Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Lotus II
Photo posted by Gary Yeoh in the Flora gallery on 06/13/12 at 04:58 am EST
Registered on 09/01/09, 588 Posts, 8184 Comments
Post last edited by Gary Yeoh on 07/16/12 at 8:23 pm EST

Same lotus as the previous post but looking from top down to show the radial symmetry of the center.

GE mammo 26kV double processed CS5, LR5. Doutone.

Thanks for your comments on the previous. Please let me know if you think this is exhibition material.

Gary Yeoh
Hong Kong

The Mystical Garden Project

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Gary Yeoh Gallery of Gary Yeoh
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Patricia Brundage on 06/13/12 at 06:12 am EST    
Registered on 03/23/06, 1111 Posts, 6531 Comments

Hope your taking care to stay safe with all this radiation! Another lovely composition and end result, but I perfer the previous post if you have to choose. Take care.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Patricia Brundage Gallery of Patricia Brundage

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Yiming Hu on 06/13/12 at 06:43 am EST    
Registered on 04/28/11, 38 Posts, 733 Comments

What a beauty! Very elegant. Your images are always inspirational, Gary.

Yiming Hu
Mason, Ohio
http://www.majestic-nature.com
   Flickr

Personal Website    Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Yiming Hu Gallery of Yiming Hu

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Wayne Jones on 06/13/12 at 10:54 am EST    
Registered on 04/18/07, 953 Posts, 6435 Comments

Gary, I have not visited the Flora gallery enough lately, so I am just catching up. My, how lovely these X-rays are. In addition to the obvious compositional merits, level of detail, and striking luminosity, I am impressed by your processing and color treatments, which adds a less obvious, but important level of beauty.

Wayne Jones
Upstate New York

The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the composer; but when the last individual of a race of living beings breathes no more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be again. William Beebe, 1906

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Wayne Jones Gallery of Wayne Jones

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lorna Taylor on 06/13/12 at 10:59 am EST    
Registered on 11/12/10, 254 Posts, 3083 Comments

Just spectacular !!

WWW.Taylorimages.ca
http://www.flickr.com/
Alberta, Canada

All Photos and Comments by Lorna Taylor

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nathan Buck on 06/13/12 at 11:26 am EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 1101 Posts, 13589 Comments

I love the dynamic feel of this image Gary. The fact that the petals feel to be going different directions works for me. I love the lines of the veins in the petals, especially with them over the denseness of the center. Overall, this works really well for me. I see most of your floragraphs as exhibition material.

Nathan

Nathan Buck
Lehi, UT, USA
NPN 1118

Brutal honesty encouraged and appreciated in critiquing! Thank you.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nathan Buck Gallery of Nathan Buck

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nathan Buck on 06/13/12 at 11:46 am EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 1101 Posts, 13589 Comments

One more thought Gary. I scrolled down the first page of floral images, and if I compare even just the thumbnail of this image to your Bok Choy image, this one feels a lot more dynamic to me. Of all of your floragraphs, I see the bok choy as one of the weaker ones.

Nathan

Nathan Buck
Lehi, UT, USA
NPN 1118

Brutal honesty encouraged and appreciated in critiquing! Thank you.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nathan Buck Gallery of Nathan Buck

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 06/13/12 at 7:35 pm EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

I agree with all of the previous comments - that is, I like this one very much and I think it is definitely exhibition worthy, but I also agree with Patricia that, if it comes down to Lotus I vs Lotus II, I'd go with Lotus I. I do like the interesting center in this version, with all the circles, and the lines radiating out from the center. Very elegant as well. They would look fine side by side. And, notwithstanding my Lotus I comment about the elegance of the floral radiographs vs vegetables, I'd include a nice variety, including vegetables and leafy radiographs.

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Gary Yeoh on 06/13/12 at 9:15 pm EST    
Registered on 09/01/09, 588 Posts, 8184 Comments
Comment last edited by Gary Yeoh on 06/13/12 at 9:23 pm EST

Thanks everyone for your comments.

@Patricia - Thank you for your concern about my health. I am mindful of the radiation and make sure I am behind the protective screen before exposure. Luckily the mammography machine emits the lowest radiation of all the machines in the radiology department. As an aside, all the proceed from the exhibition sales will be donated to the Hong Kong Breast Cancer Foundation. I would like to encourage all women to avail themselves to regular breast screening mammography.

@Wayne - I am still experimenting with the toning of the floragraph. Most of my floragraphs are monotone (cyanophilic like the xray films used in the past) and this is the first duotone ones. I kind of like the duotone which tends to give the image some depth and increase shadowing effect.

@Scott - The exhibition is a solo exhibit and I have some lee way on how many images to put up. Yes, it would be nice to put the two lotuses side by side. I would also include more common subjects such as vegetables and leaves and also banana

Gary Yeoh
Hong Kong

The Mystical Garden Project

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Gary Yeoh Gallery of Gary Yeoh

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ramamohan Pai on 06/13/12 at 9:53 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 550 Posts, 9037 Comments

Gary - Wow...Looks like brilliant burst of fireworks. Loads and Loads of minute details are well seen. Toning is also excellent.

While I think this is exhibition material, I do believe one will need to judge from the quality of prints. As long as your print looks as vibrant and loaded with detail as this small picture shows, put it up on the wall.

Ram
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

All Photos and Comments by Ramamohan Pai

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Tonia Graves on 06/13/12 at 11:36 pm EST    
Registered on 10/29/11, 92 Posts, 1035 Comments

This is stunning! Personally if I had to choose between the two lotus images, I would choose this one. The center of the plant is interesting and holds the eye. I really like the soft form of the petals also. Awesome work!

Tonia L. Graves
Tucson, AZ

All Photos and Comments by Tonia Graves

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Rob Graham on 06/14/12 at 12:02 am EST    
Registered on 08/22/06, 842 Posts, 2824 Comments

Both of your Lotus images are beautiful, Gary. I favor the composition of the first though. The duotone look here is different, and does add the depth you mentioned. I am still partial to blue radiographs though :). You manage to both capture all the fine detail and keep it while processing your images. Beautiful work.

Rob Graham
Kansas, USA
Facebook
Website

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Rob Graham Gallery of Rob Graham

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Catherine Reilly on 06/14/12 at 4:16 pm EST    
Registered on 08/16/06, 603 Posts, 9192 Comments

I love the work you're creating with this method, Gary. Not sure this is one of the strongest, though. Maybe it's just me... That some of the petals are so far off the edge is one of the things I noticed that I wonder about. If you're emphasizing the flower's center, perhaps a different crop?

Catherine Reilly
Seattle, WA
Ad lucem quam inhabitas--
To the light wherein Thou doest dwell

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Catherine Reilly Gallery of Catherine Reilly

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Howard Cheek on 06/14/12 at 7:07 pm EST    
Registered on 07/24/08, 1201 Posts, 10758 Comments

What can I say that the others haven't..It's an impossible task
Very obvious that this is a labor of love, beautiful work!

Howard Cheek
Kempner, TX

"Look deep, deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better" ~ Albert Einstein

HowardCheekPhotography.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Howard Cheek Gallery of Howard Cheek

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership