Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Little Blue Boat
Photo posted by Ian Cameron in the Man & Nature gallery on 01/21/12 at 12:05 pm EST
Registered on 08/06/04, 1125 Posts, 3318 Comments
Post last edited by Jim Erhardt on 02/01/12 at 09:46 am EST

Ardessie, Dundonnell, Scotland

This little blue boat has been tied up out here for a good long while I suppose it will be refloated again in the summertime but for now it has a lonely existence facing the worst the Scottish weather can throw at it. On this particular afternoon we experienced some wonderfully luminous light from a light sky behind which amplified the foreground light making the grass glow enthusiastically while beyond a filthy black sky prepares to unleash hail and freezing rain.

Please view LARGE...

NEW!! Photographic workshops and masterclasses and fine art cards are now available at TRANSIENT LIGHT

Pentax 67 II ,55-100 zoom
0.6ND grad + polariser, f/22 at 8 seconds. Velvia

Ian Cameron
Transient Light

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Ian Cameron Gallery of Ian Cameron
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bob&Charly Nelson on 01/21/12 at 5:45 pm EST    
Registered on 10/27/05, 289 Posts, 4202 Comments

Ian, the light, comp and colors put this over the top for me. Superb work in my opinion.
Bob

All Photos and Comments by Bob&Charly  Nelson

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Gary Reed on 01/21/12 at 10:55 pm EST    
Registered on 09/19/09, 198 Posts, 1074 Comments

Nice complimentary colours here between foreground and clouds. The little blue boat really pops.

All Photos and Comments by Gary Reed

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Barbara Graham on 01/22/12 at 07:32 am EST    
Registered on 07/27/10, 1310 Posts, 5035 Comments

I love the light and colors and the whole look of this image.

Barbara Graham
Decatur, Georgia

"We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Barbara Graham Gallery of Barbara Graham

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 01/22/12 at 07:42 am EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments
Comment last edited by Eva McDermott on 01/23/12 at 9:22 pm EST

The wonderful, eerie storm light really makes that little electric blue boat jump right off the screen and that gloomy sky makes an excellent backdrop Ian.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 01/22/12 at 1:38 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Ian, This is wonderful! I love the mood you captured here, and that light is awesome. The blue and green colors look fantastic with that ominous looking sky. Beautiful work! as usuall from you.

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Rob Graham on 01/22/12 at 9:53 pm EST    
Registered on 08/22/06, 842 Posts, 2824 Comments

For some reason, my first thought was that this was in Scotland, before I looked to see who posted the image. I agree with the others that the dark clouds really make the boat pop.

Rob Graham
Kansas, USA
Facebook
Website

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Rob Graham Gallery of Rob Graham

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Gary McGhee on 01/23/12 at 07:31 am EST    
Registered on 04/15/10, 142 Posts, 2416 Comments

Lovely weathered old boat Ian,

Gary.

Gary McGhee,
Wirral,
UK.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Gary McGhee Gallery of Gary McGhee

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bob Duff on 01/23/12 at 8:23 pm EST    
Registered on 04/21/10, 160 Posts, 1675 Comments

Ian, the light is fantastic. What I also really like is the repeating diagonals of the boat gunnels, the hill on the left and the diagonal through the cloud formations all working together. Also the colours of the distant water and horizon repeating the colour tones of the boat. Most excellent.

All Photos and Comments by Bob Duff

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 01/24/12 at 6:21 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Love the boat and the poppin' blue. Very well done.

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kah Kit Yoong on 01/31/12 at 11:06 pm EST    
Registered on 09/27/06, 636 Posts, 10682 Comments

A really engaging array of coolish tones here.

Landscape and M&N Gallery Moderator
Melbourne, Australia
Blog : [url]http://www.magichourunplugged.com/[/url]

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kah Kit Yoong Gallery of Kah Kit Yoong

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by SandyRichardsBrown on 02/01/12 at 12:26 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/03, 3937 Posts, 12909 Comments

Exceptional colour palette here, and incredible skies.
Congrats on the WP!
Sandy

Sandy Richards-Brown, NPN #0367
Brookings, Oregon (summer/fall) and Sedona, Arizona (winter/spring)   
PNW and RMNP  Regional Member 
NATURE'S MAJESTY IMAGING
http://naturesmajestyimaging.zenfolio.com/

"All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
Each little flower that opens, Each little bird that sings, He made their glowing colors, He made their tiny wings."

- Ce­cil F. Al­ex­an­der, Hymns for Lit­tle Child­ren, 1848, Ireland

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by SandyRichardsBrown Gallery of SandyRichardsBrown

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Catherine Reilly on 02/01/12 at 6:36 pm EST    
Registered on 08/16/06, 603 Posts, 9192 Comments

This is so dramatic, Ian! The way the boat is lashed down to those poles says so much about the location. The "filthy black sky" is what I refer to in the securing of the boat. The comp, as is usual for you, puts all in a perspective with impact. I hoped this would win a Pick for you, and here it is.

Catherine Reilly
Seattle, WA
Ad lucem quam inhabitas--
To the light wherein Thou doest dwell

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Catherine Reilly Gallery of Catherine Reilly

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Phillip Noll on 02/05/12 at 11:07 pm EST    
Registered on 11/17/03, 207 Posts, 1083 Comments

Overall I find this an intriguing shot. I love the blue boat on the yellow-green grass and the threatening storm clouds really set the mood. The portion of the sky that is magenta bugs me though. Just doesn't look natural to my eye. I find the image stronger without the magenta sky in it.

Phillip Noll
Raven Mountain Images
Facebook Fan Page

Lost Almost, NM

"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only paradise we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need, if only we had the eyes to see." —Edward Abbey

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Phillip Noll Gallery of Phillip Noll

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Julia Flanagan on 02/07/12 at 5:59 pm EST    
Registered on 11/13/03, 59 Posts, 986 Comments

The magenta cast in the dark sky and the thin line of blue in the distant water really compliment the blue boat.Well seen.

Julie
Bristow, Virginia
"How many are your works, O LORD! In wisdom you made them all; the earth is full of your creatures." Ps.104:24.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Julia Flanagan Gallery of Julia Flanagan

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ian Cameron on 02/09/12 at 01:06 am EST    
Registered on 08/06/04, 1125 Posts, 3318 Comments
Comment last edited by Ian Cameron on 02/09/12 at 01:07 am EST

Well i dont quite know what to say i have checked this picture out on my ipad (not the best method granted), my high end calibrated home monitor and a friends calibrated monitor in Canada and I just can't see anything approaching a strong or at least obvious magenta cast in the sky. All images seem ostensibly the same. Admittedly the image matches my tranny pretty accurately but to my eyes at least it seems just normal..

Ian Cameron
Transient Light

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ian Cameron Gallery of Ian Cameron

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership