Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Birdwings swallowtail
Photo posted by Gary Yeoh in the Macro & Close-up gallery on 08/10/11 at 07:26 am EST
Registered on 09/01/09, 588 Posts, 8184 Comments
Post last edited by Gary Yeoh on 08/31/11 at 01:04 am EST

This is the other BF which is new to my photo collection from last week's shoot at the BF reserve. The birdwings (Troides helena) is one of the largest butterfly in HK with wingspan of over 8 inches. It is a fast flyer and resembles a bird in flight. This is a female which has an additional row of black markings in her hindwings.

This encounter lasted only for about 1 minute and I did not have a good angle and the vegetation was rather thick. I have darkened and selectively blurred the bg to make the bf stand out.

D90 105mm f2.8 1/1600sec HH. Thanks for viewing and C&C appreciated.

Gary Yeoh
Hong Kong

The Mystical Garden Project

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Gary Yeoh Gallery of Gary Yeoh
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Adam Seward on 08/10/11 at 08:27 am EST    
Registered on 10/18/07, 6 Posts, 14 Comments

You've done well to capture this, I know they aren't easy. Its a nice shot. Seem to be some odd edge artefacts on the flowers to the bottom left of the butterfly though - I guess to do with the selective blurring.

Adam Seward
www.earthinfocus.com
www.adamseward.co.uk

All Photos and Comments by Adam Seward

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ingrid Vekemans on 08/10/11 at 12:01 pm EST    
Registered on 08/02/10, 138 Posts, 780 Comments

And it stands out alright - lovely shot, very crisp, beautiful butterfly!

Ingrid Vekemans
Safaris & Workshops
www.ingridvekemans.com
Life is like a box of chocolates...

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ingrid Vekemans Gallery of Ingrid Vekemans

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 08/10/11 at 10:03 pm EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

Very impressive subject and photo. For the web, I'd be tempted to crop from the top and left side (maybe a little off the right too) to focus on the BF and the pretty flowers on which its perched, but that would be an alternative image. The BG in this image nicely shows the BF in its environment.

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Teller on 08/10/11 at 11:47 pm EST    
Registered on 08/23/10, 1162 Posts, 6692 Comments

I like the setting very much. The focus on the butterfly is right on and the colors really pop. Fine image.

Richard Teller
Scottsbluff, NE
teller-nature-photography.redframe.com

The mountains and the seashore scream at you, but the prairie whispers and you have to stop and listen.
Don't shoot what it looks like, shoot what it feels like. David Alan Harvey

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Richard Teller Gallery of Richard Teller

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Carolyn Derstine on 08/11/11 at 4:09 pm EST    
Registered on 02/16/11, 610 Posts, 3684 Comments

What a beautiful BF! Great DOF of field focus on the butterfly. I like the pose of the butterfly but I do agree with Scott's suggestion for a crop; off the left and top plus a small amount on the right. That would emphasize the butterfly and flowers more IMO. Wow, 8" wingspan is a big butterfly! Would love to see one. Great capture, Gary!

Carolyn Derstine
Bucks County, PA
Weekly Challenge Moderator
   Allow yourself to be fascinated by the beauty in ordinary things,
so all things will prove to be extraordinary.

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Carolyn Derstine Gallery of Carolyn Derstine

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Roger Leekam on 08/17/11 at 07:14 am EST    
Registered on 05/28/09, 83 Posts, 646 Comments

Gary, really gorgeous color overall & excellent detail in the butterfly.

All Photos and Comments by Roger Leekam

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Monica Siri on 09/16/11 at 12:47 pm EST    
Registered on 09/20/09, 132 Posts, 3764 Comments

A beauty, Gary.

Monica Siri
Genova - Italy
All art is but imitation of nature. (Seneca)

All Photos and Comments by Monica Siri

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership