Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

logjam
Photo posted by Stuart Williams in the Landscape gallery on 03/15/12 at 05:25 am EST
Registered on 12/07/07, 247 Posts, 4792 Comments

found among the rocks on the banks of the ewaso ng'iro river - left jammed following floods from late last year.

thanks for looking - in fact, happy to give you something to look at! let me know your thoughts!

hasselblad 500c/m, 80mm lens, tripod.

sabuk, central kenya.

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

"one's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things" - henry miller

NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Stuart Williams Gallery of Stuart Williams
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Peter Cross on 03/15/12 at 12:16 pm EST    
Registered on 04/03/10, 271 Posts, 1342 Comments

My first thought on this was: Ouch. Don't know why as everything here is inanimate. Nice comp with conflicting lines, nice tonal array, and plenty of fine detail I wonder if a sllght darkening of the rock on the left would make this stronger as it seems to pull my eye there and I don't think thst was you intention.

Peter Cross
Carmichael, CA
"To keep every cog and wheel is the first precaution of intelligent tinkering." Aldo Leopold, 1949. A Sand County Almanac, with essays on conservation from Round River

All Photos and Comments by Peter Cross

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 03/15/12 at 12:21 pm EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

Wonderful tones and textures Stuart. I like all the intricate detail in the rocks and shadows. Not sure, but I might be tempted to bring the highlights in the upper left just a tad.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Vance Gese on 03/15/12 at 1:08 pm EST    
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments

The textures and details are amazing and I love the abrupt angles of the log set against the nice dark tones. Love it.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 03/15/12 at 2:19 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

What I really like is the wonderful detail and texture you have here, Stuart. Those are quite impressive to me. I also think you came up with a very interesting comp.

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Morris McClung on 03/15/12 at 4:57 pm EST    
Registered on 05/07/07, 670 Posts, 19650 Comments

Hmmm, could be a metaphor for my art right now. A little stuck. And, I feel a little like that log looks right now.
Now, both of us are just waiting for that big push!
I like the angles, lines, textures, and tones in this.

Morris McClung
Parker, Colorado

Website

"If it is more than 6 feet from the car, it is not photogenic." Edward Weston to Ansel Adams

“He who works with his hands is a laborer.
He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman.
He who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist.”

¯ St. Francis of Assisi

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Morris McClung Gallery of Morris McClung

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Rodrigo Sandoval on 03/15/12 at 5:24 pm EST    
Registered on 04/04/09, 13 Posts, 254 Comments

Strange but very strong composition. Actually I like it more each time a see it. I like B&W and the textures, but would add a bit more contrast.

Rodrigo Sandoval
Nature & Adventure Photography in Chile
www.RodrigoSandoval.com

All Photos and Comments by Rodrigo Sandoval

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 03/15/12 at 9:21 pm EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments
Comment last edited by Anil Rao on 03/15/12 at 9:21 pm EST

A fantastic image with a bold composition and a the wide range of tones to go with it.

Just the type of photography I enjoy.

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stuart Williams on 03/16/12 at 03:14 am EST    
Registered on 12/07/07, 247 Posts, 4792 Comments

thanks to all - i might just try out some of the suggestions!

i thought that this may appeal to you anil!

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

"one's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things" - henry miller

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Stuart Williams Gallery of Stuart Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Peter Richter on 03/17/12 at 06:46 am EST    
Registered on 11/10/10, 218 Posts, 2723 Comments

Stuart, it is amazing to me how the different textures counteract and complement each other. A creative image for me and I especially apprecitae the kind of tension in your composition.

Peter

Peter Richter
Vienna, Austria

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Peter Richter Gallery of Peter Richter

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership