Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

monolithic moonshine
Photo posted by Stuart Williams in the Landscape gallery on 07/28/11 at 07:46 am EST
Registered on 12/07/07, 247 Posts, 4792 Comments
Post last edited by Stuart Williams on 07/28/11 at 07:48 am EST

I am back from my roadtrip - but back only briefly. The next few months promise to be even busier than the ones that have just past. I will pop in and out of NPN, uploading images occasionally and commenting whenever I can. Not wishing to tempt fate, I sharn't say what it is that is happening until it becomes a reality but there may be some fascinating possibilities opening up.

This is an image from the chimanimani mountains - on the wild and rarely visited mozambican side of the range. the mountains are filled with utterly compelling rock formations, many of which appeared to be marble. one could spend days, weeks exploring these. in the little time we had, i waited until everyone was asleep in their tents and wandered among the formations in the light of a half-moon. the clouds slid overhead, the stars shone. this is what i saw.

thanks for looking - viewing in darker room might help; let me know what you think.

d700, 17-35mm, tripod, remote release. two exposures for focal point and exposure (20s and 60s), blended manually. because of weight constraints, i carried my digital rig rather than medium format cameras for this part of the trip.

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

"one's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things" - henry miller

NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Stuart Williams Gallery of Stuart Williams
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Pam Colander on 07/28/11 at 10:18 am EST    
Registered on 12/07/06, 210 Posts, 1062 Comments
Comment last edited by Pam Colander on 07/28/11 at 1:47 pm EST

This is a really interesting image Stuart. The first thing that comes to mind is an ancient man gazing into the distance. The darkness of this doesn't bother me in the least, in fact it enhances the mysterious nature of it. Technically it looks superb. Love your narrative too!

PAM COLANDER
COLORADO
http://pamcolander.zenfolio.com/
   Follow and "Like Me" on Facebook
" He who thinks something cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it "
a Chinese proverb

All Photos and Comments by Pam Colander

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Matt Anderson on 07/28/11 at 10:32 am EST    
Registered on 09/06/07, 346 Posts, 2696 Comments

Reminds me of an old sci fi movie.
I really like the starry sky.

My Website My Instagram  My Facebook 500px 

Personal Website    Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Matt Anderson Gallery of Matt Anderson

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Phil Pogledich on 07/28/11 at 6:58 pm EST    
Registered on 08/24/09, 123 Posts, 3099 Comments

That cloud movement is very interesting . . . slightly wish it were appearing more from behind or above the rock, but not much you could do about that. I like the composition and the stars really add some interest.

Phil Pogledich
Davis, CA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Phil Pogledich Gallery of Phil Pogledich

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kent Mearig on 07/29/11 at 01:46 am EST    
Registered on 09/04/06, 237 Posts, 4748 Comments

Pretty unique scene, and it turns out to be quite beautiful as well. Thanks for sharing this.

Kent Mearig
Juneau, Alaska
"Make me a servant, humble and meek..." - Kelly Willard

All Photos and Comments by Kent Mearig

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Vance Gese on 07/29/11 at 11:58 pm EST    
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments

Incredible, Stuart. Your image has such an other-worldly feel to it that I find truly fascinating and amazing. Stunning work.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Boris Pophristov on 07/30/11 at 10:21 am EST    
Registered on 02/01/11, 15 Posts, 73 Comments

Wow! That's a wonderful nightscape! Very powerful composition!

Boris Pophristov Photography
http://pophristov.com
   Join me on Facebook
[url=http://twitter.com/pophristov]Follow me on Twitter[/url]

All Photos and Comments by Boris Pophristov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership