Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

crocodile jaws I
Photo posted by Stuart Williams in the Landscape gallery on 02/10/12 at 09:30 am EST
Registered on 12/07/07, 247 Posts, 4792 Comments

the ewaso ng'iro river, as it passes sabuk in north-central kenya, it goes through a number of narrow passages through the rocks. this particular area goes by the lovely name of 'crocodile jaws' - a length of about half a mile of rock and churning water.

thanks for all the comments on my last post from kazakhstan (and yes, these images are being posted in a somewhat whimsical order rather than by some chronology ...) - let me know your thoughts on this too.

mamiya 7ii, 43mm lens, tripod, remote cable, ilford delta 100 b&w film.

sabuk, kenya

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

"one's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things" - henry miller

NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Stuart Williams Gallery of Stuart Williams
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Scott Smorra on 02/10/12 at 12:28 pm EST    
Registered on 11/02/09, 161 Posts, 2143 Comments

Very nice b/w image Stuart. I like how the water flows in a diagonal line through the image. Nice choice of shutter speed as well.

Scott Smorra
Portland, Oregon

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Scott Smorra Gallery of Scott Smorra

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Bullard on 02/10/12 at 1:37 pm EST    
Registered on 02/04/09, 30 Posts, 128 Comments

Very nice shot Stuart. The highlights need to be brighter though. Add a curves layer and set a white point on one of those highlights above the front cascade and it will have more snap.

Jim Bullard
http://jimbullard.zenfolio.com

All Photos and Comments by Jim Bullard

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Peter Richter on 02/10/12 at 4:20 pm EST    
Registered on 11/10/10, 218 Posts, 2723 Comments

Stuart, the curved flow of the river, accentuated by the textures in the water, is interestingly counteracted by the sharp edged rocks to me. I appreciate your b&w processing very much, especially the fine tonal range.

Peter

Peter Richter
Vienna, Austria

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Peter Richter Gallery of Peter Richter

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Vance Gese on 02/10/12 at 8:06 pm EST    
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments

Love your composition, Stuart, and of course your always impeccable b/w processing. Love those reflections and textures in the rock. Fantastic.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Tony Kuyper on 02/11/12 at 2:41 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 364 Posts, 22328 Comments

Really like the comp and the textures, Stuart. Could maybe see stretching the contrast in the mid-tones to add more drama to the scene and it's textures.

Tony Kuyper
Luminosity Masks and other tutorials

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Tony Kuyper Gallery of Tony Kuyper

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Morris McClung on 02/11/12 at 3:08 pm EST    
Registered on 05/07/07, 670 Posts, 19650 Comments

Another example of your skill at composition and conversion of a scanned slide to replicate the qualities of Ilford film perfectly. All of the nuances of tone are brought out here. And the contrast of smooth water and sharp edged rocks is striking.

Morris McClung
Parker, Colorado

Website

"If it is more than 6 feet from the car, it is not photogenic." Edward Weston to Ansel Adams

“He who works with his hands is a laborer.
He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman.
He who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist.”

¯ St. Francis of Assisi

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Morris McClung Gallery of Morris McClung

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 02/11/12 at 7:47 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Stuart, This is very, very nice. Wonderful composition and I totally enjoy the black & white film. As mentioned the contrast between the rushing water and the sharp rocks is impressive. I keep looking at this one.

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stan Rose on 02/12/12 at 10:36 pm EST    
Registered on 09/15/05, 836 Posts, 17099 Comments
Comment last edited by Stan Rose on 02/12/12 at 10:38 pm EST

Wicked! I love the perspective and dynamics here. I could go for a tiny bit more contrast in the stream. Hope you didnt hurt yourself--you left a bloody palm print in the lrhc...
EDIT: I just read Jim's comment--i agree and disagree--i think if you deepen the darks the highlites will be plenty bright.

Stan Rose
Pueblo, Colorado
stanroseimages.com
New! Weather Forecasting for Photographers
[url=http://www.stanroseimages.com/product/weather_for_photographers/]EBook[/url]

All Photos and Comments by Stan Rose

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stuart Williams on 02/13/12 at 12:41 am EST    

thanks to all for comments. i will continue playing with the contrast (obviously tweaks here and there may help) - i'm pretty content with the highlights but will try deepening some of the other tones - thanks again!

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

"one's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things" - henry miller

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Stuart Williams Gallery of Stuart Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Wayne Jones on 02/13/12 at 7:56 pm EST    
Registered on 04/18/07, 953 Posts, 6435 Comments

Stuart, Wonderfully action-packed comp. Since the contrast in the rocks looks perfect, I am guessing that the comments about the stream reflect the fact that the water may not have been not crystal clear, or downright muddy or stained. If the water was perfectly clear, then we would expect more contrast there. Satisfying both realism and expectations can be a difficult ballancing act.

Wayne Jones
Upstate New York

The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the composer; but when the last individual of a race of living beings breathes no more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be again. William Beebe, 1906

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Wayne Jones Gallery of Wayne Jones

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stuart Williams on 02/13/12 at 11:47 pm EST    

wayne - you hit it: the water was certainly not crystal clear and now I understand the comments to a greater degree. this is the ewaso ng'iro - meaning "river of mud" - never crystal clear and rarely better than murky. more, the water was high and full of sediments. thanks for comments to all.

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Stuart Williams Gallery of Stuart Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership