Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

untimely resting place
Photo posted by Stuart Williams in the Man & Fauna gallery on 02/09/12 at 03:47 am EST
Registered on 12/07/07, 247 Posts, 4792 Comments

in november 2011, the ewaso ng'iro river in north-central kenya came down in a massive flood, the likes of which hadn't been seen before. this is primarily because of changes to land use that have occurred upstream over the past sixty years: human impacts. on the whole the land use changes had resulted in declined water flow (because of higher levels of water abstraction upstream); but on this occasion, a huge downpour meant that all the water rushed down the rivers. and took everything with it - including elephants. this the the final resting place for this elephant's skull - the rest of his/her skeleton (and still rotting remains) were some 300 metres further upstream wedged between some rocks. a number of elephants were caught and drowned in the flood; what prompted them to try to cross or get caught in the flood, no-one knows.

this is precisely how i found it - nothing changed, i just made the photograph in the evening light. thanks for looking.

mamiya 7ii, 43mm lens, ilford delta b&w film, tripod.

sabuk, kenya

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

"one's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things" - henry miller

NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Stuart Williams Gallery of Stuart Williams
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Patricia Brundage on 02/09/12 at 06:02 am EST    
Registered on 03/23/06, 1111 Posts, 6531 Comments

Dramatic weather changes are a fact throughout the world. Sad story told well with this image.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Patricia Brundage Gallery of Patricia Brundage

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Avi Hirschfield on 02/09/12 at 07:21 am EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 518 Posts, 2114 Comments

Stuart that skull seems so small for an elephant.
I seem to have lost proportion here( its the age )
Its interesting what animals do when there is a natural disaster in progress

Creativity is GOD'S gift to us.
Using our creativity is our gift to other's.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Avi  Hirschfield Gallery of Avi  Hirschfield

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Philip Hodgkins on 02/09/12 at 10:14 am EST    
Registered on 07/24/06, 2741 Posts, 12349 Comments

A puzzle of a photograph, but just excellent in b/w!

Phil Hodgkins
Savannah, Georgia
NPN # 1998
Flora Gallery Co-moderator

“The task is...not so much to see what no one has yet seen; but to think what nobody has yet thought, about that which everybody sees.”
― Erwin Schrödinger

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Philip Hodgkins Gallery of Philip Hodgkins

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stuart Williams on 02/09/12 at 2:15 pm EST    
Registered on 12/07/07, 247 Posts, 4792 Comments

avi - the skull appears small because of the proportions of the rock and there's little else to put it into perspective. it actually is from an individual roughly late teens/20 years old (from the teeth) so it would have been a fairly big elephant!!

elephants are usually remarkably sensible when it comes to natural disasters - i recall tales of the sri lankan elephants and the 2004 tsunami.

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

"one's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things" - henry miller

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Stuart Williams Gallery of Stuart Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Tonia Graves on 02/13/12 at 2:45 pm EST    
Registered on 10/29/11, 92 Posts, 1035 Comments

Pretty stark image w/ the skull against the background. Really like the tones in this!

Tonia L. Graves
Tucson, AZ

All Photos and Comments by Tonia Graves

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Hank Pennington on 02/13/12 at 11:41 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 226 Posts, 1532 Comments

This is really compelling Stuart. I just can't stop looking at it. The BW helps but the swirling shapes just won't free my eye. I still can't decide which is "right side up" even though you're presenting it as shot! With the back story of events, it's very effective.

Hank
Kodiak, Alaska

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." -A. Einstein

"In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." ~ Thomas Jefferson

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Hank Pennington Gallery of Hank Pennington

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership