Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

sand between your toes
Photo posted by Stuart Williams in the Landscape gallery on 02/18/12 at 05:39 am EST
Registered on 12/07/07, 247 Posts, 4792 Comments

while this simple image may mean little to you, its is pretty evocative to me. it brings back great times over the past five-and-a-half years spent in mozambique - waves rushing up, sand and warm water swirling about one's toes ... and then retreating. the water, crystal clear, leaves traces in the sand.

thanks for looking; does it touch you? Stare at the L A R G E R version for a while ...

hasselblad 500c/m, 50mm lens, ilford delta 100 b&w film.

nuarro, baixo do pinda, mozambique

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

"one's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things" - henry miller

NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Stuart Williams Gallery of Stuart Williams
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Baumbach on 02/18/12 at 08:07 am EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 473 Posts, 7980 Comments

It definitely touches and moves me. The composition is beautiful. For my taste, I'd like it "printed" a little darker.

- Dan

--------------------
Dan Baumbach
http://www.timelesslight.com
[url]http://danbaumbach.wordpress.com[/url]

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Baumbach Gallery of Dan Baumbach

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 02/18/12 at 08:55 am EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Stuart, Yes...it touches me too. The large version is fantastic! I loved looking at it for awhile. Nice work.

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 02/18/12 at 09:20 am EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

I really like the motion this has captured Stuart. Works for me as is.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Morris McClung on 02/18/12 at 12:16 pm EST    
Registered on 05/07/07, 670 Posts, 19650 Comments

While I suspect your emotional attachment to this will be stronger because it is personal to you, it still translates much of what you said. The image and your words reveal the depth of feelings you have developed for Mozambique. The intimate quality of this demands introspection. Well done, as usual, Stuart. The only nit I have would be to crop or clone out the intruding rock at top left that pulls the eye just a touch and disrupts the flow of the returning wave.

Morris McClung
Parker, Colorado

Website

"If it is more than 6 feet from the car, it is not photogenic." Edward Weston to Ansel Adams

“He who works with his hands is a laborer.
He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman.
He who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist.”

¯ St. Francis of Assisi

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Morris McClung Gallery of Morris McClung

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stan Rose on 02/18/12 at 12:19 pm EST    
Registered on 09/15/05, 836 Posts, 17099 Comments

The top is a bit bright for me, otherwise this looks great! Love the little swirls in the mid section. FWIW, ordinarily im a nature purist, but when you mention 'toe', i think a footprint (or foot!) in this frame might have actually added something to the idea...just a thought

Stan Rose
Pueblo, Colorado
stanroseimages.com
New! Weather Forecasting for Photographers
[url=http://www.stanroseimages.com/product/weather_for_photographers/]EBook[/url]

All Photos and Comments by Stan Rose

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael J Greene, on 02/18/12 at 3:04 pm EST    
Registered on 06/18/09, 86 Posts, 2317 Comments

This is very pretty and original Stuart. I could see just adding a little bit of a vignette (or edge burning) to the top corners. I think this is a very artistic shot.

Michael

Michael Greene
Fine Art Wilderness Photography
"Classically Capturing the American Landscape"

http://wildmoments.net

Latest Blog: Photographing Slot Canyons 2012 [url]http://wildmoments.wordpress.com/ [/url]

"Even divine mercy will not act independently of human desire" Dr. Lamar Vest

All Photos and Comments by Michael J Greene,

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Tony Kuyper on 02/18/12 at 9:42 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 364 Posts, 22328 Comments

While it doesn't do all that much for me as my connection to the ocean is pretty limited, I can definitely relate to personal photographs that evoke personal emotions.

Tony Kuyper
Luminosity Masks and other tutorials

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Tony Kuyper Gallery of Tony Kuyper

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Peter Richter on 02/19/12 at 05:18 am EST    
Registered on 11/10/10, 218 Posts, 2723 Comments

Stuart, this is an exceptional shot that has got an almost abstract quality for me. The tangible textures in the foreground, the movement of the sea and the vanishing elements in the distance are really story telling to me. Furthermore, the composition is perfectly anchored by the rocks in my opinion.

Peter

Peter Richter
Vienna, Austria

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Peter Richter Gallery of Peter Richter

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Navin Sarma on 02/19/12 at 6:59 pm EST    
Registered on 07/17/11, 233 Posts, 1373 Comments

love it stuart, agree to maybe try and bring some detail/contrast to the very top

Navin Sarma
Washington, D.C.

website

All Photos and Comments by Navin Sarma

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Vance Gese on 02/19/12 at 8:37 pm EST    
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments

Love the range of tones, Stuart, your exquisite composition, and the nice water motion. What really bring your thought home to me is the subtle motion in the water and sand in the foreground. The large version is extraordinary.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership