Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

veratrum spring
Photo posted by Stuart Williams in the Landscape gallery on 08/02/12 at 04:14 am EST
Registered on 12/07/07, 247 Posts, 4792 Comments

if, like me, you spend all your time away from temperate regions of the world, you might wonder, as i did, what veratrum looked like except when viewed from above. in fact, this is a coincidental and timely post - given bret's image in the landscape gallery. except for images - such as his - taken looking vertically down at these plants, i had no idea what they looked like. so when my plantsman buddy, with whom i explored the caucasus ranges of georgia (the country), told me that veraturm would be emerging while we were there, i was excited to see these iconic plants. and here they are, as they appeared in a wood near the tskhratskaro pass and the ktsia-tabatskuri managed reserve‎ above bakuriani.

and while i did, i admit, make a couple of exposures looking down on these plants, i wanted an image with a different perspective - showing the plants in context.

on top of this, using a 6x6 (or 2 1/2 x 2 1/2) film camera, one has the opportunity occasionally to compose images with the camera at a diagonal.

so, i reckon, two changes of perspective. see the L A R G E R version - the small version here is very small. you thoughts on this?

hasselblad 500c/m
50mm lens
delta 100 b&w film

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

"one's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things" - henry miller

NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Stuart Williams Gallery of Stuart Williams
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by David Edwards on 08/02/12 at 06:08 am EST    
Registered on 12/06/08, 142 Posts, 2623 Comments

I really like the way you've arranged the plants in the diagonal frame Stuart. The plants are so symmetrical in the frame that it feels like the bg tree should be right in the center rather than off to the right. But that's only a minor point to an otherwise very interesting image. The two fg plants almost feel like they are popping out of the frame. I like this one a lot and can see it making a very nice canvas print.

David Edwards
Radiant Sky Photo
Brisbane, Australia

All Photos and Comments by David Edwards

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stuart Williams on 08/02/12 at 07:24 am EST    

david - i take your point about the tree - that's the way it was - a leaning tree. maybe it adds tension, at best?!

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

"one's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things" - henry miller

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Stuart Williams Gallery of Stuart Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nancy Lea Sandy on 08/02/12 at 08:09 am EST    
Registered on 01/24/11, 576 Posts, 6942 Comments

I love the framing and your choice of b&w. Both add drama to the scene and make this a pretty special image. Excellent composition.

All Photos and Comments by Nancy Lea Sandy

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Tony Kuyper on 08/02/12 at 09:30 am EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 364 Posts, 22328 Comments

Unique and very beautiful. This perspective is refreshing and most enjoyable.

Tony Kuyper
Luminosity Masks and other tutorials

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Tony Kuyper Gallery of Tony Kuyper

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bret Edge on 08/02/12 at 10:31 am EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 711 Posts, 6363 Comments

Beautiful black and white image, Stuart. Lovely tones throughout the image. I like the leaning tree in the background. I'm not a huge fan of the diamond frame but it does force the eye through the frame nicely.

Bret Edge
Private and Group Photography Workshops in Moab, Utah
eFotoGuide: The Ultimate Guides to Photographing the National Parks
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bret Edge Gallery of Bret Edge

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 08/02/12 at 1:29 pm EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

Now that you mention it, I don't think I have seen a side view of these plants either. I like your unique perspective Stuart and of course the B&W.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Karsten Wrobel on 08/02/12 at 2:27 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/08, 117 Posts, 851 Comments

Stuart, I like your choice of showing these plants in their surroundings and the comp including the bg tree... the diagonal frame is unusual but does not really work for me personally...
looking forward to more images from that part of the world...

Karsten Wrobel
Munich, Germany

All Photos and Comments by Karsten Wrobel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ant on 08/02/12 at 4:19 pm EST    
Registered on 04/13/09, 27 Posts, 474 Comments

I like it a lot. I like the (unusual) diagonal view, the black&white and the tree that breaks the symmetry. Maybe, maybe, just to be picky, I find less mice the chopped veratrum at the two lateral corners... but not much that could be done, I suppose.

Antonello

Antonello Provenzale, Italy

All Photos and Comments by Ant

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Hackley on 08/02/12 at 4:50 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/09, 302 Posts, 5535 Comments

A wonderful B&W image with the plants making a strong foreground element leading to the darker tree. I struggle with the diagonal presentation but the scene itself is very nice. I have always enjoyed your unique B&W images.

Jim Hackley
Prescott, AZ

All Photos and Comments by Jim Hackley

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 08/02/12 at 7:41 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments
Comment last edited by Nick Bristol on 08/02/12 at 7:41 pm EST

What an interesting, and different view! The b/w looks fantastic and I love the scene. I'm not quite sure about the diagonal view... Have to look at it for awhile yet! Anyways, it is excellent work.

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ken Smith on 08/02/12 at 9:02 pm EST    
Registered on 09/05/08, 449 Posts, 2444 Comments

This holds my attention beyond the usual at this site. Well done! The cropping delivers a composition stunningly well balanced. Of course b/w allows us to enjoy the forms, depth and textures without the sceech of color. There is a slight bit of grit or ash prolific in the veraturm and even in the other foliage which adds interest, imho.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ken Smith Gallery of Ken Smith

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Aaron Feinberg on 08/02/12 at 10:08 pm EST    
Registered on 10/26/09, 399 Posts, 2789 Comments

Way to...think outside...the box ;)

"You never know how you look through other people's eyes"    
aFeinberg Gallery
Princeville • Poipu

aFeinPhoto
Facebook
IG

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Aaron Feinberg Gallery of Aaron Feinberg

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stuart Williams on 08/03/12 at 02:01 am EST    

thanks to all - i see that the diamond framing is causing a little division of opinion. that's good, i think. thanks again.

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Stuart Williams Gallery of Stuart Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dietrich Gloger on 08/03/12 at 10:29 am EST    
Registered on 01/26/07, 360 Posts, 9876 Comments

Ok, the composition is excellent. Every detail, every leaf and every trunk looks deliberately placed and serves a purpose. Very, very well done as usual.
The diamond framing is a bit difficult for me. I do not find it to be easy on the eye. It draws a lot of attention. I do think it fits to the composition however.

Dietrich ("Didl") Gloger, Linz-Vienna, Austria.
Wista DX, 4x5", Provia and Velvia.
Canon EOS 5D,
EF 24-105mm; EF 70-200mm IS; TS-E 45mm;
www.dietrichgloger.at

All Photos and Comments by Dietrich Gloger

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stuart Williams on 08/03/12 at 11:14 am EST    

thanks didl. actually, of the few times i have opted for a diamond framing, this, i think, is the least effective. when the dust has settled on this one, i may upload another to challenge perspectives ... i appreciate the comments.

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Williams on 08/03/12 at 3:07 pm EST    
Registered on 09/06/07, 221 Posts, 5985 Comments

Such fantastic detail; it really sings in this broad view. I love close-ups(I just posted one), but have a definite preference for the broader view when done well. I don't think the diamond frame will ever be a favorite of mine, but it is a refreshing variation from the norm.

John Williams
www.tranquilviews.com
Battle Ground, WA
I often have wandered in deep contemplation, It seems that the mind runs wild when you're all alone. -John Denver

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Williams Gallery of John Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Caldwell on 08/03/12 at 6:12 pm EST    
Registered on 10/10/11, 62 Posts, 508 Comments

Really nice B&W image, you can really see the ridges in the plant and I like that diamond framing.

Bill Caldwell
Alexander, ME

All Photos and Comments by Bill Caldwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 08/05/12 at 9:25 pm EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments

I love your choice of perspective, which allows me to study these plants up close and at the same time tells me about the surrounding environment. Its very hard to pull this off in such artistic fashion.

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership