in uganda.

anyway, here's a snail on a large leaf in mt elgon national park in eastern uganda, just after a heavy shower of rain. she/he/it/hermaphrodite thing was fairly cooperative and didn't budge too much in the 1s exposure.

thanks for looking. hope you enjoy but let me know your thoughts.

thanks.

hasselblad 500c/m, 32mm extension tube, 150mm lens, b&w film.

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

"one's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things" - henry miller

NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Stuart Williams Gallery of Stuart Williams
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Youssef Ismail on 11/20/12 at 11:49 am EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 474 Posts, 5555 Comments

Brilliant photo Stuart. At first from the thumbnail I thought the little spot would be like a frog silhouette from behind the leaf, but this was a great surprise. I love the detail in the snail shell and that you presented this as a B&W, great choice.

Sincerely,
Youssef Ismail - Los Gatos, CA
Organic Light Photography
Organic Light Pan - Web Journal
NPN 1234

See the world in a new light ...
...Organic Light!

------
   Follow Me on Twitter
Become a Fan on Facebook
If you contemplate the sublimity of The Sublime then all suspicion will sublimate into certainty about what you are seeing and what you saw and what you will see. The fog of illusion will then vanish and only Reality will remain without any doubt or suspicion.

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Youssef Ismail Gallery of Youssef Ismail

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 11/20/12 at 12:12 pm EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

I love the tonal range and detail and of course the tiny snail adds a lot of interest. Large view is a "must see". Beautiful B&W film image Stuart.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stan Rose on 11/20/12 at 1:20 pm EST    
Registered on 09/15/05, 836 Posts, 17099 Comments

This is AWESOME! Kind of allegorical...
I posted the B&W BTW

Stan Rose
Pueblo, Colorado
stanroseimages.com
New! Weather Forecasting for Photographers
[url=http://www.stanroseimages.com/product/weather_for_photographers/]EBook[/url]

All Photos and Comments by Stan Rose

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 11/20/12 at 1:26 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Stuart,

Great to see an image from you. This is simply awesome! Now, a very big leaf? or a very small snail? I can't figure out which. Almost tempted to put this in Macro.... Really though, this is simply outstanding. Not only a great image, but a fabulous nature story. Incredible work - thank you for sharing this one. Hope to see more when you get a chance!

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nathan Apodaca on 11/20/12 at 2:12 pm EST    
Registered on 11/16/11, 67 Posts, 1127 Comments

This is incredible! The slight 'grainy' effect makes this look like a drawing (a very good one, at that)... The comp is perfect, and I love the pose of the little guy...

All Photos and Comments by Nathan Apodaca

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John&Patty Benway on 11/20/12 at 2:43 pm EST    
Registered on 05/12/06, 626 Posts, 8700 Comments

This works beautifully Stuart, excellent detail,even on the little snail. Very nice.
John

John & Patty Benway
Northeast Streams & Forest

Portraits Of Nature
Intimate part of a whole seldom ever seen for itself, only a part of a whole, sometimes, most times chaotic, but still the foundation of its larger part, and for its beauty and purpose should be seen and not overlooked.
J Benway

All Photos and Comments by John&Patty Benway

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stuart Williams on 11/20/12 at 3:18 pm EST    

thanks to all!

actually, youssef, i was drawn to the light in the leaf and it did cross my mind that a little tree frog would be great - only to find this guy/gal/hermaphrodite thing here.

lon - yes, big leaf - very big leaf - and Mr/Mrs Average Snail. i should get a little opportunity to put up a few other images in coming weeks ... but will be planning on putting together another annual portfolio pdf early next year ...

thanks eva, stan, nathan and john&patty as well!

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

"one's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things" - henry miller

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Stuart Williams Gallery of Stuart Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Karsten Wrobel on 11/20/12 at 3:39 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/08, 117 Posts, 851 Comments

absolutely stunning, Stuart... masterfully simple comp... and what crazy proportions...

Karsten Wrobel
Munich, Germany

All Photos and Comments by Karsten Wrobel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nancy Lea Sandy on 11/20/12 at 5:29 pm EST    
Registered on 01/24/11, 576 Posts, 6942 Comments

this is wonderful. looks like the little guy is climbing a never-ending stairway. nice job

All Photos and Comments by Nancy Lea Sandy

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Morris McClung on 11/20/12 at 6:25 pm EST    
Registered on 05/07/07, 670 Posts, 19650 Comments

The tonality is reminiscent of work from the 50's, and totally cool. I really like all the grey in this as drama is not necessary to tell this story. Poor little snail, it's life is one hill after another. Hmm, kind of like ours. Probably not a landscape image per se, but it is pure art!

Morris McClung
Parker, Colorado

Website

"If it is more than 6 feet from the car, it is not photogenic." Edward Weston to Ansel Adams

“He who works with his hands is a laborer.
He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman.
He who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist.”

¯ St. Francis of Assisi

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Morris McClung Gallery of Morris McClung

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stuart Williams on 11/20/12 at 9:30 pm EST    

thanks morris. it's always a dilemma where to stick these images - wildlife wouldn't have it (they're mostly into fluffy things), nor flora (they're into flowery prints). it's not really macro (heck, we're looking at 18" from corner to corner diagonally here). and certainly the folks from RMNP wouldn't have it). So it was dropped in here, where it and I feel at home! And apologies to all for stereotyping ....

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Stuart Williams Gallery of Stuart Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Tony Kuyper on 11/20/12 at 10:40 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 364 Posts, 22328 Comments

Earth, Sea, and Sky Not, but I love how that snail appears to be navigating a different kind of landscape. What an eye to see and capture this!

Tony Kuyper
Luminosity Masks and other tutorials

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Tony Kuyper Gallery of Tony Kuyper

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Rudy Ruberti on 11/20/12 at 11:22 pm EST    
Registered on 10/28/08, 179 Posts, 1875 Comments

Great b&w image! The perfectly placed gastropod really makes this special.

Rudy Ruberti
Simi Valley, CA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Rudy Ruberti Gallery of Rudy Ruberti

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Chris Chamberlain on 11/21/12 at 12:36 am EST    
Registered on 03/13/07, 500 Posts, 8365 Comments

Awesome! Excellent in every regard!!!

CHris

Chris Chamberlain
Vacaville, CA. 95688

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Chris Chamberlain Gallery of Chris Chamberlain

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by David Chauvin on 11/21/12 at 06:34 am EST    
Registered on 08/05/04, 1007 Posts, 5595 Comments

I have to echo Youssef's comment,,,,,BRILLIANT! Even though it is small the snail commands full attention before exploring the beautiful textures and tones in the leaf and the square comp is perfect. A simply wonderful image!

David Chauvin
South Louisiana
"Thunder don't wet the ground" -unattributed

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by David Chauvin Gallery of David Chauvin

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 11/21/12 at 12:26 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Wow!...this is fantastic, Stuart. Excellent work on this comp and I'm really enjoying the look of this b/w film along with the amazing detail and texture! Beautiful work!

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership