Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

stoculia stands proud
Photo posted by Stuart Williams in the Landscape gallery on 02/29/12 at 03:46 am EST
Registered on 12/07/07, 247 Posts, 4792 Comments

Skip straight to the L A R G E image ...!

among my travels in the last few months and as part of the move that took us from mozambique to uganda, i drove my car from maputo to kampala! while i had to reach kampala, the journey was the destination, nine days and over five thousand km of meditation on things past and future. i infrequently stopped to make images but quite of chunk of the journey was through stoculia and boabab country. i have a few images of those trees; i found it exceedingly difficult to make photographs of them - not least because I had to keep one eye on the road ... however, this is one scene including a stoculia tree that caught my eye. it is from a very remote and forgotten area of southern tanzania, made standing on the top of my vehicle ...

thanks for looking! thoughts welcome.

hasselblad 500 c/m, 150mm lens, handheld, ilford delta 100 b&w film.

somewhere in southern tanzania.

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

"one's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things" - henry miller

NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Stuart Williams Gallery of Stuart Williams
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Aaron Feinberg on 02/29/12 at 06:20 am EST    
Registered on 10/26/09, 399 Posts, 2789 Comments

The tones and light in this are perfect. Great shot...from somewhere in tanzania ;)

aF

"You never know how you look through other people's eyes"    
aFeinberg Gallery
Princeville • Poipu

aFeinPhoto
Facebook
IG

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Aaron Feinberg Gallery of Aaron Feinberg

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Abdullaziz Bin Ali on 02/29/12 at 06:44 am EST    
Registered on 05/31/09, 112 Posts, 1590 Comments

I just love this Black & White

Abdullaziz Bin Ali
www.abinali.com
United Arab Emirates - Sharjah
   Let your life talk
[url=http://www.facebook.com/pages/Abdullaziz-BinAli-%D8%B9%D8%A8%D8%AF%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%B9%D8%B2%D9%8A%D8%B2-%D8%A8%D9%86-%D8%B9%D9%84%D9%8A/103854719668376]FOLLOW ME ON FACEBOOK[/url]

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Abdullaziz Bin Ali Gallery of Abdullaziz Bin Ali

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jorne de Bruin on 02/29/12 at 07:33 am EST    
Registered on 06/26/08, 178 Posts, 2136 Comments

Lovely shot, the tones and light are just great. The thumbnail really doens't do this any justice!

Have a look at my website for more images or follow me on:

Facebook

[url=http://500px.com/JornedeBruin/photos]500px[/url]

[url=https://twitter.com/#!/JornedeBruin]Twitter[/url]

Jorne de Bruin
Nieuwegein,
The Netherlands

All Photos and Comments by Jorne de Bruin

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Tonia Graves on 02/29/12 at 09:45 am EST    
Registered on 10/29/11, 92 Posts, 1035 Comments

Wonderful range of tones here. The side lighting on the main tree really makes it stand out from the rest of the forest.

Tonia L. Graves
Tucson, AZ

All Photos and Comments by Tonia Graves

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Hamed Musharbak on 02/29/12 at 10:00 am EST    
Registered on 06/01/09, 372 Posts, 2282 Comments

wonderful B&W

Hamed Musharbak
United Arab Emirates
take a "U" turn & be different

Hamed Musharbak

All Photos and Comments by Hamed Musharbak

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Gary Reed on 02/29/12 at 10:34 am EST    
Registered on 09/19/09, 198 Posts, 1074 Comments

Fantastic tone and detail. Love the side lighting. B/W - great decision.

All Photos and Comments by Gary Reed

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Daniel Rappaport on 02/29/12 at 10:45 am EST    
Registered on 09/09/09, 294 Posts, 2006 Comments

Beautifully done. Love the way you were able to frame the tree with the dark background.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Daniel Rappaport Gallery of Daniel Rappaport

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 02/29/12 at 12:00 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments
Comment last edited by Nick Bristol on 02/29/12 at 2:35 pm EST

Stuart, The large version of this is Fantastic!, and a must look IMO. For me this is one of the best b/w images I have seen in awhile, and there have been some real nice ones here! Beautiful work! I love it.

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Morris McClung on 02/29/12 at 12:16 pm EST    
Registered on 05/07/07, 670 Posts, 19650 Comments

A beautiful example of this film's dynamic range, Stuart. So many tones. Excellent comp and capture!

Morris McClung
Parker, Colorado

Website

"If it is more than 6 feet from the car, it is not photogenic." Edward Weston to Ansel Adams

“He who works with his hands is a laborer.
He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman.
He who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist.”

― St. Francis of Assisi

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Morris McClung Gallery of Morris McClung

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Guy Manning on 02/29/12 at 1:46 pm EST    
Registered on 10/17/11, 13 Posts, 44 Comments

The thumbnail looked muddy and confused but I went ahead and opened it. When I looked at the small version above I was disappointed because it appeared flat. I looked a bit closer and decided there might be some interesting detail in the large version, so I opened it.

I have to tell you this is the first time I have spent more than a few seconds studying an image on this forum. This one held me for over 5 minutes. The tonal range is magnificent in the larger version of the image. The details of the background kept me looking deeper into it. I love the low lying bushes above and to the right of the tree seem to caress the tree creating a sympathetic line with it. I also like the way the light in the upper left diffuses the distant rock faces.

There is an ancient quality to the way it is presented and the diffused light enhances the affect. This would make a stunning silver print, or even a platinum.

Guy Manning
http://lenslight-gallery.com
   See my blog. Lens, Light & Composition - What you didn't learn because you didn't go to art school. [url]http://guymanningphotography.wordpress.com[/url]
Beauty is a summation of the parts working together in such a way that nothing needed to be added, taken away or altered — ' Elio Carletti '

All Photos and Comments by Guy Manning

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 02/29/12 at 2:55 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

The tree is isolated very nicely in this image. Love all of the details in this. Processing is quite nice as well.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 02/29/12 at 3:53 pm EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

Wow, the large version really sings! Beautiful dynamic range and tones - composition is very nice as well. Excellent image!

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Tony Kuyper on 02/29/12 at 9:16 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 364 Posts, 22328 Comments

Really, really like this, except for the paw print. It's very complex, but my eye is enjoying exploring every pixel. The detail in the larger version exquisite.

Tony Kuyper
Luminosity Masks and other tutorials

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Tony Kuyper Gallery of Tony Kuyper

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stuart Williams on 03/01/12 at 12:07 am EST    
Registered on 12/07/07, 247 Posts, 4792 Comments

thanks to all for comments so far. guy, i am pleased that it captured your attention - as indeed it did mine.

thanks again.

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

"one's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things" - henry miller

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Stuart Williams Gallery of Stuart Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Zack Clothier on 03/01/12 at 01:07 am EST    
Registered on 01/28/10, 343 Posts, 2257 Comments

What a wonderful b&w image, nicely composed, this one has a lot to explore..larger version is great.

Zack Clothier
Silver Gate, Montana
Website

Follow Me On Facebook
500px

All Photos and Comments by Zack Clothier

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Gasior on 03/01/12 at 5:49 pm EST    
Registered on 03/07/10, 99 Posts, 502 Comments

Beautiful
Nice comp

All Photos and Comments by Paul Gasior

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stan Rose on 03/01/12 at 7:37 pm EST    
Registered on 09/15/05, 836 Posts, 17099 Comments

Sweet!! Did you notice the face-rock on the left side?

Stan Rose
Pueblo, Colorado
stanroseimages.com
New! Weather Forecasting for Photographers
[url=http://www.stanroseimages.com/product/weather_for_photographers/]EBook[/url]

All Photos and Comments by Stan Rose

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 03/02/12 at 11:56 am EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments

There is so much this photograph offers if one takes the time to study it carefully. I love how various details are slowly revealed. The light and tones are excellent and the composition is non-imposing just as I like. Wonderful!

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership