Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Shoka #1
Photo posted by Gary Yeoh in the Flora gallery on 01/30/12 at 12:00 am EST
Registered on 09/01/09, 588 Posts, 8184 Comments
Post last edited by Gary Yeoh on 01/30/12 at 12:22 am EST

Ikebana class has resumed for 2012 and we started on a new form called the Shoka. This form evolved from the earlier Moribana style. It is very regimented with strict rules on arrangement and full of symbolism. Traditionally, the Shoka arrangement is placed in an alcove in the guest room with a paper door/window on one side where the light stream into the room. In this arrangement, the flowers (can be 1,2 or 3 types; total number of stem is odd number - 7 in the case) are arranged in a straight line is supposed to be viewed only from the front. Because of the placement of the arrangement in the room, one half is brighter (yang) and the other is dimmer (yin). The main stem (shin) is placed in the center, the middle stem (soe) to the rear and left and the short stem (tai) to the front and right [you will be able to see this easier in the second image below taken at right angle]. All three stems are supported by ancillary stems (ashirai). Shin symbolizes the Man (also include the mind and heart), Soe symbolizes the heavens and Tai symbolizes the earth. Man can be tempered by heaven and earth (making the main stem is slightly curved) but in the end the righteous man/mind is centered (the tip of the main stem is plum vertical with the base and completely centered if viewed from the top). There are other nuances such as the curve and deviation of the stems from the verticals, ratio of the Shin, Soe & Tai, height of the stem base from the water surface etc in the arrangement.

Hope you enjoy looking at this as much as I did in making the arrangement. I tried to capture the symbolism of yin-yang (male-female; dominant-submissive; bright-dark etc) in the image by making the left side brighter than the left.

Gary Yeoh
Hong Kong

The Mystical Garden Project

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Gary Yeoh Gallery of Gary Yeoh
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Gary Yeoh on 01/30/12 at 12:00 am EST    
Registered on 09/01/09, 588 Posts, 8184 Comments

Side profile.

Gary Yeoh
Hong Kong

The Mystical Garden Project

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Gary Yeoh Gallery of Gary Yeoh

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Patricia Brundage on 01/30/12 at 12:13 am EST    
Registered on 03/23/06, 1111 Posts, 6531 Comments

I enjoy all of your classic arrangements. This one is special because of its simplicity and how the line is carried through to the base of the vase. The subtle shadow grounds the image. Beautiful!

Do wish there were classes in this area. Would love to learn this skill.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Patricia Brundage Gallery of Patricia Brundage

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 01/30/12 at 08:42 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Gary, It's a striking arrangement of one of my favorite prairie flowers (Liatris) and the vase with it's thin colored line adds a lot. I'm amazed that the original post is the same as the 2nd image. The original post looks like multiple flowers branching from a single stalk. The subtle shadows and the slight intensity variation across the background pull everything together into a spectacular image.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bob Duff on 01/30/12 at 09:53 am EST    
Registered on 04/21/10, 160 Posts, 1675 Comments

Thank for this Gary. I hadn't of this style before so it nice to learn new approaches. It's also great that you showed the profile shot as well to be understand the technique. Looking forward to seeing more of this style.

All Photos and Comments by Bob Duff

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 01/30/12 at 9:58 pm EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

Thanks for the quick lesson on Shoka Ikebana. Very interesting. I learn something new every day here. I like the arrangement, especially the side profile. I have tons of Liatris in my garden and I am planning to copy your arrangement for my office this summer.

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nathan Buck on 01/31/12 at 7:30 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 1101 Posts, 13589 Comments

I love the line in the vase, and the subtle color on the stems Gary. Thank you for such an in-depth, detailed lesson on this type of Ikebana. I enjoyed learning about it very much!

The second shot really emphasizes your point nicely!

Nathan

Nathan Buck
Lehi, UT, USA
NPN 1118

Brutal honesty encouraged and appreciated in critiquing! Thank you.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nathan Buck Gallery of Nathan Buck

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Roger Kirchen on 01/31/12 at 9:10 pm EST    
Registered on 03/06/11, 95 Posts, 847 Comments

Very appealing composition. I like the colors and the simplicity of the arrangement. The subtle lighting adds to this. Thanks for all the explanations.

Roger Kirchen
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Roger Kirchen Gallery of Roger Kirchen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Fach on 02/02/12 at 1:22 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 1805 Posts, 26981 Comments
Comment last edited by Bill Fach on 02/02/12 at 1:23 pm EST

Gary: The thumbnail gives NO clue as to how good this is. The subtle pastels of the vase, BG and shadows are wonderful. This is a captivating shot. >=))>

PS: I think I like the second view even better.

Bill Fach
Soli Deo Gloria
www.sdgimages.com
Houston, Texas
Flora Gallery Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Fach Gallery of Bill Fach

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lorna Taylor on 02/03/12 at 5:58 pm EST    
Registered on 11/12/10, 254 Posts, 3083 Comments

Beautifully lit flower Gary, love the center placement it really works here. It is amazing that the side profile lines up so perfectly and just turning the plant is a whole other plant all together with the fan view. Thanks for the amazing education in to flower arrangement.

WWW.Taylorimages.ca
http://www.flickr.com/
Alberta, Canada

All Photos and Comments by Lorna Taylor

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Howard Cheek on 07/16/12 at 07:19 am EST    
Registered on 07/24/08, 1201 Posts, 10758 Comments

Of the two, I like the side profile best Gary.
I read your notes and appreciate the lesson in the "evolved" Shoka art form.
You da man! How's that for nuance

Howard Cheek
Kempner, TX

"Look deep, deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better" ~ Albert Einstein

HowardCheekPhotography.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Howard Cheek Gallery of Howard Cheek

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership