Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Planet Suite
Photo posted by Ian Cameron in the Landscape gallery on 05/16/12 at 7:48 pm EST
Registered on 08/06/04, 1125 Posts, 3318 Comments
Post last edited by Jim Erhardt on 05/23/12 at 06:55 am EST

Polbain, Inverpolly, Scotland

Just back from the Lofoten Islands in Norway stunning place am awaiting film development, meantime I hope you enjoy this.

A stunning sunset over Polbain on the coast of Inverpolly overlooking the Summer Isles, slowly melted away. Despite the lack of cloud the extraordinary clarity of the twilit blue sky and the gorgeous colour gradient from midnight blue through to tangerine with the separated irregular islands in silhouette evoked a cosmic sense of well being and grandeur further supplemented by the suite of planets, namely Venus, Jupiter and our own crescent moon.

Please view LARGE...

Pentax 67II, 45mm lens, 0.6ND Reverse Grad, with inverted 0.3ND grad to make a pseudo 1 stop ND reverse grad to horizon, f5.6 at 4 Seconds to minimise movement of planets / moon, Fuji Velvia.

Ian Cameron
Transient Light

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Ian Cameron Gallery of Ian Cameron
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 05/16/12 at 7:59 pm EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments
Comment last edited by Eva McDermott on 05/16/12 at 8:00 pm EST

Absolutely gorgeous Ian. Not much else to say....... except I love scenes like this with their simple and quiet beauty. Can't wait to see your Norway images.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Fan on 05/16/12 at 9:31 pm EST    
Registered on 08/24/10, 135 Posts, 489 Comments

The smooth color gradient is very pleasing.

John Fan
Chicago, IL
http://johnfanphotography.com
[url]http://4aperture.com[/url]
Your feedback is sincerely appreciated.

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Fan Gallery of John Fan

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Youssef Ismail on 05/16/12 at 11:26 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 474 Posts, 5555 Comments

Ian,

Just outstanding photo. Right up my alley and you executed this very well. For what ever reason, as you were there, you placed the moon and planets on the right of the frame. I would have placed them on the left, but that is just me. I still love this.

Sincerely,
Youssef Ismail - Los Gatos, CA
Organic Light Photography
Organic Light Pan - Web Journal
NPN 1234

See the world in a new light ...
...Organic Light!

------
   Follow Me on Twitter
Become a Fan on Facebook
If you contemplate the sublimity of The Sublime then all suspicion will sublimate into certainty about what you are seeing and what you saw and what you will see. The fog of illusion will then vanish and only Reality will remain without any doubt or suspicion.

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Youssef Ismail Gallery of Youssef Ismail

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nancy Lea Sandy on 05/17/12 at 09:36 am EST    
Registered on 01/24/11, 576 Posts, 6942 Comments

subtle and alluring. This has a very quiet mood.

All Photos and Comments by Nancy Lea Sandy

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Westerbeck on 05/17/12 at 10:04 am EST    
Registered on 03/21/12, 32 Posts, 111 Comments

The color variations and the simplicity of this shot are wonderful Ian! Very nice capture

Michael Westerbeck
Lynnwood, Washington

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Westerbeck Gallery of Michael Westerbeck

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 05/17/12 at 10:28 am EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

Beautiful Ian. I don't know what the temp was when to shot this, but the bottom looks very cold to me (beautiful, but cold). Very, very nice.

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ian Cameron on 05/17/12 at 12:17 pm EST    

Hi Bill

It was certainly pretty crisp but also totally windless so no wind chill concerns. My overwhelming memory though was just how staggeringly clear it was that particular evening.

Ian Cameron
Transient Light

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ian Cameron Gallery of Ian Cameron

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Hackley on 05/17/12 at 3:00 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/09, 302 Posts, 5535 Comments

Beautiful, I really like the wonderful color transition from water to sky and the placement of moon/stars. The larger image was a pleasure to view. Well seen and well done.

Jim Hackley
Prescott, AZ

All Photos and Comments by Jim Hackley

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 05/17/12 at 4:50 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Ian,

I'm always a sucker for twilight colors. You've done a fantastic job with managing space and of course the crescent moon always "shines" in these compositions. Well done.

I almost wouldn't mind letting the island formations just go all the way to black. very minor, but they almost have a little cloudy look. No biggie.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ian Cameron on 05/17/12 at 5:29 pm EST    

Hi Loni It's actually sea spray it was a really rough sea yet it all looks so calm and placid from up here. very odd but if you look half way up the slope in the bottom right corner the sea spray/mist actually peters out and the land becomes almost clear and is nearly in silhouette. Creatively I could be persuaded to dim the islands down to black.

Ian Cameron
Transient Light

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ian Cameron Gallery of Ian Cameron

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 05/20/12 at 7:32 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Beautiful! What an awesome mood!

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jorne de Bruin on 05/22/12 at 05:42 am EST    
Registered on 06/26/08, 178 Posts, 2136 Comments

Love the feeling of space and serenity, looking forward to the images from Norway!

Have a look at my website for more images or follow me on:

Facebook

[url=http://500px.com/JornedeBruin/photos]500px[/url]

[url=https://twitter.com/#!/JornedeBruin]Twitter[/url]

Jorne de Bruin
Nieuwegein,
The Netherlands

All Photos and Comments by Jorne de Bruin

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kris Johnson on 05/23/12 at 02:50 am EST    
Registered on 03/06/10, 26 Posts, 299 Comments

Beautiful shot. Very deserving of Velvias palate.

Kris Johnson
Rogers, Arkansas

University of Arkansas
Bachelor of Fine Arts 2014
Bachelor of Arts: Journalism 2014

All Photos and Comments by Kris Johnson

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Catherine Reilly on 05/23/12 at 2:46 pm EST    
Registered on 08/16/06, 603 Posts, 9192 Comments

Whoa! Ian! This is so dramatic and painterly. The strong violet in the sky is really something. Masterful comp, as always. Your description says very well in words what the image conveys. Couldn't agree more. Congrats on the Pick!

Catherine Reilly
Seattle, WA
Ad lucem quam inhabitas--
To the light wherein Thou doest dwell

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Catherine Reilly Gallery of Catherine Reilly

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership