Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

bouncing light
Photo posted by Stuart Williams in the POP Photos gallery on 02/15/12 at 02:48 am EST
Registered on 12/07/07, 247 Posts, 4792 Comments

ilha da mocambique is a small island of the coast of mozambique. it has a long history, having been a major arab trading port before it was visited by vasco da gama, the portuguese naval explorer, in 1498. the portuguese took over the island from the arabs, establishing a port and naval base in 1507. they also built a fort, São Sebastião, in the sixteenth century. the settlement remained the capital of portuguese east africa until 1898 and repelled the dutch who attacked the island in the early seventeenth century. the port was used as a trading port for slaves, spices, ivory and gold.

aware of the threat of a siege, the portuguese built this huge water tank within the fort. then, as now, it served as the main source of water for the tiny island - now inhabited by 14,000 people. i was struck by the tones and light that was bouncing about the room.

thanks for looking!

hasselblad 500c/m, 50mm lens, tripod, remote cable, ilford delta 100 b&w film, ~ 1 minute exposure.

ilha da mocambique, mozambique

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

"one's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things" - henry miller

NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Stuart Williams Gallery of Stuart Williams
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Carol Hyman on 02/15/12 at 2:15 pm EST    
Registered on 01/18/07, 597 Posts, 8062 Comments

Interesting cylindrical feeling to the center of the image. I almost feel as though my eyes are playing tricks on me.

Regards,

Carol

Carol Hyman

HY-TEC images
   Make the shot, don't just take the shot.

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Carol Hyman Gallery of Carol Hyman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Vance Gese on 02/16/12 at 12:23 pm EST    
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments

Love the strong symmetry and the ethereal quality of the light, Stuart. Fascinating and fantastic image.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership