Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Aloes among ruins
Photo posted by Stuart Williams in the Man & Nature gallery on 09/27/11 at 05:08 am EST
Registered on 12/07/07, 247 Posts, 4792 Comments

In June/July this year, I spent a day at the Great Zimbabwe ruins. This was part of a family road trip but the family were gracious enough to allow me to wander the site for the entire day. The day was not chosen for the light it offered; instead, an unpredictable series of events meant that that was the day on which we happened to visit the ruins and I had to live with the light that happened along. It was no bad thing. There was unseasonal rain in the previous days which continued on as a light drizzle in the morning of the visit. This lifted through the day and the site was flooded with warm light towards the end of the day.

The central area of the ruins is called the Valley Complex - constructed in the 14th Century. It has been taken over by tall aloes.

I produced a PDF of the images that I made from that day. This can be downloaded from the following link:

One Day At Great Zimbabwe

Thanks for taking a look; please look at the L A R G E R version. Let me know your thoughts and comments.

Hasselblad 500c/m, 150mm, tripod. Ilford Delta 100 b&w film.

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

"one's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things" - henry miller

NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Stuart Williams Gallery of Stuart Williams
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Barbara Graham on 09/27/11 at 08:30 am EST    
Registered on 07/27/10, 1310 Posts, 5035 Comments

Stuart, this is great. The arrangement of the elements is so perfect it looks like a drawing. Wonderfully seen and captured.

Barbara Graham
Decatur, Georgia

"We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Barbara Graham Gallery of Barbara Graham

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Karsten Wrobel on 09/27/11 at 3:00 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/08, 117 Posts, 851 Comments

Stuart, I love the shapes of those plants (what are they, they look huge?)... love the processing, looks like an image straight out of a book about Africa from 100 years ago...

Karsten Wrobel
Munich, Germany

All Photos and Comments by Karsten Wrobel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dietrich Gloger on 09/28/11 at 2:49 pm EST    
Registered on 01/26/07, 360 Posts, 9876 Comments

Hi Stuart, I have seen your image yesterday (or this morning) and planned to make a comment when I get the time. Now I saw your comment on my image - thanks!
So, as usually, your bw work immediatly impressess me with the subtle, but clearly noticable aesthetic and meaning. Hard to express in words (and in a photograph). This shows a very unspectacular scene, but I see it is well selected and "designed" and it works on many levels. Another interesting aspect is the compressed isolated view, while still a sense of distance and depth is conveyed. Excellent photograph!

I am downloading....

Dietrich ("Didl") Gloger, Linz-Vienna, Austria.
Wista DX, 4x5", Provia and Velvia.
Canon EOS 5D,
EF 24-105mm; EF 70-200mm IS; TS-E 45mm;
www.dietrichgloger.at

All Photos and Comments by Dietrich Gloger

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 09/29/11 at 4:34 pm EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

The trees look like alien creatures and you've caught their attention. I like the sepia tones and high key treatment and the ethereal effect they produce.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stuart Williams on 09/30/11 at 05:39 am EST    
Registered on 12/07/07, 247 Posts, 4792 Comments

thanks to all for comments. hope that the download was worth it, dietrich!

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

"one's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things" - henry miller

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Stuart Williams Gallery of Stuart Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dietrich Gloger on 09/30/11 at 11:03 am EST    
Registered on 01/26/07, 360 Posts, 9876 Comments

yes, downloading was worth it. Very interesting compositions, perspectives and light. Inspiring stuff Stuart!

Dietrich ("Didl") Gloger, Linz-Vienna, Austria.
Wista DX, 4x5", Provia and Velvia.
Canon EOS 5D,
EF 24-105mm; EF 70-200mm IS; TS-E 45mm;
www.dietrichgloger.at

All Photos and Comments by Dietrich Gloger

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mia McPherson on 10/02/11 at 6:54 pm EST    
Registered on 06/25/07, 491 Posts, 12566 Comments

I really like this image, especially in B & W. The way you composed this with the ruins leading inwards brings my eyes to the shapes and textures of the Aloes. Very well executed.

Mia
Utah

Web Site/Blog

When we do the best that we can, we never know what miracle is wrought in our life, or in the life of another.
Helen Keller

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mia McPherson Gallery of Mia McPherson

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership