Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Lotus
Photo posted by Gary Yeoh in the Flora gallery on 12/07/11 at 09:49 am EST
Registered on 09/01/09, 588 Posts, 8184 Comments
Post last edited by Gary Yeoh on 01/11/12 at 7:56 pm EST

Have been doing too much radiography work these past months and neglecting camera shoots. This one is shot this summer. Although this lotus is not as pristine as others I have posted, I like the pose and how the pads framed the flower.

D90 300mmF4+1.7TC F6.7 1/640 iso400 tripod. Thanks for viewing and C&C appreciated.

Gary Yeoh
Hong Kong

The Mystical Garden Project

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Gary Yeoh Gallery of Gary Yeoh
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Tonia Graves on 12/07/11 at 1:17 pm EST    
Registered on 10/29/11, 92 Posts, 1035 Comments

Gary, follow your heart & your interests! I like the elegance of this flower. I find myself wanting to see a comp where the flower is in the lower left corner w/ more space on the right. Not sure if that would have been possible though. Either way it is still a superb image!

Tonia L. Graves
Tucson, AZ

All Photos and Comments by Tonia Graves

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mauro Pasquero on 12/07/11 at 3:03 pm EST    
Registered on 01/21/10, 650 Posts, 2500 Comments

Awesome picture, Gary.
You already know I love your classic camera shot !
I miss them from time to time
Mauro

Mauro Pasquero
Pino Torinese - Torino
Italy

All Photos and Comments by Mauro Pasquero

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 12/07/11 at 4:54 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Oh yes, Gary! The details in the lotus bloom are terrific. I also like the hide and seek sense that the foreground leaf gives and the subtle purple in the petal tips.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 12/07/11 at 8:16 pm EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

Gary, you are the master of the lotus, and I do like the fan shape of the leaf in the lower left, but I'd still be tempted to crop the left side to center the flower which is looking out of the frame. I realize that this suggestion is based on a standard rule of comp, and that rules of comp are meant to be broken in the interest of originality, but, in this case, I think this would make this even better. However, it's a beautiful image just as is as well.

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Gary Yeoh on 12/07/11 at 8:54 pm EST    
Registered on 09/01/09, 588 Posts, 8184 Comments

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Tonia, Mark & Scott:
I know this image breaks the rule of composition. I have indeed tried various crop as you have suggested but ended including the large shape pad which actually moves around with the wind (and hence the high iso) causing the lotus to come in and out of view... playing hide and seek as Mark said.

Gary Yeoh
Hong Kong

The Mystical Garden Project

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Gary Yeoh Gallery of Gary Yeoh

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Todd Bielby on 12/08/11 at 1:55 pm EST    
Registered on 03/10/11, 169 Posts, 392 Comments

Love the shot Gary. Makes me miss the summer already.

All Photos and Comments by Todd Bielby

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Albert Darmo on 12/08/11 at 10:02 pm EST    
Registered on 11/25/08, 1386 Posts, 11978 Comments

Hi Gary The Lotus flower is looking to the right, but has more room on the left i think a crop on the left would make it even better. The detail and color are captivating!! what a fascinating subject
Albert Darmo
Canada

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Albert Darmo Gallery of Albert Darmo

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ian Wolfenden on 12/09/11 at 07:54 am EST    
Registered on 05/18/07, 1108 Posts, 7647 Comments

The eccentricity of the composition is the highlight for me here, Gary - you get the sense of the flower peeping out and yearning to be photographed ! Apart, perhaps, from the uppermost petal the flower looks pretty pristine to me.

Manchester, England

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ian Wolfenden Gallery of Ian Wolfenden

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Pat Sampson on 12/10/11 at 7:48 pm EST    
Registered on 05/19/07, 953 Posts, 15989 Comments

Superb comp and crystal crispness. Exceptional image for my tastes Gary.

pat

Patrick Sampson

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Pat Sampson Gallery of Pat Sampson

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Fach on 12/10/11 at 7:52 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 1805 Posts, 26981 Comments

Gary: Brilliant comp of a stunning subject. I always love your lotus shots. This one is a real treat. >=))>

Bill Fach
Soli Deo Gloria
www.sdgimages.com
Houston, Texas
Flora Gallery Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Fach Gallery of Bill Fach

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Giuseppe Guadagno on 12/11/11 at 5:11 pm EST    
Registered on 02/03/07, 827 Posts, 5052 Comments

Gary, I like very much the color and light contrasts between petals and leaves. This make the photo for me.
Take care.

Gigi

I never stop going out in search of the beautiful picture that - for my great luck - I will never take.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Giuseppe Guadagno Gallery of Giuseppe Guadagno

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership