Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

symphony in B minor
Photo posted by Stuart Williams in the Landscape gallery on 02/05/12 at 09:15 am EST
Registered on 12/07/07, 247 Posts, 4792 Comments

among the travels and travails over the past seven months, i spent a little over three weeks in canada visiting the in-laws (and various other out-laws). a few days escape took us canoe camping to parc de la maurice to find some peace and space. but rather than be filled with music, aside from the haunting calls of the loon, it was eerily silent. the light was the music, still and beautiful.

thanks for the comments on my last post - most helpful and appreciated - and thanks for taking a look at this. again, your comments and thoughts are appreciated.

hasselblad 500c/m, 150mm, delta 100 b&w film.
parc de la maurice, quebec, canada.

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

"one's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things" - henry miller

NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Stuart Williams Gallery of Stuart Williams
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anthony Vincent on 02/05/12 at 12:30 pm EST    
Registered on 02/05/09, 199 Posts, 2775 Comments

One of those images that strikes a 'chord' with me. Simple and effective. I too love the haunting call of loons, one of my favorite birds.
Great image Stuart

Anthony Vincent
"There are many things in life that will catch your eye.
But only a few will catch your heart. Pursue those."

All Photos and Comments by Anthony Vincent

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 02/05/12 at 12:35 pm EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

Very nice image. Excellent mood and artistry to this. I do find the upper half is a little washed out, and I prefer this as a horizontal cropped just above the darker reeds. Just my subjective opinion, of course.

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stuart Williams on 02/05/12 at 12:50 pm EST    

you're right - scott - it could work with a crop as well. let's see if anybody else mentions this. thanks for the comment - appreciated. thanks too anthony.

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

"one's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things" - henry miller

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Stuart Williams Gallery of Stuart Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ant on 02/05/12 at 2:04 pm EST    
Registered on 04/13/09, 27 Posts, 474 Comments

Spendid, minimal and extremely attracting. Where really less is more... I like it a lot. It reminds me of some
old elemental landscapes of Harry Callahan (the photographer, not the detective...).

Antonello Provenzale, Italy

All Photos and Comments by Ant

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Morris McClung on 02/05/12 at 3:14 pm EST    
Registered on 05/07/07, 670 Posts, 19650 Comments

And a beautiful score it is.
There is an element of mystery with the mist in the top half, but it does work as a crop to. Well, now you have two shots for the price of one.

Morris McClung
Parker, Colorado

Website

"If it is more than 6 feet from the car, it is not photogenic." Edward Weston to Ansel Adams

“He who works with his hands is a laborer.
He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman.
He who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist.”

¯ St. Francis of Assisi

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Morris McClung Gallery of Morris McClung

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Greg Lessard on 02/05/12 at 4:04 pm EST    
Registered on 01/14/09, 38 Posts, 219 Comments

Interesting composition and title. I like the repeated patterns of the grasses, although I would be tempted to crop the upper portion just above the foreground grasses. What inspired the title?

Greg Lessard
http://greglessardphotography.com/

Blog: http://blog.greglessardphotography.com/

All Photos and Comments by Greg Lessard

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Teller on 02/05/12 at 4:06 pm EST    
Registered on 08/23/10, 1162 Posts, 6692 Comments

I really like the simple comp. of this image. The crop is fine as is, but I also think there are other crops that could even focus the attention on the prominent stems at the front of the image.

Richard Teller
Scottsbluff, NE
teller-nature-photography.redframe.com

The mountains and the seashore scream at you, but the prairie whispers and you have to stop and listen.
Don't shoot what it looks like, shoot what it feels like. David Alan Harvey

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Richard Teller Gallery of Richard Teller

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Danny Laureys on 02/05/12 at 4:43 pm EST    
Registered on 01/05/08, 590 Posts, 1261 Comments

Love this, I would either crop this also or clone out the lighter reeds,which would give you more empty space above, which I like.But I think I would go for the crop on this one

Danny Laureys
Beaverton,Oregon

"Once destroyed, nature's beauty cannot be repurchased at any price." Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Danny Laureys Gallery of Danny Laureys

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Vance Gese on 02/05/12 at 5:08 pm EST    
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments

Absolutely love the design of your image, Stuart. The strong graphic appeal of these grasses set against that wonderful light gray makes these grasses appear to be suspended in mid air. I also love the contrast between the foreground grasses and those in the background; the further grasses almost act like a soft echo of those in front and to me further your title / intent. While I can appreciate the suggestions on a crop, I wouldn't touch this, in all honesty. This is superb as presented, a stunning b/w image.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 02/05/12 at 5:17 pm EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

Beautiful and minimalistic Stuart. I really like it just the way it is since a crop would make this loose its very ethereal character.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jean Day on 02/05/12 at 9:18 pm EST    
Registered on 04/10/11, 36 Posts, 306 Comments

I also see two lovely comps here, each one strong enough to stand on its own.

All Photos and Comments by Jean Day

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stuart Williams on 02/05/12 at 11:29 pm EST    

thanks to all for comments - all very much appreciated. like you all, i presume, i walk out of the door with a camera in hand and then try to live within the frame that it presents. each camera has it's own frame - that which one can see within the viewfinder and maybe translated one day into a print. i use the hassy quite a lot at present - i enjoy the fact that i can carry two or three magazines, each loaded with a different film; i enjoy the glass afforded by the zeiss lenses - so i live within the 6x6 frame that comes with it. (and i believe i would enjoy working with a 5x4 - for the added control that one would have over the exposure - development process to produce fine negatives.) i rarely - very rarely - look at a scene and think, okay, i will crop this down. hence my preconception was largely borne out here. the crop has merits no doubt, but i'm living comfortably with this as it is.

as for the title, greg, it seemed to me that the grasses were as musical notes; maybe a touch unfinished, as with schubert ...

thanks again to all. happy to hear what anyone else has to say!

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Stuart Williams Gallery of Stuart Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Baumbach on 02/06/12 at 08:22 am EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 473 Posts, 7980 Comments

This is very nice. It reminds me a bit of Michael Kenna.

- Dan

--------------------
Dan Baumbach
http://www.timelesslight.com
[url]http://danbaumbach.wordpress.com[/url]

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Baumbach Gallery of Dan Baumbach

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Marcellini on 02/06/12 at 12:25 pm EST    
Registered on 11/27/07, 250 Posts, 2468 Comments

I love it, lots of comps available but this one works as well as any.

Miami, Fl
Facebook
[url=https://plus.google.com/u/0/me/posts] G+[/url]
   [url=http://www.paulmarcellini.com/product/everglades-photography-e-book/]The Ultimate Guide to Everglades Photography[/url]

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Marcellini Gallery of Paul Marcellini

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 02/06/12 at 3:26 pm EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

Very Pretty Stuart. I like the minimal approach you've taken. I like the composition and format you've chosen, but agree a horizontal format would work as well. Nicely seen.

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 02/06/12 at 6:21 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Beautiful. Works as presented and works cropped down. Real sweet and simple!

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stan Rose on 02/06/12 at 7:35 pm EST    
Registered on 09/15/05, 836 Posts, 17099 Comments

Maybe im just having deja vu, but im pretty sure ive seen this before, or something similar from you. Anyhow, looks perfect to me, i wouldnt crop at all, the top guys really add a lot here.

Stan Rose
Pueblo, Colorado
stanroseimages.com
New! Weather Forecasting for Photographers
[url=http://www.stanroseimages.com/product/weather_for_photographers/]EBook[/url]

All Photos and Comments by Stan Rose

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Zack Clothier on 02/07/12 at 10:58 am EST    
Registered on 01/28/10, 343 Posts, 2257 Comments

Wonderfully simple and effective, nice work Stuart.

Zack Clothier
Silver Gate, Montana
Website

Follow Me On Facebook
500px

All Photos and Comments by Zack Clothier

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stuart Williams on 02/07/12 at 12:47 pm EST    

just deja vu, stan - or something. i have, i confess, posted some reeds before but not quite like this. the moment caught my eye and i couldn't resist!

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 02/07/12 at 2:24 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Loons...my favorite sound in nature! This is a wonderful image Stuart! I really love the feel of this, and perfect just as it is for me. Excellent work!

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership